In the grip of the Spider Kissers (potential meta content)

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

In the grip of the Spider Kissers (potential meta content)

Post by Ithildur »

To provide some context/stuff to RP with for the folks that are in the Drow cell (you guys can log in RP amongst each other obviously, though anything that requires a DM to have the environment/NPCs respond ingame vs in this thread should be held off) before the next session:

http://www.alandfaraway.org/phpBB3/view ... =6&t=49348
As described in Rumple's Library post, the cell is far from comfortable; it's small, crowded, and it stinks, though not nearly as much as you'd expect given the circumstances... is it possible the Drow periodically make some effort to keep the confinement area at least somewhat sanitary? Unlikely they do so out of compassion...

There are several guards within sight range, at least half a dozen or so (though you suspect there are more not far off), with one very close to the locked cell constantly; there does seem to be a change of guard/rotation at least twice a day.

Somewhat surprisingly, the guards seem to ignore those inside the cage for the most part, letting you carry on as long as there's nothing too disruptive or suspicious going on. Perhaps they've concluded the three of you and the other Commoner type prisoners aren't enough of a threat to guard you more closely?

The other prisoners... there are a few nondescript Ffolk, a halfling that you don't recognize, and one large hulking fellow, also Ffolk by his looks, who when you arrived you noticed was injured to the point of being barely conscious. A woman occasionally tends to him as best as she can with a damp rag; she also keeps a close eye on the little human girl in the cell - Sara, Darian's daughter, whom you recognize from Sami's shop in Lowhill.

The light of hope and life in Sara's eyes seems somewhat dimmed in this place, but certainly not extinguished. She recognizes you apparently and immediately asks where her da is.

The halfling looks up with a momentary smile as he sees the three Hin PCs, and approaches to speak to you.

At the same time, a group of male Drow approach the cell; two of them wear robes, one of them much simpler in design (and status, you guess) than the other. The more distinguished looking drow waves his hand in front of his nose with a frown, turns to the other with a sneer, then points to the small bucket 'Ox' just used as he commands in Drow.

The entire group of Drow smirk and sneer as the unfortunate one steps closer to the cell; for a brief moment the look that this male gives his superior is visible to the prisoners: one of sheer hatred and resentment. Nevertheless he intones what some of you recognize as arcane utterances (though it is a spell none of you recognize), then points to the bucket, and in a matter of moments the bucket seems quite empty.

It seems these Drow are too good for even their slaveholding pens being allowed to offend their olfactory senses...

The Drow in the fancy robe watches with great amusement, then gestures with his hand towards the door; it unlocks and opens silently, and several of the prisoners inside instinctively draw back as two guards nearest the door step inside.

They start to grab 'Ox' and move to remove him from the cell.
Last edited by Ithildur on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
puny
Dungeon Master

Re: In the grip of the Spider Kissers

Post by puny »

Nettle will, as soon as the initial shock of realization wears of do what she knows best, helping the rest to put their mind to something else than their awefully shitty situation/taking care of people. She'll help the wounded man with healingspells, she'll share her share of whatever kind of food they're handed out with the rest, she'll play (summon instrument <3) and sing them songs and ofcourse also tell them story after made up storiy about how people escaping slavery, how people end up in good places, how people change their owners ways and view of the world and gets released or prove themself and earns freedom etcetera. she'll do her best to keep smiling despite the ods being against the chances of success for that particular goal.

Spoiler:

"To the song of wheels
All demons die
Rays of joy, they multiply
Harmony, you will be my bride
But when the sun comes up
When the sun comes up
It will be on your side
It will be on our side"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=Klt ... =endscreen
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Re: In the grip of the Spider Kissers

Post by Galadorn »

((VERY cool, but my eyes turned into raisins from the meta-burn. :) not assuming i have any right to say it, and REALLY not being mean/inappropriate/elitist at all, and I will delete this post of course if you want it stricken from existence, but can't really hurt to ask: Ith, could you maybe put "(meta info within)" in the subject maybe for posts like this? i know eeeeveryone says they can 100% seperate meta knowledge from IC actions, but you know what? they can't :)... if not, hey, you're the DM and a damn good one deserving respect and appreciation always, so, carry on, it's all good. :)))
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: In the grip of the Spider Kissers (potential meta conten

Post by Ithildur »

((*shrug* Viigas and Curm didn't see problems with the TSM Underdark IC threads a couple of years ago. I'm really not that concerned in this particular scenario for a number of reasons, but if stuff does come up that is in fact sensitive I'll ask for edits. I trust that the players involved are aware enough to avoid silliness unless I see otherwise.

Thread title edited regardless, if it'll make you sleep better at night. 8) If you want to bring Bu over, find a reasonable IC reason/hook and by all means... :twisted:

Strictly speaking, every thread in the IC forums contain meta info...))
Last edited by Ithildur on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

(( ..just seemed like such an extreme (exciting! but serious) situation to be in for those PCs, maybe even warranted it's own "Player Group" IC personal access-granted forum until it boils over or they all die... in which case the general poulace would not know about it :) ...i'm a sicko for surprises, even small ones, and thought maybe the amazing storytellers involved might post some kind of Library post about it "well after the fact" as per normal. Again, awesome stuff happening! :-P *readies a pack of travel gear to for no reason head to the UD(?)* ;-P ))
Matti
Dire Badger

Post by Matti »

The cell was quite simple in many ways, some cold stone, some ornate metal bars, lots of nasty looking darknessfookingdrow and the mandatory group of prisoners within. Most seemed quite disheartened and somewhat drained as would be expected as the chill stone kept seeping their warmth and the reality of them now being prisoners or even enslaved set in. His nibbling of his lower lip stopped as he bravely tried to offer a few smiles to the other prisoners along his efforts to compose himself laying on the floor as he was. His body ached all over, not only from all the cursed damn drows slashes, hits and that damn magic that they had thrown around but from the chill stone around them. His armor had once again been taken, not by the seabitch this time but by the slavers... His back and ribs hurt. He closed his eyes and cursed softly as the realization of why came along, his shield. The damn cursed shield was under him, shielding from some of the chill but his back and side had furrows of pain where the shields rim and straps had pushed. He slowly moved to sit on-top the cursed thing. Served him well enough with dents and nicks along its rim and face telling of its usefulness, but the unknown curse it carried seemed to hover over his bruised form as he looked at it sternly.

They couldn't all lose their will here, that would be like giving in to them and giving up what made them what they were. As he tried straightening himself to release some of the stiffness a small whimper escaped him, his back burned and waves of pain rolled over him along the partially healed wounds bearing their testament of what they had gone through. He pulled his eyes of the shield and rubbed the bridge of his nose before raising his eyes to meet the gazes of the other prisoners, slowly trying to regain composure from the fact that he needed to gain it.

His jaw clenched as he slowly moved his arms and rolled his shoulders battling through the pain in an effort to gain some movement to his fatigued body. As the worst tension gave way to a slow throbbing pain he looked around and once again met the other prisoners gazes with a tenuous smile.

"So what bring you all to such a lovely place today?"

The humor was dry and the faces around him didn't seem to lighten by the easy comment, imprisonment itself seemed to have set a heavy weight over them all. Moving his neck brought on a dizzy spell as the pain and tension gave way to the throbbing aches that took over. Nettles eyes met his and her nod and smile offered the first glimpse of hope as he looked among them. Sweetwater seemed to be in pain and lost in thought along with a strange tense look over his features. As Nettle carefully moved among them she seemed to spread some relief along her encouraging words and tales. She seemed to have a lot of two of them, the heart and will truly shone as she met the dark thoughts head on. Leon shook his head once more as he tried to get his thoughts in line. As Nettle had cared for the heart and will, then someone needed to bring along the brains. Shame his own weren't the sharpest one, not even without the drows administration of violence.

Well. A ship without a captain and some order do tend to sink as it almost had last when he lost the arms and armor to the seabitch, had been a close call that time. In here fate seemed to test things even worse as the few magic lights only showed a bleak reality with stark shadows forming along the drows and bars around them.
"Here we are in such fine health and all, but yet in a pickle. Might be that an minor annoyance or two has met with us, and some help would be appreciated." He muttered with his eyes closed while holding his hand on his heart. Soon his eyes opened and a smile spread over his lips as he rubs his hands together and blows some warmth into them before starting a slow shuffle among all the prisoners, offering quiet words to give comfort, whisper news of the outside world, answering questions and asking them to better grasp where they were and why.

---
Last edited by Matti on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PC: Rothar Hall
PC: Leon Merwine

Deceased: Thoian Trill

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. "
- Robin Williams
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Sara turns to Nettle with an earnest look and repeats the question.

"My da... is papa ok? Oh please tell me... tell me where he is won't you?"

puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

Ithildur wrote:Sara turns to Nettle with an earnest look and repeats the question.

"My da... is papa ok? Oh please tell me... tell me where he is won't you?"
*Nettle looks at the girl then nods once and glances around, mostly out of reflex: she hardly see anything here really in the dark, noit even her own toes... nor could she very much.. it felt like the darkness outside the cave muffled the sound of reality*
He's alright Sara, he is! really! just a bit tired from worrying sick about you and your safety!
*she gives the bars holding them in a long, defiant stare, then moves closer and puts her hands around them*
you should try to tell him you're alright when you sleep... sometimes dreams between people who love eachother bump into eachother.. or some dreamsprite or.. tall-Sheela.. uhm.. Sune angel hears the dream and can take it to the one it's ment for and tell them what you want to tell them.
*she smiles and underlines her esoteric curiosa with a little nod. She then tilts her head and leans heavily against the bars, again with a discontempt glance*
Sara, have you overheard anything, seen anything that perhaps could help us to figure out a safe way to get up home?
*Nettle lowers her voice when she speaks her question. She still wears her smile*
you've been here a bit longer than us and i think what you might have seen or heard could prove invaluable to us all
*she lets go of the bars with a huge effort to just release them with a little casual shrug, touching them made them feel real. all to real. in the all to real kind of real way she wasnt quite ready to accept yet*
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((There is enough light to see dimly in the area btw... those with low light vision can see about as well as normal))

Sara seems deeply relieved at hearing that her papa is alive and sinks towards a clean spot on the floor, leaning back against a wall.

"I don't know... I've been thinking, looking, listening and trying to be ... well, awful smart," she replies in quiet, but clear voice, with a twinkle in her eyes that hint at remarkable cleverness for a girl of her age. "But the dark elves seem more clever. There's nothing in the pen except the bucket, they bring us water and a strange bread twice per day only with two or three guards all the time. There's doors to the north and south and maybe east and west too, where more of them come and go."

"We were taken out of here a few days ago and taken to a larger place, but... something happened, and some of us were brought back here. Did you... did you see some of them were fighting each other?"

At this the woman looks up and sighs.

"Some kind of conflict between the drow... two or three houses were involved I overheard. That's all I know by the little bit of Elven I learned years ago." She pauses to wipe the unconscious man's forehead before resuming. "When you.. " she points to Sweetwater. "When you appeared, then the other two of you shortly afterwards, the place was in some disarray. There had been a skirmish not long before near this place, and several Drow jumped into the portal I think to avoid becoming killed. I'm guessing you and your friends finished them off? In the chaos, Russ here tried to attack a nearby guard through the bars to try and escape, and... you see his condition now."

"You might have had a chance, if all of you had come through together, with a plan, and attempted it the first time you showed up, there was so much chaos and they would've been caught by surprise. They weren't even sure initially who you were, I think, but eventually they figured out you were the 'meddling surfacers' and attacked. After the three of you went back, some of the Drow got reinforcements started sending groups through the portal instead of fighting each other... when they saw the groups not returning, they decided to really organize... more and more of them gathering, the more skilled ones I guess, mages too. When you came back the second time... well, we all saw what happened... they were ready for you lot."

"Anyway, it's all over now. The most powerful house in this place seems to have reasserted control, sorted things out... wiped out nearly the entire upstart house." She pauses, and adds gloomily. "We're all doomed."

Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Zyrus stares at the light of the chamber. The dull illumination coming from it not bothering him as he stands there, keeping an eye on the surroundings occasionally with his cold eyes. The rest of the people in the cage of little concern to him, the Hins he came with and the human were the only ones who mattered.

