Thoughts on election voting changes

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Should the charter be amended in regards to Voting Rights as suggested?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:40 am

YES
80%
NO
No votes
I DO NOT CARE
20%
SOMETHING DIFFERENT [explain below]
No votes

Total votes: 10

Arianna
Tech Admin

Thoughts on election voting changes

Post by Arianna »

With our low member base I would like to get your thoughts on a change to the charter.

I would like to change the following . .
Voting Constituencies

The voting constituencies for Infra, Tech, and DM Administrators shall include all seated Administrators, all HDMs, vote-eligible Administrator Staff as defined in section 3.5, and all DMs. The same shall hold for recall votes (as defined in section 3.4) involving these Administrators.

The voting constituency for Lead and Player Administrators shall include all members of ALFA. The same shall hold for Lead and Player Administrators recalls.
to read instead . .
Voting Constituencies

The voting constituency for all Administrators shall include all members of ALFA. The same shall hold for recall votes (as defined in section 3.4).
This poll is not the official yes it happens or no it doesn't. This is to get public opinion on the matter at hand.
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Re: Thoughts on election voting changes

Post by HEEGZ »

I am going to vote yes. However, I would prefer the charter not be amended during an election cycle. This does not affect the LA cycle, but I would rather we not start a precedent in this regard. Thanks!
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

HEEGZ wrote:I am going to vote yes. However, I would prefer the charter not be amended during an election cycle. This does not affect the LA cycle, but I would rather we not start a precedent in this regard. Thanks!
Sadly, it's almost always an election cycle. I still think that the positions could benefit from longer terms.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

This absolutely will not be a last-minute thing. The idea has been floated often, but as shad0wfax says, it's almost always an election cycle. Every time it comes up, we said to punt on it.

So, here's some gathering of public opinion so the next LA can make a judgement.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Considering the timelines we're looking at, this is more-plausibly information gathering for the incoming LA. Perhaps an exit request.

I don't think the intention is to hammer through a change in the next four days.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

There are only two months without an election in ALFA, which are January and July. I once proposed un-staggering the election cycles, but the proposal gained no traction, so windows not perceived as in-election remain small.

I will put this poll before the other Admin and ask input on whether to hold a charter amendment vote, and in what form, since I am not sure I unconditionally agree that every position should be elected by all players (DMA springs to mind at once) and whether the perceived benefit might simply be due to our small size and/or the aptly identified "don't care" option. Then again, almost everybody still active has full voting rights through being a DM or staffer anyway, so the change may end up being cosmetic anyway.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

As an update, this is still proceeding - I have solicited input from the other Admins, and now I am trying to get the voter lists updated prior to making vote proposals. A charter amendment vote needs a sizeable majority of different constituencies, which should not be filled up with people who have been inactive for a year longer.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Veilan wrote:...Then again, almost everybody still active has full voting rights through being a DM or staffer anyway, so the change may end up being cosmetic anyway.

Cheers
I'm not a DM or a Staffer! But i'm like 60% of the population lately! ((that last steak was at least 30 ounces...))

RARR!

Cheers yourself! MEH!

:lol:
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Oooh, are you volunteering? I would be happy to sign you up to my staff if there is an issue you wish to tackle and think you can contribute to.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

What staff do you rule over?
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

At this point, only Arianna, who is the Staff Head of PR.

As LA, the portfolio is "Oversight of Administration, Veto & Referral Authority, Election Oversight, and Public Relations. Also responsible for resolving disputes over domain classification of any particular issue." In practice in today's ALFA, this means 1) running elections, 2) giving an impression of grave yet warm and fatherly presidentiality as a reassuring counterpoint to the tempestuous reality and 3) protecting the space-time continuum (or maybe that is Arri's job, too).

So, if you have any project or issue you wish to push forward that you think could be helped by wearing an "official hat", let me know (this invitation is open to everybody else, too, of course; three staff-heads and unlimited (non-voting) staffers is the ALFA way of things) - I would be happy to help, and if it is a better fit for another admin portfolio, I could always put in a good word.
Cassiel
Wyvern

Post by Cassiel »

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside that we're still using the Charter.
:: http://www.torilite.net ::

Time is not your enemy, forever is.
--Fall-From-Grace
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Come play! Dr.'s orders! ;-)