Platinum armor & sheild

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Platinum armor & sheild

Post by Galadorn »

Looked around moderately, have seen armors made from silver, gold, mithril and adamantium in-game for purchase. But no Platinum.

Is such possible? (Can the material choice "platinum" for armor, Sheild or weapon be chosen in the toolset?), and if so, how much would a MW Full Plate cost made from platinum? How much would a Tower Sheild cost?
What would be the "special" default stats for such gear if possible?

If not able in the game engine, could such a thing be created custom made anyway? And what might the cost/stats be?

Silver and Gold seem to have inherent bonuses granted to the wearer in resistances to elemental damage, mithril is super light, and adamantium grants DR....what might platinum grant a wearer even before any enchantments?

Thanks for responses and hopefully something useful can come of this. If armors can be made from all other metals there's no real reason it can't be forged from Platinum right? :)

-Matt
Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: Platinum armor & sheild

Post by Arianna »

Platinum Is a metal choice in the toolset

it looks like its about the same pricing as gold on the Pricing documents http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Pricing_Documentation

However there is nothing special attached to it currently that I can see in the 2da like there is to Mitheral and Adamantine and Dragon scale

Nor does the SRD have anything special attached to platinum http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialMaterials.htm

So I would say . . yes you can make it , its going to cost you a lot of coin and while it will be shiny, it doesn't get any special attributes naturally
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Will it not cost 10x what gold would?
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Mick wrote:Will it not cost 10x what gold would?

I would have thought so and maybe I am misreading something on the pricing document we use but it sure looks like it has the same cost as gold to me

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Yay thanks a million. :)

It says Heavy Armor (Platinum), 10,000 gold cost.

Would making it (Armorsmithing: Skill) custom in game follow normal 1/2 price rules?

And how long would it take game-time (and RL time) if the opportunity appeared to RP its crafting anyone know ?

Thank you for the information all!
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Platinum armor provides resistance to cold and sonic damage.

It was splatbook content added in the Rusty era and carried through forever after. The fact that it's from a splatbook is also why pricing is inconsistent and it's not terribly well balanced mechanically.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Dang son, that's more ostentatious than a king.

Think about how the commoners would feel seeing some dude walking down the road in platinum armor... (probably delivering mail)
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

I know ain't it grand? :lol:
It's more of a tribute from my PC to his God (The "Platinum" Dragon of all dragons...) :)

And considering the price, I doubt it will happen soon (or ever? since my PC will be dead from solo adventuring anyway - as is the trend...).

But one can hope, and save, and save, and save... perhaps 1 day.

Zelknolf: Thank you for the info, I do hope if it ever happens, that those benefits do appear somehow. Cheers
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Galadorn wrote:Zelknolf: Thank you for the info, I do hope if it ever happens, that those benefits do appear somehow. Cheers
Whoever creates the item should hit it with the pricing tool and make sure to tool it with "Material: Platinum" -- the autopricer will change the armor rules type to heavy metal (your ACP is higher and the armor weighs more) and add the appropriate energy resist properties (for precious metals, it's 2 for light or shields, 4 for medium, 6 for heavy -- doesn't stack, 'course; platinum full plate + platinum shield = resist 6 cold and resist 6 sonic) -- it'll also handle whatever crazy math goes into any enchantment that might be dumped on top of it.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

The pricing guide (from link above) says: "10,000 gp flat rate for heavy armor made from Platinum".
This is "un"-enchanted.

The armor unenchanted would grant the resistances I assume. Still mundane armor. Similar to Masterwork Mithril armor being 1/2 weight or whatever.

So then after it's made (i.e. only Masterwork, w/ resistances), it would only cost 1000 gp to make +1 "enchanted" correct?
Since "only MW" is just mundane armor. The resistances would be just inherent to the metal being used wouldn't it?
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

In all of the math provided, 10000 + cost of the steel item is the "base item cost" (the masterwork column tells us that we don't have to add ~another~ 150 to get the benefits of masterwork gear).

So a platinum full plate +1 is 12500 gold in total, and the enchantment itself is only 1000 of it.

The elemental resists being considered "mundane" properties of the material.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Yay thanks again for the specifics Zelknolf!

But getting even more specific, if my PC cannot imbue magic into an item, would he still be allowed to custom make mundane Platinum Full Plate, just masterwork?

And secondly if allowed, would that MW Platinum Armor have the resistances?

And thirdly, without the magic, that armor inquestion would cost 1500+10,000, totaling: 11,500 gp, so crafting it would cost 1/2 that do you agree? So 5,750gp?
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

I don't understand how someone can even make platinum armor for for less then at least the base cost of the platinum itself . Seems to me it would take ALOT of platinum to make a full suit of armor

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Galadorn wrote:And thirdly, without the magic, that armor inquestion would cost 1500+10,000, totaling: 11,500 gp, so crafting it would cost 1/2 that do you agree? So 5,750gp?
Mundane crafting costs 1/3 in materials -- so 3833 gold.

The remainder of gold must be made up by working on it; a day of work contributing skill check x skill DC in copper coins to the project, and the project being done when the total of materials and skill contributions is greater than or equal to the value of the finished product.

DC is 10 + the armor's AC (so DC 18 in this case), and can be willingly increased in increments of 10. You can take 10 on this check (unless, by some weird happenstance, you're working while being actively harried -- you should probably fight that guy first, then craft).

Failure by 5 or more ruins the project and you have to pay half the raw material cost to continue.

So, if you were a hardcore dwarven kickass crafter (let's say level 6, 9 ranks in craft(armorer) [+9 total], skill focus (armorer) [+12 total], 14 int [+14 total], and masterwork tools [+16 total] [also dwarf working with metal, which is racial +2 for a total of +18] -- you'd make 7.84 gold worth of progress per day [take 10, +18 = 28; voluntary increase of DC from 18->28], and finish in about 978 days)

I don't understand how someone can even make platinum armor for for less then at least the base cost of the platinum itself . Seems to me it would take ALOT of platinum to make a full suit of armor
Platinum should also weigh like triple what steel weighs.

This is the trouble with splatbooks: their primary purpose isn't to add to your world. They're trying to excite particular niches, and generally do so by telling the niche that they're more important than they are and suggest mechanics that make them more powerful than they should be. Relatively few people buy books that read "You're meat in a shirt; you'll be forgotten and replaced shortly after your inevitable death," but such harsh stances tend to make worlds that are more internally consistent.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Don't forget to curse it so nobody can take it off from you ;)