NWN1 v NWN2

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Re: NWN1 v NWN2

Post by dergon darkhelm »

ayergo wrote:
Veilan wrote:

and the other thing I have been harping on about since time immemorial: Concentration. With only one server that has a decent population, critical mass for adventuring is much easier to achieve. It is the one good argument against having a pallette of options..
Minor correction, 2 servers with a potential 3rd on the way. :)
TLR? Skullport?
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
SCI-kick
Gelatinous Cube

Post by SCI-kick »

I'll take either of the game mechanics , and I'm not a huge graphics gamer, so either one.

As far as world building , I always thought NWN2 was great for regional sized mods , like TSM and BG, but that's about it.

I like the capacity of mods for NWN1 , it's awesome. A good builder can make a world that feels just impossibly big for a mod. My old group before ALFA has a builder who was great, his world after 2-3 years was so fun. It used every tile set and effect. There were several towns, one city spread around

A starting point, a walled port town.
a frontier town that was gateway to the more dangerous north.
A northern snow tile town with barbarians, vikings. Frost giants not far aways...
A southern desert town, sort of egyptian style. Lot's of old tombs close by
An eastern town with asian and middle eastern feel.
One real big city , maybe 6 areas but assumed to be much larger instead of take up mod space.
An elf town , and a dwarf stronghold.

There seemed to be hundreds of dungeons, castles, caves, you name it. Even a Ravenloft type valley with werewolves, vampires and creepy things. And a lot of the dungeons were connected by a massive underworld.
Static dungeons that took like months to solve.

I'll definitely look at the design aspect of the NWN1 EE to see if I could take a stab at building.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

dergon darkhelm wrote:
ayergo wrote:
Veilan wrote:

and the other thing I have been harping on about since time immemorial: Concentration. With only one server that has a decent population, critical mass for adventuring is much easier to achieve. It is the one good argument against having a pallette of options..
Minor correction, 2 servers with a potential 3rd on the way. :)
TLR? Skullport?
Skullport
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Peter_Abelard
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Peter_Abelard »

Hey everyone,
There’s a definite kick of nostalgia playing on WD, and chatting about all the fun we had in the old days. Playing here has given me cause to look back over my old notes and writing and screenshots, which brings me old guy joy too.
On a more practical note, I can play WD on my crappy little laptop, which gives me more play options in a house where computer time is always at a premium.
But mostly the players and dm time, of course. This is a game for storytellers, and right now at least, this is where you all are. I’d love to get an evils game up and running on BG too, but there’s only so much time in my day.
Thanks for all the fun everyone, I’m having such a good time here.
Cheers, Pete
Character arcs are sharp, pointy little things. A little blood may spill!

Now Playing: Luva Si'nede, Olivus Angustian
Past Characters: Valyar Floshin, Sarenna Irithyl, Millicent Riverstone, Dev Revels, Catarina Helms, Fenris Estelmer, Arryn Temple, Penrose Hawke, Kara Ravensfell, Arana Belecthor