IA Election September 2023 - paazin wins

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Veilan
Lead Admin

IA Election September 2023 - paazin wins

Post by Veilan »

This thread shall serve for self-nominations for the position of Infrastructure Admin for Sep 2023 - Aug 2024.

IA's very contemporary job description is still "Vault, IRC, FTP, & Website". Any member in good standing can self-nominate, please use this thread to do so for the next seven days. The voting constituency is DMs, HDMs, vote-enabled staff heads and Admin.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Re: IA Election September 2023 - Self-nominations

Post by paazin »

Hey all, I'm willing to continue in the role of IA -- thanks everyone for the understanding/patience when we recently had some downtime and I was out of town. Looking to do some upgrades in the coming months to simplify our infrastructure systems and get a backup person in case we have another outage again when the main point person is incommunicado.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

I am also running for IA. First, big thanks to Paazin as I think he's done a great job keeping things going as they are. I think my experience could be really beneficial on several different levels described below:

-The SQL check for hak updates can be entirely eliminated by using a microsoft OneDrive account. If you update it in one place it will synch across servers. You will also be able to revert easily to any timeframe that you like. This also works for the player vault and has been exceptionally useful for me to be able to restore player characters from my phone even, as the backups go back about a month. Tech death? Glitched file? Click on it, restore to the time you want, done. Want to review a character from some suspicious action? Restore that previous version to check on what happened when.

- As much as possible we should be looking to reduce infrastructure burden. This will of course have to be coordinated with tech admin, but many of the systems and tracking that were implemented in ACR were designed with a larger player base in mind. We need to "right size" our implementation to be easier to manage and with a small player base such large systems aren't necessary.

-Migration of the module servers to the cloud. This will allow for any of the ADMs even to access the systems and push updates and is less electricity/network burden on the host. I have already verified that different VMs can share a HD, so you would only need one copy of the haks anyway if you did this. Data sharing between servers would be instantaneous.

-Moderation of discord. I'm in there frequently and have taken most of the necessary recent moderation actions anyway (when within my current purview). I would take on more staff to help manage this as well, and in addition provide website access to other admins in case of emergency.

-Restore the "General" channel of discord to the "Bread" channel. This one is obvious and a travesty that anti-breadites have tried to prevent it from rising to the top.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Due to the forum having been inaccessible, I am extending the self-nomination period until Thursday, Sep 14th.

Cheers,
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to mention this but I wish to state for the record that ayergo has some great ideas and they offer a vision to keep our community and infrastructure in good health as we're reflecting new realities. To be frank, I am a little anxious about how much work will need to be done to re-think our systems and transition them into a new stage -- it will not be a simple task but ayergo strikes me as the type who doesn't back away from a tough challenge.

I initially wished to fully withdraw from the race and endorse ayergo take the mantle of IA as I think he'd do a solid job; after some deep thought though I've decided stay in the race to offer us the option of keeping the status-quo, and consider more of a gradual transition/re-thinking of how our infrastructure works here in ALFA (hopefully with ayergo's valuable input and assistance).

No matter who the voters decide to go with to lead ALFA's infrastructure, I absolutely wish to offer my unqualified assistance as I have a pretty good understanding of all of ALFA's systems from the ACR to our website/database and would be useful as we update to meet new realities.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Re: IA Election September 2023 - Voting underway

Post by Veilan »

Voting has begun:

viewtopic.php?f=72&t=53318

Please let me know if you experience any issues.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Re: IA Election September 2023 - paazin wins

Post by Veilan »

With 3 votes paazin and 1 vote ayergo, paazin wins another term of slavery.

Thanks to both candidates for volunteering, I look forward to your continued co-operation on ALFA infrastructure.

Cheers,