Patience. Patience and intelligence. That was what was going to get him out of here. Struggling would only serve to exhaust him, and complacency would only serve to make them think him weak. No, his only chance of leaving was either a rescue, or proving himself useful beyond the fools who kept attacking as they held their ground at the portal. These naive fools got him into this mess, so relying on them would be a mistake.

No.... the only person he could rely on down here is himself. His skill at killing and his unknown knowledge would be the only tools he could rely on. He would have to wait for his chance. As long as he was alive, there was a way to regain his freedom. He could wait.

One day, he would have a chance.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

The woman looks to Zyrus and Sweetwater as they are returned to the cell, both of them looking to be badly hurt. Without a word she moves towards the two with the damp cloth in hand and attempts to tend to their wounds.

"The Drow gave us this... it has a small amount of healing virtue." she speaks after a while, indicating the strange cloth she's cleaning their burns and cuts with. "They do not want infections to spoil their goods."

((for gameplay purposes you'd be able to guess that the cloth - which perpetually seems to regain moisture several times a day and smells faintly like almonds - functions like a mw tool giving a bonus to Heal checks, as well as bonuses on Long Term Care, and having the effects of a low level cure spell. Keep in mind none of you have access to your potions atm...

Long-Term Care

Providing long-term care means treating a wounded person for a day or more. If your Heal check is successful, the patient recovers hit points or ability score points (lost to ability damage) at twice the normal rate: 2 hit points per level for a full 8 hours of rest in a day, or 4 hit points per level for each full day of complete rest; 2 ability score points for a full 8 hours of rest in a day, or 4 ability score points for each full day of complete rest.

You can tend as many as six patients at a time...))

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Sara looks to Nettle at her remark about dreams, eyes widening.

"Oh, do you think that can really work? Or are you just... trying to cheer me up?" Her gaze drops momentarily, then looks back up at Nettle. "I'm small ... like you! And I'm just a girl... but I'm not stupid you know. Me and da... we've been through lots."

Her expression changes as she continues.

"I almost want to believe you though, you see... I've been having odd dreams actually the past few nights. Dreams where a strange but nice halfling man comes to me... and helps me somehow. I thought when your friends showed up ... oh, I was so hopeful and excited! But now you're all caught and in here with me. It's no good."

Sara's countenance darkens, which the woman tending the injured notices. She moves towards Sara and pats her head gently, then looks towards Leon and Nettle, giving the two a resigned looking shake of her head.

"You two are probably up next for their 'appraisal of stock'... more entertainment than anything, I'm sure. You should gather your strength and get ready. And please..." she looked back towards Sweetwater, pointing at him.

"Don't try anything stupid. His wrists and ankles bear the worst of the burns; I don't quite understand such things, but I bet it has to do with the manacles they put on him."

Surprisingly, at this Sara nods fiercely.

"My da told me... some magic using people in Luskan put something on da once that did bad things like that." Without a pause, the girl then looks to Nettle with a completely different expression as she points to Leon and Sweetwater. "Are you married to one of them?"

puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

*she gives the girl a weak roguish smile* ofcourse it would work, why else would gods care to have dreams as their biggest tools and such? and if they didnt ment something it wouldnt be a point for dreams being dreamt up in the first place, right? and there's no other logical explanation to why things sometimes seem familiar or like they've happened before if not dreamt up or something... its like magic really-ithink... like spellresidue that sticks to us and makes us see more or.. im really boring you with this? *she smiles a little excusingly and rubs her sour neck* i wouldnt say it if i didnt think it was true Sara, hopes and dreams are what keeps us alive, and i know that miracles and such happens
*The little hin says the last thing with admirable conviction, she looks at the girl for a moment and then turns to the woman*

I... i don't think we're very doomed at all missus..? *nettle points at the cloth the woman have been using to attend to her friend, the large genasi aswell as the other man, and others, then looks strightly at her and soberly says* ...and you don't either, you wouldnt treat them if you truely believed that some certain doom-death was just around some corner... and.. we just have to be strong and clever about this in a smart way, and take care of eachother as much as we can... uhm.. not be stupid about stuff... *gives a little, involuntary nod when she glances to where the woman points to at Sweet's wrists and ankles and shudders with a unhgappy wince*

*Just as she is about to continue she frowns at the "are you married to one of them?" question* naaah.. *Nettle looks at her both friends for a long while, they're way to brave for me, just look at them *urges Sara with a nod to do just that* they're both destined for a way better match, princesses or something like that
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Zyrus only stares at the light while the conversation is going... then his cold eyes turn towards the group. "The hin kept trying to kill one of the drow, and got himself electricuted three times and beaten down hard for it. If you want him to survive, you will want to tell him that killing himself against a dozen drow is not the way to do it."

