3 PCs per Player

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Do you support allowing three PCs per players

Poll ended at Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:55 am

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 22

Analogkid
Ogre

3 PCs per Player

Post by Analogkid »

Hi all, so one of the things i've talked about in the past is allowing three PCs per player, as opposed to the current two PCs per player. I want to allow more flexibility for players so my idea is to allow three PCs per player if they so wish, which would basically mean you can have one PC per server if you so desire. You can still move your PC around the servers of course, so as long as you work with your DM you shouldn't have a problem.
Anyways it wouldn't be mandatory but just allow everyone more options for play.
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
Veilan
Lead Admin

Re: 3 PCs per Player

Post by Veilan »

What about the other way round - could we have multiple players per PC? Say, a double-headed ogre; or a gal or guy with multiple personality disorder / a curse portrayed by several players with characters with the same name (but different classes)? :chin:
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

Veilan wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:04 am
What about the other way round - could we have multiple players per PC? Say, a double-headed ogre; or a gal or guy with multiple personality disorder / a curse portrayed by several players with characters with the same name (but different classes)? :chin:
This is a great idea! I'll nobly volunteer myself as one of Sylvaine's multiple personalities.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

I'd like to raise some questions!

For those who voted against... why? Do you have concerns that it will detract from our community?

For those who vote for... again, why? Do you think it'll help people enjoy themselves? Would you create a 3rd PC yourself?
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Several reasons I am against this. - - -

1 - It seems like a move that primarily benefits those with that High level toon they do not want to retire / NPC yet never really play much and refuse to let go of. Understandable in that they put in alot of work to achieve a high level in the first place.

2 - I feel it detracts from people being able to put their full focus into good RP. If They are constantly hopping between toons on different servers. I have seen this happen regularly on WD where they have unlimited PCs they all tend to blend in after awhile. I have seen it here where the player focuses primarily on one of their two PCs and the other one just sorta drifts along, Until such time as the primary one is no longer active. By adding a Third PC it will yield 2 mediocre toons and one good one for most players. Its not about Characters *bleeding* together from one player but more about extra PCs lacking in color so to speak. That extra PC doesn't get a BIO done till way into the game if at all.

3 - It seems like a form of DM chasing. Where the Player is constantly looking for that DM'd game. Making it harder for DMs to share limited time slots.

4 - I feel it requires we remove all server travel portals, thereby preventing any possibility of a Player's toons co mingling or sharing their stuff. By doing so however we knock out One of ALFAs Pillars. And YES I do feel it is still a probable Issue and NO its not a simple thing to check logs regularly on every toon that passes through the server. Such would also eliminate a number of existing cross server quests.

5- It eliminates the likelihood of ever having a cross server campaign again. Since toons will be tied to a particular server if that player has one on each, thereby not allowing them to travel . . . or only SOME of the party can go since the other players have toons there . . . . ALSO it would limit the draw of Big events like Greengrass or Harvest Festival held on various servers.

6 - DMs will be harder to come by if more people want a toon on each server, since you absolutely cannot DM where you play.

7 - If not that many people Really want that 3rd PC then again see #1. Who is it really benefiting? The poll had nearly as many people against than there was for it. Normally such things require a 2/3 majority to be IN FAVOR for it to be seriously considered and instituted.

----- and NO I would not personally ever do mulitiple PCs even if I had the ability to do so - - - -
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Perle
Player Admin

Post by Perle »

I agree with Ari on these points, and I voted against for a major reason.

For me personally, I can't play more than one character actively. The personalities blend together. It's just a fact. I know of only a couple of people who can do that really well.
NO its not a simple thing to check logs regularly on every toon that passes through the server
This also causes an undue burden on DMs who are doing petty administrative tasks rather than coming up with plots. DM time is a precious resource. They need motivation and care to keep doing what they do, and I have to think combing through logs is a tedious chore that makes folding laundry seem exciting.

Making multiple characters also creates more work for DMs as they try to incorporate the new people into campaigns. Some people are probably more forward with asking for DM time, while others sit back and hope a DM asks them or notices they want to push a plot.

I will say it is really hard to play if you don't have others to play with. For completely IC reasons my character Jhessi cannot join the Zed quests. That means I am reliant on statics to get any exp or gold. It's lonely at the bottom as a very squishy dies-in-one-hit PC, and it is very tempting to make something a little less squishy. This means I just need to try harder to coordinate with the other lowbies to get any exp, rather than give up on a character concept I quite enjoy.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

My immersion is going to be ruined when PCs stop traveling 1000s of miles on a weekly or daily basis because everyone has a different one on each server.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

Heero wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:32 pm
My immersion is going to be ruined when PCs stop traveling 1000s of miles on a weekly or daily basis because everyone has a different one on each server.

Point taken.
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

As things stand, there isn't enough support to push this through. I thank those who voted and perhaps another day we can try again.
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Thank goodness. I would be que disappoint if my PCs friend that lives 3k miles away didnt make the weekly trek to participate in our exploits trying to save my hometown. And vice versa, ofcourse.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.