shad0wfax DMA Q&A

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

shad0wfax
DM Admin

Re: shad0wfax DMA Q&A

Post by shad0wfax »

Galadorn wrote:((does it matter if some ((hi there, it's just me, carry on)) ...think level 1-5 already goes way too fast? and leveling at mid- to high- level takes WAY too long?))

((why the hell do people hate level 1-3 SO much?? it's BY far the best RP supportive level range...))

((yes, I truly think what most people want: FAST low leveling, and SLOW high leveling is exactly what is wrong...))

((1st-4th level is the true fun times! meeting new PCs, being in true risk, so some people actually do take their time and act like adventurers should act...which is to FEAR life and death combat, etc, .....and high level takes YEARS to level up, which makes it boring... i'm not saying level 10 PCs should level every month....... but.......wait......why not again?
......it's a game... leveling is fun... and the "actual potential difference in power" (i.e. the relative "power-jump") from 1-2 is FAR greater than 9-10, or even 15-16. But it always seemed SO TERRIBLE to level up with any haste here after mid level.....why?))

meh
The ALFA statistics are that level 1 is fairly quick, as is level 2, and then at level 3, PCs start to die due to overconfidence. I think that's why folks hate it the most; because it takes a while to get confident, then they finally feel solid, and then they get overconfident and die.

I don't think that this is a problem with slow development, but rather a problem with over-aggressive play-styles. Each player perceives this frustration differently.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

ayergo wrote:Cool. So what is the average time to go from level 1 to 2? 2 to 3? 3 to 4? And 4 to 5?
Impossible to answer, really. It all depends on play style. If you play more, and in a group, and you aggressively chase statics you level quickly. If you're alone and just doing mail runs and RP XP off-hours, it's still going to take you a while. Some people will find the perfect way to farm and level stupid fast. Others will just take it relaxed and trickle in levels.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

shad0wfax wrote:
Galadorn wrote:((does it matter if some ((hi there, it's just me, carry on)) ...think level 1-5 already goes way too fast? and leveling at mid- to high- level takes WAY too long?))

((why the hell do people hate level 1-3 SO much?? it's BY far the best RP supportive level range...))

((yes, I truly think what most people want: FAST low leveling, and SLOW high leveling is exactly what is wrong...))

((1st-4th level is the true fun times! meeting new PCs, being in true risk, so some people actually do take their time and act like adventurers should act...which is to FEAR life and death combat, etc, .....and high level takes YEARS to level up, which makes it boring... i'm not saying level 10 PCs should level every month....... but.......wait......why not again?
......it's a game... leveling is fun... and the "actual potential difference in power" (i.e. the relative "power-jump") from 1-2 is FAR greater than 9-10, or even 15-16. But it always seemed SO TERRIBLE to level up with any haste here after mid level.....why?))

meh
The ALFA statistics are that level 1 is fairly quick, as is level 2, and then at level 3, PCs start to die due to overconfidence. I think that's why folks hate it the most; because it takes a while to get confident, then they finally feel solid, and then they get overconfident and die.

I don't think that this is a problem with slow development, but rather a problem with over-aggressive play-styles. Each player perceives this frustration differently.

That's pretty fair I think then. Level 3 is definitely the ripe point for death. It used to be that you were expected to be at level 1 for a month, glad that's changed. Maybe I'll try and stop by and play NWN2 at some point then. I just don't enjoy level 1 much.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

FoamBats4All wrote:
ayergo wrote:Cool. So what is the average time to go from level 1 to 2? 2 to 3? 3 to 4? And 4 to 5?
Impossible to answer, really. It all depends on play style. If you play more, and in a group, and you aggressively chase statics you level quickly. If you're alone and just doing mail runs and RP XP off-hours, it's still going to take you a while. Some people will find the perfect way to farm and level stupid fast. Others will just take it relaxed and trickle in levels.
You'd have to do an in-depth analysis of characters leveled by unique players (to account for playstyle variations), then leverage that average against a server-wide average, then leverage that against other servers (to account for different server XP potentials for a given level range).

Given our small sample size (even at the highest ALFA populations), we've never had a large enough sample size to truly provide any form of confidence in those data, so such a statistic is meaningless.

When OGR was playing on BG, he got several characters to the 2-4 range and got them killed. Meanwhile, other players tended to only log in when DMs were doing stuff, survived longer, and leveled slightly slower. This is not to call OGR out, it's just an example.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

shad0wfax wrote:
FoamBats4All wrote:
You'd have to do an in-depth analysis of characters leveled by unique players (to account for playstyle variations), then leverage that average against a server-wide average, then leverage that against other servers (to account for different server XP potentials for a given level range).

Given our small sample size (even at the highest ALFA populations), we've never had a large enough sample size to truly provide any form of confidence in those data, so such a statistic is meaningless.

When OGR was playing on BG, he got several characters to the 2-4 range and got them killed. Meanwhile, other players tended to only log in when DMs were doing stuff, survived longer, and leveled slightly slower. This is not to call OGR out, it's just an example.
It is fairly easy to get to Level 3 on NWN2 at present. You can get to level 2 within a week without much risk. My PC deaths as related above were due mostly to solo play boredom and testing the power boundaries of my PC. I also intentionally abandoned (retired) a number of PCs in that range just to try new concepts. One PC did die during "group" play (2 PCs doing a static) when 2 ogres with greataxes spawned in a cave and both hit my PC with crits.