With that, he turns back to the light.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
Matti
Dire Badger

Post by Matti »

Still tender and sore from the clash with the drow his moves are somewhat less nimble. His composure is more gathered as time goes by and his mood seems better as he moves along the other captives with a few words, a few silent looks and a few stories of the seas and their ruling bitch. His words are clearly meant to help, giving those who will listen a moment or two of peace along their thoughts. He offers what aid he can to Nettle as she speaks and seems in general quite happy with letting her do the talking and enhancing her words with fewer of his own in their efforts to better the mood and getting the people to know one another.

"The place and situation might seem bleak as the seabitches bed, but we aren't alone. Together our eyes and ears might catch something of worth and we might even work together to better last through what ever might come you see. A ships never cutting the seas alone, there's always a captain and crew working along the winds and currents." As he speaks he sits down by them offering what he can by the means of a few well placed smiles and a few squeezes along the shoulders.

"Sara. They might be of a clever sort, but we are many and we might still have a few nifty thoughts coming along, better not leave the thinking be. Lets just see what we know and what we might think of things and see what we can make out of it. There's oft more than what meets the eyes to situations. And this ... we'll get through it, somehow and sometime. Need to bid our time and efforts well, together like."

As the woman speaks he nods and his hands seem to fiddle with strands of his tunic, slowly unraveling the hem of it as he starts to twine the threads. His eyes grow colder as he looks outside the cell before he closes his them shortly and breathes deep. As his eyes open he's back to nibbling his lower lip, looking around and thinking with beads of sweat forming along the furrows of his face.

"I ... If we'd have known about the struggle ... If there had been hints or leads that would have got us thinking like that. Then we would have acted, but the drows only speak in foreign tongues. I seem to have heard something similar in before. Might be elven ... Haven't had the time or place to learn it, so what ever might have been spoken, fell well on deaf ears. And there was naught to find along the fighters remains that we had before us as the clash ended. I looked em' through and found naught but the things that Bell and the mercenary here found." his voice has a slight tremble to it as he motions with his head towards Zyrus. "But there seemed to be nothing of leads among those things" His eyes move to the man Russ. "If you have need for any help. Just tell me. I might not be trained in healing arts or anything that might be of that sort of help, but I'll wet the rag, get his limbs nimble ... I'll give you what I have as I'm here. Nettle knows a few tricks as well. We might work together to get some done."

As the sweat slowly runs along his now paler face his eyes get a softness to them and his voice seems to lose some of the nervous tremble.
"And lady. Theres been many a happening with quite the horrors ahead, and they have been left behind as we stood together facing them. If that has worked before, we might well give it a chance here too, couldn't we? The drows have nasty plans and will probably sell us or put us to work. But I'm sure that we can work out things better and with greater success if we work in unison you see."

His eyes follow Sweetwater as he is brought back from the unknown horrors with the large mercenary towed along. His hands knuckles turn white grasping the bars of their cell and he offers the returning Drow a short nod along his frustrated and angry glare. As they leave he makes his way to the lady and Sweetwater as she starts tending his wounds and tries to work carefully along her side offering what aid he can along her work and the conversation that follows.

"The captors gift is well received indeed, even though the motives are less appreciated." A deep exhale as he looks closely to the wounds as his shoulders grown tense in the effort of holding back, unable to act to help one in need. But he looks to the lady clearly ready to aid in what ever way he can.

When Zyrus speaks he nods with a grave look on his face as he once again looks about them, looking at the captors, listening and from time to time his hand winds up by his heart as his eyes close and his lips move in prayers.
PC: Rothar Hall
PC: Leon Merwine

Deceased: Thoian Trill

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. "
- Robin Williams