Toolset anyone?

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Toolset anyone?

Post by Galadorn »

Anyone out there able to make .ERFs upon demand just for the sake of it for me? :)

I will fire the toolset up on my own, and I have created items/NPCs/areas in the past, but there's almost always 1, 2, 45? ,107?! "check-boxes" or "options", or "clicks", or "code lines", or "variables" or whatever-else done wrong, when I make items/NPCs/areas - so if anyone else was available for kicks, that would be....nice.

Zelknolf and/or Arriana and/or FoamBatsAll, might you know of any ALFA-relevant resources (post, forums, etc), that might re-warm me up on such a thing? like tutorials for ALFA-made items/NPCs/areas that I just can't find and/or am too lazy to look for?

Just asking. Feel free to ignore as usual!

~Matt
Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: Toolset anyone?

Post by Arianna »

What is it your trying to make ? Areas? Items? NPCs?

I can walk you through various things . . . you might look through the Toolsetting Forum for various tips and tricks
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Yes thank you!

I can probably produce any of the above and with good realism and detail.

Most of all, I don't know/remember all of the standards that might be ALFA friendly, like for instance, the proper naming conventions for an item among many other tings, not the name of the item IC, but in the background, the proper naming within the toolset not only to make sure the item is easy(ier) to find in the DM client or toolset for changes etc, but also for consistency etc.

And I don't want to start, when in the end the item will just have to be remade completely, which is ultimately a huge waste of initial time.

Also the "pricing" section is wonky. There must be ALFA-standards/procedures during creation that would allow for proper pricing to appear when the item is in game, etc.

For instance, anyone know why "Silver" weapons are SO expensive at the vendors? Is it supposed to be that way?

For instance, a "Alchemical Silver Handaxe" is like......24 gp. And a "Silver Handaxe", is like 2300 gp. WTfffff?

Alchemical has -1 damage. Silver has no modifier, and is not magical. Is this really the way it's supposed to be? or are those vendors out-of-date and need to be tuned? Or am I crazy and silver is supposed to be that expensive? cuz i doubt a silver weapon was ever bought from any vendor on any server in ALFA in ALFA history at that price.

Same as "areas"... there must be ALFA-standards for PVP-enabled, weather, lighting, etc, etc.

:)

all good
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm

http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Prici ... _Materials

http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Categ ... al_Manuals

Depending on which server your making stuff for . . . Different HDMs have different naming conventions for various things it seems ... only the standard creatures that are part of the campaign folder are always the same it seems to me
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

The reasoning behind silver being priced as such, is it is acid/rust proof, iirc. (and doesn't have the -damage mod) And let your doubts be assuaged, I've bought more than one silver weapon.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

I don't suage anything! EW!

And thank you, yes I do realize "why" it costs more. but the mark up seems atrociously high.

Cool that you bought silver weapons. Although, they seem like a waste of money if it was not for awesome RP reasons.

I would think (beyond RP reasons for rich PCs), they would only be truly useful against creatures with silver vulnerabilities (very rare!), or rust monsters (ultra rare!), but even then, Alchemical Silver weapons do the exact same thing but only take a -1 damage hit. For the massive (multiple of x10) hike in price, buying pure silver just seems like way too much - I always thought it was just a "toolset pricing error".

That being said, a "Were-hunter"-style PC would be very much in character spending the money for pure silver weapons... but again, I don't think they should be priced same-as (or more!?) than Magical weapons.

Ironically, my current character might buy a Solid Silver Battleaxe just because ...and he fought a Werewolf at level 3, and rumors down around Ruqel state there is a werewolf problem down there that he's keen to contend with....

And danielmn........PLEASE come back and login and play! I miss you (and everyone).

Cheers. :)
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

No mistake in the toolset. I created both silver and alchemical silver weapons for stores, and followed Alfa's pricing guide...(Hey, I didn't come up with the pricing scheme, I just happened to be the shmuck with a ton of time on his hands). Perhaps I shall return one day soon. As of now I work odd hours, though that schedule is soon to change.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

I see, well, seems silver is highly rated, but overrated to me then. I am glad to hear it's all legit on server though. :)

I almost bought my PC a solid silver Battleaxe yesterday, because of this discussion... glad i didn't just yet!

As far as you and others playing again, here's hoping! :)
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Solid silver makes more sense once you're mid level. If your weapon is already +2ish, adding 1 point of damage to it would cost more than the difference between alchemical silver and solid silver.