Veilan Dec 2016 LA Q&A

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: Veilan Dec 2016 LA Q&A

Post by Arianna »

RICK
the OTHER Baldurs Gate is NOT ALFA and why would I want to play on that one . . one of the reasons its so popular . . is the lack of permadeath . . . . .

I am not enthusiastic about only getting to play on TSM . . . since I DM MS . . . part of the statics are broken the build needs attention to detail and if your alone . . . its a death trap . .
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Hey Rick,

thanks for sharing your ideas, it proves that there's still enthusiasm and people caring about the project.

As already pointed out, most of the suggestions made fall outside of the direct purview of the LA, so my answers may not mean too much. Still, an LA can make suggestions and discuss with the other admins, whom, I am sure, would consider proposals on their merit, rather than the corner they come from. Also, if another admin suggests these things, it might be good to know a prospective LA's stance towards them, and whether they would be a road block or an enabler. And finally, you took the time and effort to write up your proposals and think about the ideas, so I should at least return the courtesy.
Rick7475 wrote:1. Put Baldur's Gate and Western Heartlands offline until there are higher numbers, if any. Because currently Baldur's Gate is the most popular role playing server, why would we compete with that with another one? WH needs more building, which isn't going to happen. TSM and MS are unique. The 278 currently players are looking for unique, not another Baldur's Gate.
Concentration is a relevant issue, and one I have thought about in the past too. I agree that the best playing experience is when you have a certain critical mass on a server, both of DMs and of players, rather than spreading people out. There is a psychological barrier when people are elsewhere, even if we have many mitigating factors, such as almost completely unrestricted travel and all servers being directly connected (something I heartily supported as LA previously). On the other hand, having luxurious and varied real estate has always been one of ALFA's big positives, and can be a draw. Also, it is easier to DM & play if there are several servers to chose from, without many of the headaches.

So, on balance, I am aware of the issue, and am open to the idea of say, integrating WHL into BG (if it's technically possible, back in the olden days there used to be size restrictions) if the DMA and HDMs would entertain it, but I do not think we should voluntarily drop below three servers (especially with the 2 PC rule).
Rick7475 wrote:2. Remove the HDM's and have a cadre of DM's on both TSM and and MS. There would be a possibility of 3 DM's active or more right now. The DMA could the lead and have a builder assigned to each server. Concentrate all our last resources and run games from a tighter world.
Much of this falls into the aforementioned problem which I dub "concentration", and so in principle I agree that focussing our ressources beats spreading out too much. However, DMs are already free to DM on multiple servers if they are so inclined (most people like to keep a place where they can play, too, though). The HDM system has some drawbacks, true, such as making it harder to enforce coherent standards, but I also think it has virtues, in that it creates servers with somewhat different characters, and gives teams motivation through a sense of ownership, and dare I say it, competition (sometimes in the right fields :D). Anyway, it's all academic as this is firmly within DMA and HDM territory, and could easily turn into a bit of a headache.
Rick7475 wrote:3. Let players in with a dumbed down process. I mean, people that are playing NWN2 now are in it for the RP, let them in here for a trial if need be.
I think we already have a fairly dumbed down process, including your mentioned trial runs on non-password servers, friend recommendations and easy greenlighting of applications. If PA wishes to take further measures, I'm game - as long as they do not compromise the overall quality of the ALFA experience, since I believe we're a quality > quantity kind of venture, with our niche tastes in moderated advancement, full immersion and perma-death. I would be reluctant to compromise these core values, as I think it might just evaporate those USPs and competetive advantages we actually possess.
Rick7475 wrote:4. Talk to the people from those servers and try and share ideas on what works to run their servers because they have a whole lot more people than we do.
I agree that talking to other communities and seeing what works for them, and what we could adopt to suit our own purposes, is always beneficial. Maybe we do not like their measures, but at least they'd be food for thought. I used to keep in contact with admins from two other projects, and one even ended up playing here (Strangg1), but that was a long time ago and I doubt I would personally have the time at the moment. But I am very willing to consider "idea-hunting liaison" for a staff position or see if the PR staff head might be willing to chat to people.

Again, thanks for your ideas, and giving me a chance to reply to serious questions. Feel free to follow up where you like.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

And some good news - In case I should become LA, Arri has agreed to stick around as staff head for PR. I could not think of a better choice at the moment. She has the experience, knowledge and familiarity with ALFA, and yet her enthusiasm and sanity remain undiminished, even after such a long time in the project.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Rick7475
Haste Bear

Post by Rick7475 »

Thanks Veilan, I appreciate your remarks.

"Much of this falls into the aforementioned problem which I dub "concentration", and so in principle I agree that focussing our ressources beats spreading out too much. However, DMs are already free to DM on multiple servers if they are so inclined (most people like to keep a place where they can play, too, though). The HDM system has some drawbacks, true, such as making it harder to enforce coherent standards, but I also think it has virtues, in that it creates servers with somewhat different characters, and gives teams motivation through a sense of ownership, and dare I say it, competition (sometimes in the right fields :D)."

I appreciate your view but DM''s are not free to DM on multiple servers, that never was the case. But that is immaterial now. I think you will make a good LA. Let's all work together to get the numbers up according to our pillars and have some fun.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Rick7475 wrote:I appreciate your view but DM''s are not free to DM on multiple servers, that never was the case.
Not sure about ALFA1, but in ALFA2 you can DM on any server with an HDM that approves. Of course, you can't also play where you DM. Here, you get approved as "a DM" (usually with a provisional status if you're new, so we can make sure you get trained and fit in with ALFA's pillars/charter) then get whitelisted on any server you want to DM on. You can absolutely be a DM on TSM, and BG. We've even had some DMs who move their campaigns between servers, starting on one and transitioning to another.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

On at least two separate occasions I've been a NWN2 DM for all four live servers. I've run cross server plots. This week I'm transitioning back to DMing on BG and TSM, and keeping MS free to play a PC on. 8)
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

HEEGZ wrote:On at least two separate occasions I've been a NWN2 DM for all four live servers. I've run cross server plots. This week I'm transitioning back to DMing on BG and TSM, and keeping MS free to play a PC on. 8)
...are you shittin me?

This is both a blessing and a boon. Ptolem just left Rhone in a tavern, with big plans to take down Umber hulks, Dark Dwarves and Mind Flayers tomorrow morning?!? :)

BUT.... you DMing... is also... so deliciousssssss

OH THE WOES AND YAYS
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

You can still encounter Rhone, as she is an NPC now. There are some rumors around in game, which you may or may not hear about. ;)
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

HEEGZ wrote:You can still encounter Rhone, as she is an NPC now. There are some rumors around in game, which you may or may not hear about. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
damn

Well, ok!

Hope to see you in there!