Unretiring Past the limit

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

causk
Brown Bear

Re: Unretiring Past the limit

Post by causk »

OT: The issue is the timing of rule changes and what precedent to apply. The issue is not if following rules is optional. Also: i will hate, if you continue hypothesising hate.

I think Vendrin hasnt been playing here for quite a while, possibly before the time we allowed 2nd pcs. Possibly before we allowed unretiring at all. We have precedents for people being allowed to unretire PCs that were retired before unretirement/retirement/2nd pcs were even an option. If Vendrin never had two active pcs at the same time, I think there are grounds to rule along the same lines as was for other people before.

As to rule changes to reflect community sentiment: Are we discussing to have Two PCs and having pcs (un)retireable now? Or just generalizing the precedent of unretiring pcs that were retired before rule changes? If its the later, then there will likely be only a very limited number of cases. In general i think while having a neat codified ruleset is good, in the specifics we will likely never get to the point where things dont have to be discussed and ruled upon. I dont expect this issue to come up all that often again. Without checking i dont think it has come up more than 5 times in as many years. Formulating a new rule has its pitfalls too (wording, drawing attention to the option and then lawyering about it).
TLDR: dont think wording a rule is worth the effort.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Just let him play whomever he wants, and let him do it in a timely fashion.

At this stage of ALFA, there is little point in getting hung up on arbitrary rules, especially one that'll keep out a class dude/pc with a long in game history. Let the man back/RP in.

Unfiltered opinion delivered.

(And for the record, I say unlock the door on people starting up old pc's, if it gets them in game)
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Zelknolf wrote:Did you play the two temps at the same time?

If you played one, retired it, and then played another, you still have your first.
Vendrin played Barid so long ago that we would literally need to dust off the archives to find any logins with that PC.
All ALFA players were permitted to have two PCs on January 20th, 2013
Vendrin rolled Maric on June 19th, 2013 and played until June 20th, 2013
He then rolled Loial on December 20th, 2013 and played until January 23rd, 2014
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

He's obviously a Russian Spy.

Bonus! ....plus this thread is really great for not very much.

Game on!
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

[quote="Rumple C"]Just let him play whomever he wants, and let him do it in a timely fashion.

This.
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

ImStrokerAce wrote:
Rumple C wrote:Just let him play whomever he wants, and let him do it in a timely fashion.

This.

+1
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Why are we here +1ing things?

See my last post. Barring some abrupt "the rules don't apply to Vendrin, specifically to penalize and restrict him" ruling, his first alt is permanently out of play and he gets to play Barid.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Well, ok then!??
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Just scrap the rule then and let Ven play what he wants.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Vendrin see what you started!!??! such a DRAAAMA KING without even trying...

Roll a new PC, maybe aaaaaaaa DWARF! yea! a dwarf!
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Servers does need more dwarfs

But can I tempt you to the hin side?
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

In all honesty based on current regular population of players from what i've noticed last 7-8 weeks there's quite a few dorfs around... just rarely at the same time and split between 2 servers.... :)

But Willjo has plans to soon put out the BIG CALLING to all dwarven adventurers to gather soon! hehehe