Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Faeryl
Ogre

Re: Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Post by Faeryl »

Heero! Rick & Ayergo!

It's really cool that you are all still here. I wasn't sure what I would find when I posted, but am happy to see things are still running. This is amazing really. How many years has ALFA been around?

I'm strictly tabletop gaming these days, but when my son was selected as a beta tester I had to see what ALFA was up to.

I game with my kids every other weekend so will keep you updated on what he has to say. His comments so far is that he doesn't like some of the textures they're using to reskin the models, but also that the textures aren't finalized, so he's letting them know what he thinks. Also he thinks that the CEP may be reskined as well. Many of the old (non-AlFA) server groups are forming back up again and a public server host will be put up as well. Basically, it sounds like NWN1 is coming back with a few improvements.

I'm not sure what he can share, but I'll see if he is able to share a few screen shots.

I'll post here when I learn anything significant. 8)
“Power is holding someone else's fear in your hand and showing it to them.”
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

I remember ya too Faeryl.

ALFA's been around pretty sure getting close to 20 years. Hell I've been here for 14 years and a bit myself.

You should get NWN1 and log in!
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Post by Rick7475 »

New update from Beamdog:

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/03/march-9 ... recap.html

Check out the graphics! Definitely a game changer! Waterdeep and Daggerford are going to look gorgeous!
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

That looks really good. Got about half way through the presentation so far. Thanks for posting, Rick.

Soooo ... NWN EE will supposedly be available on March 27th? I guess that Waterdeep and Daggerford will be rolling with it on April 1st? :D
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

This looks awesome. Can't wait.
Electryc
Wyvern

Post by Electryc »

Wild Wombat wrote:
Soooo ... NWN EE will supposedly be available on March 27th? I guess that Waterdeep and Daggerford will be rolling with it on April 1st? :D
+1 :D
DM whana-be
joshmad75
Shambling Zombie

Post by joshmad75 »

Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Am excite.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

So I edited the new NWN.ini that came along with it to simply point to my ALFA NWN 1 install folder, and everything seems to have worked fine. The modules I tested in different old ALFA hak versions were Baldur's Gate and Northern Cormyr, and while I have not had a chance to try multiplayer performance (really hoping for an improvement there - so many crashes even with HotU 1.69), it looks promising so far.

Graphics have not been delivered yet, so I am not sure they were entirely truthful in what they will end up delivering, and that the UI scale can only be set between 1 and 2 (nothing in between) is a bit of a bummer. Still, the bigger UI scale is much more comfortable with modern monitor resolutions and the shader support makes things a little more nuanced (and we are not here for the graphics anyway, are we). I am very curious it gave me no version error with the save files from ALFA modules I used, so I assume the current EE release is compatible with HotU 1.69 (if anybody needs a critical rebuild patch of a certain version, let me know, I think I kept most of them around), though trying to log on to ALFA servers does give a version error.

Anyway, we should definitely try to get our foot in the door with advertising ALFA, perhaps put some of our custom content in the Steam workshop - everybody who is active please feel deputised into the PR effort - and we probably need our servers (and their attendance numbers) visible in the enhanced edition server list.

Exciting times!
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
ayergo
Penguin AKA Vile Sea Tiger

Post by ayergo »

Veilan wrote:So I edited the new NWN.ini that came along with it to simply point to my ALFA NWN 1 install folder, and everything seems to have worked fine. The modules I tested in different old ALFA hak versions were Baldur's Gate and Northern Cormyr, and while I have not had a chance to try multiplayer performance (really hoping for an improvement there - so many crashes even with HotU 1.69), it looks promising so far.

Graphics have not been delivered yet, so I am not sure they were entirely truthful in what they will end up delivering, and that the UI scale can only be set between 1 and 2 (nothing in between) is a bit of a bummer. Still, the bigger UI scale is much more comfortable with modern monitor resolutions and the shader support makes things a little more nuanced (and we are not here for the graphics anyway, are we). I am very curious it gave me no version error with the save files from ALFA modules I used, so I assume the current EE release is compatible with HotU 1.69 (if anybody needs a critical rebuild patch of a certain version, let me know, I think I kept most of them around), though trying to log on to ALFA servers does give a version error.

Anyway, we should definitely try to get our foot in the door with advertising ALFA, perhaps put some of our custom content in the Steam workshop - everybody who is active please feel deputised into the PR effort - and we probably need our servers (and their attendance numbers) visible in the enhanced edition server list.

Exciting times!
I am excited to try it out. I apologize I've been slow, but we are a bit short on builders for 1. I'll see if I can get some presence for us listed soon.
There's a place I like to hide
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
ayergo

Post by ayergo »

also where should I post about it? I can't find anything on the beamdog forums...
A doorway that I run through in the night
Relax child, you were there
But only didn't realize and you were scared
It's a place where you will learn
To face your fears, retrace the years
And ride the whims of your mind
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Post by Rick7475 »

I am away this weekend but I am excited to test Daggerford. I understand they are supposed to release updated graphics over the next 2 years, hopefully starting soon.
coach
Canon Police

Post by coach »

*wakes up from coma*

"Where am I?"

*voice in head whispers*...

"The future"
Garrigan DeLorre - Paladin 6 - died honorably in battle
X'Anne - Witch (Druid/Ranger mix) 4 - captured and imprisoned awaiting trial (retired)
Talon Xavaliir - Cleric 11 - living

"I didn't know he only had six kids, I thought he had millions." (on the passing of Gary Gygax)
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

cool

Coach.

playin' again?
ayergo

Post by ayergo »