Current backdrop of events

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Current backdrop of events

Post by Ithildur »

http://www.alandfaraway.org/phpBB3/view ... 64&t=48788

((note that the events described are the current backdrop for what's happening in MS currently; there are other events in motion as well, but the events described below would be considered common knowledge by someone who'd spent any length of time in Corwell and nearby towns))
Throgar looked upon the shores of Western Gwynneth. His fleet of raiders had made the crossing from Rauthym in record time, the symbol of their new god proudly displayed on every sail.

The armies of Gwynneth were marshalled and war began again. Raids were not uncommon on the isle, but this time people could feel it was different. These raiders were feral, animal like in their bloodlust, more motivated to kill than merely loot and pillage. Their savagery knew no bounds. Reports of cannibalism streamed into the capital.

The regent threw the bulk of his forces and the mustered armies of his vassals into the defense of the western farmlands, leaving a token force of older peasants to guard the capital Corwell and the road that cut east across the heart of the island. Cantrev Koart and its well moated village were left in the hands of Lord Koart's youngest son and a collection of nearly retired farmers. Poorly sharpened pitchforks were the weapon of choice amongst this militia. Raiders never ventured far into the considerably poorer and bleaker heartland of the island, nor would they dare raid the well protected eastern shores where the armies and navies of Alaron Isle and Snowdon Isle maintianed a firmer grip on this loosely united kingdom known as the Moonshae Isles. There was nothing to worry about, and the lord's youngest son sulked, having been left behind while his older brothers found glory on the battlefield.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
I-KP
Otyugh

Re: Current backdrop of events

Post by I-KP »

(( Excellent idea to keep a backdrop of server-wide linked events summarized in one place. Delete this post if is gets in the way, just wanted to say it's a good thing. :yeah:

(( Edit: Hmn, smilies are broken.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

[edited] Please take note that the usual troops in places like Corwell and Cantrev Koart have been significantly reduced in number, many of them replaced by 'token force of older peasants', 'nearly retired farmers' with subpar weapons, etc.
Last edited by Ithildur on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Are normal methods of transportation effected by this, or is Zyrus swimming around the Isles?
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Post by vergin_sacrifice »

Ithildur wrote:((I believe we should note especially the part about what kind of people currently are playing the role of defenders of places like Corwell and Cantrev Koart: 'token force of older peasants' and 'a collection of nearly retired farmers' with 'poorly sharpened pitchforks' as weapons. Per Castano, even though the NPCs ingame are not represented thus in the module presently without a DM altering them, it should be assumed this is mostly what characters see instead of well armed, doughty young men in their prime))
What about Lowhill.. are the muscular boys still there or am I left with old men with pitchforks there too?
I doubt, therefore; I might be
Calil - Elf maid depicted in profile picture.
Bellie - Small woman from Lowhill with big attitude - see below
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

I think Castano or Cloud would need to answer these questions. :)

Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

i meant more to relate that the towns in the rear lack their normal standing armies. i think the gate guards would still be the same as a few soldiers would stay. what people would see are peasants drilling, poorly.

as for traveling, the roads are usable, but DMs may spawn relevant encounters as you walk or raid a village you are in. (but not leave stuff laying around).
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies