NWN1: Part 2

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Senor T
Ogre

NWN1: Part 2

Post by Senor T »

So this may be a terrible idea to post and I may be burned to a crispy crisp, but I’m gonna post it anyway cause I think it’s fair for the question to be asked.

Can we make NWN1 servers and DMs a full part of ALFA?

Rick and ayergo are working their butts off to support us playing on the platform and it only seems fair.

On the other hand, I don’t want to create headaches for folks. We’re having an awful lot of fun as-is. I just think it’s important to recognize their effort and it’d be nice if our community provided full support to them and by extension us players.
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently explaining the meaninglessness of it all as Vizian Nazyr.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Mick
Beholder

Re: NWN1: Part 2

Post by Mick »

Is that what ayergo and Rick want?
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

I'm pretty good with things and having heaps of fun but it doesn't really matter to me. I think this is more a question for "the powers that be" and whether they want to partake in the fun.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

Yeah, makes sense. We’ve been having a good time with much more IC drama than OOC drama, which is awesome.

I appreciate what you two are doing and pretty strongly feel like you deserve a say in things because of how hard you’re working. Just something I would appreciate the admins considering.

Anyway, just something that’s been bugging me and all the work you’ve been putting into EE finally made me feel like speaking up about it. Mostly I just want to say thanks for what you guys are doing.
Currently laying the smackdown on Faerun as: Keryn Tel'Jora, who is XXX-TREME!!!.
Currently pointing out all other characters' shortcomings as Stephen the Archer.
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Post by Rick7475 »

The only advantage is that we would get access to the DM forums, tips and tricks, and some DM guides. I think there are 2 other DM's for NWN2.

But if we get someone interested in DM'ing on NWN1 EE who has not DM'd before, having those resources would be useful.

Then again having someone officially apply to be a DM, with DMA oversight and probation and all that, might be to bureaucratic.
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

Rick7475 wrote:The only advantage is that we would get access to the DM forums, tips and tricks, and some DM guides. I think there are 2 other DM's for NWN2.

But if we get someone interested in DM'ing on NWN1 EE who has not DM'd before, having those resources would be useful.

Then again having someone officially apply to be a DM, with DMA oversight and probation and all that, might be to bureaucratic.
Yeah, tumbled that around in my mind as well. Not sure the bureaucracy is worth getting a vote on DMA or not.
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

Haha, fair enough. Thanks for putting my mind at ease at least.

This doesn’t mean I’m not putting you both on probation though!
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Honestly, I always knew that ALFA would be way more fun without all the silly bureaucracy, rules, guidelines, rules lawyering and Game B nonsense. I feel like that is pretty much what we have on WD and DF. A bunch of people who like to play D&D just hanging out playing together and having fun. Lets keep it that way!
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

Rick7475 wrote:The only advantage is that we would get access to the DM forums, tips and tricks, and some DM guides.
It shows my naivety, but I am surprised that you don't have access to these resources. It shows my thick-headedness that I can't imagine why you don't have that access!

But in the end, I would say that if there is peaceful coexistence between the NWN2 ALFA and the NWN2 ALFA, it might be best not to rock the boat. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
Akivaria
Orc Champion

Post by Akivaria »

oldgrayrogue wrote:Honestly, I always knew that ALFA would be way more fun without all the silly bureaucracy, rules, guidelines, rules lawyering and Game B nonsense. I feel like that is pretty much what we have on WD and DF. A bunch of people who like to play D&D just hanging out playing together and having fun. Lets keep it that way!
My name is Akivaria and I seconded this message.
"This is how liberty dies... with thunderous applause."

Current PC: Alora Tuffet-Hopper, foul-mouthed and irreverent bard
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

oldgrayrogue wrote:Honestly, I always knew that ALFA would be way more fun without all the silly bureaucracy, rules, guidelines, rules lawyering and Game B nonsense. I feel like that is pretty much what we have on WD, Skullport and DF. A bunch of people who like to play D&D just hanging out playing together and having fun. Lets keep it that way!
Fixed that for you. 8)
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Game B is the best game.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Fwiw, I do think that closer community integration would be a good thing - but I also think that the "fiefdom" concept is giving our NWN 1 "HDMs" unprecedented freedom in doing things however they feel like, which is part of the draw.

I do not buy into the simplification that rules and standards are always bad and lead to a sclerotic bureaucracy, but I do think they are more useful to a bigger project where you wish to ensure a common ground and a comparable playing experience.

Anyway, DM status in "official" ALFA is up to the DMA, and while I support the idea in principle my ideas on the matter so far have not taken off.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
jmecha
Illithid

Post by jmecha »

What are your ideas on the matter?
Current Characters: Aelenta Renvanith
Senor T
Ogre

Post by Senor T »

Just grant forum access and official status and don’t fix what isn’t broken. Simplest for everyone with the least drama.

Well the other least drama option is forgetting I posted anything and just carrying on as-is, which is also fine.