Game is too hard to start?

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

rorax
Otyugh

Game is too hard to start?

Post by rorax »

Hi...

Been trying to play new chars for the last passing week and had total failure(all died), and that is with some experience around how things work.

There aren't too many players around, especially outside of US hours, so with out coordination, one would likely be alone.

The game is very uninviting this situation, the quests or explorations are very hard to do alone. Every accidental 20 from wandering goblin kills your char...

Just been wondering if this is not barrier for new potential players? it can be really discouraging.

Thoughts?

((P.S - anyone knows why recovering from under 0 HPs -never- works without external assistance?))
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Re: Game is too hard to start?

Post by ayergo »

You can come try Waterdeep! It is a lot more friendly for low level, though still lethal if you aren't careful.

We also have improved barbarian rage, animal taming, golem crafting, weapon/armor crafting, and even enchanting!

Also I'm Euro timezone (mostly).

Would love to start up a regular Euro game.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

ayergo wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:52 pm
You can come try Waterdeep! It is a lot more friendly for low level, though still lethal if you aren't careful.

We also have improved barbarian rage, animal taming, golem crafting, weapon/armor crafting, and even enchanting!

Hi.

Any page with instructions how to connect to NWN1 servers?
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

There were extensive features put into place to discourage players from soloing static content during the height of NWN2's popularity, and now that the server populations are zero or close to it, they do make for a very rough and uninviting start. BG currently seems to be the most active NWN2 Server in ALFA, but outside of DM Events it's population is also often zero.

I played alot of Waterdeep and second Ayergo's recommendation if you continue to strike out on finding compatable play times in NWN2.
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

rorax wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:40 pm
ayergo wrote:

Hi.

Some info here:
https://www.alfanwn1.org/

Or stop by discord and we can sort you out!

Basically you just need NWN EE and to download the haks.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Moonshea's has a number of low level statics starting out of Corwell
Beer Hauling from Lowhill
Mail runs out of Callidyrr

BG has a number of low level statics out of BG and of course there is always the mail runs most of which can be done if your careful and smart. Anything that wants you to go into the sewer is best done with a buddy though.
Seed Delivery from the Abbey of the Sheaf in Darfleet.

Ruqel has some statics as well
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

Yeah doing stuff solo is crappy... I think the only best bet that is always safe are delivery/mail runs and they are kinda boring.

But that's the best way to avoid that random 20 from goblins - if you have a friend around he or she can keep you alive to escape.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

paazin wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:45 pm
Yeah doing stuff solo is crappy... I think the only best bet that is always safe are delivery/mail runs and they are kinda boring.

But that's the best way to avoid that random 20 from goblins - if you have a friend around he or she can keep you alive to escape.
Quests rewards deminish very quickly, I think I saw reduction on the 5th or 6th quest. I just had new toon who made it to level 2 during the weekend and then he died to random crit.. . :( he wasn't spammed, was just one monster with some luck.

During the weekend, I haven't really seen anyone logging to the servers, so there isn't really option to play with other people....

Oh well... I'm looking for people around my timezone who can play regularly, almost chance less otherwise...maybe I should give alfa1 chance, hopefully it's more friendly as some suggested.

By the way, why recovery was changed and there is no chance to recover without external assistance? (after going below 0)
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Recovery for NWN2 has not changed hits that would outright kill you only drop you to -6 death floor

From there you have to make death saves to recover or not which are dependent I think on your fort save or a con save and its never been make a save and your good you have to make a save each increment up to 0
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

Arianna wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:40 pm
Recovery for NWN2 has not changed hits that would outright kill you only drop you to -6 death floor

From there you have to make death saves to recover or not which are dependent I think on your fort save or a con save and its never been make a save and your good you have to make a save each increment up to 0
100% it does not work like that. I had various chars during the last week and a half, all died. No one of them ever managed to recover even 1 hp after going below zero(not to mention going all the way back up) ...few of the chars had REALLY good fort and con.

I guess it's really easy to test, but I've kind of done the testing already...
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

rorax wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:09 am
Arianna wrote:

100% it does not work like that. I had various chars during the last week and a half, all died. No one of them ever managed to recover even 1 hp after going below zero(not to mention going all the way back up) ...few of the chars had REALLY good fort and con.

Unfortunately fort/con doesn't matter for recovery - it's just a straight 10% chance each "tick" --

That means for a character that hits the -6 threshold there should be a ~34% chance he or she survives and a 66% chance of being dead (it's 0.9^k where k is the number of ticks -- so someone at -1 has a 39% chance of dying)

There's always a chance something is wrong though -- could give testing a shot if anyone feels like being killed and raised a buncha times.
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

paazin wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:39 pm
rorax wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:09 am
Arianna wrote:

Unfortunately fort/con doesn't matter for recovery - it's just a straight 10% chance each "tick" --

That means for a character that hits the -6 threshold there should be a ~34% chance he or she survives and a 66% chance of being dead (it's 0.9^k where k is the number of ticks -- so someone at -1 has a 39% chance of dying)

There's always a chance something is wrong though -- could give testing a shot if anyone feels like being killed and raised a buncha times.

I'm willing to test it , I'm pretty sure something is wrong there....at least on TSM(and guessing in MS as well) where I had more than a bunch of characters dying.

Statistically , third of them should have recovered, but non did...
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

rorax wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:40 pm
ayergo wrote:

Hi.

NWsync is now working, so all you have to do is connect and it will auto-download all the haks you need!

We also have free XP just for exploring. Every new area is a minimum of 15xp, some areas have triggers worth more!