static Quest Ideas

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Arianna
Tech Admin

static Quest Ideas

Post by Arianna »

Looking to add a few simple statics to the druids grove areas

But I know very little about druids in general

What sort of quests would a higher druid send lower level druids to do ?

They must be easily implemented and not require a DM to do.

Would appreciate suggestions
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: static Quest Ideas

Post by Brokenbone »

At least at the technical end there's a lot of good documentation http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Writing_ACR_Quests ... further links there take you to some examples of the series of Ruqel quests. Those being around to look at, adapt to different dialogue and whatnot sure never hurts.

I am not sure if there's really more than a handful of druids in ALFA, probably more rangers. Still, with how few people we have around it may be good design to have quests even of a "things a MS druid would give out" actually suitable for any PC. If you want to treat druids (and/or possibly rangers, and/or Chauntea worshippers, and/or PCs who can clearly be ID'd as Ffolk) special, you could always do something fancy in the rewards area to open up a broader array of rewards than whatever normal mercenary types get.

Ideas though?

- infestation type quest - quell some undesirable pile of critters. Much like the Ruqel centipedes thing, insert something else of choice. MS is a bunch of islands, some ship which turned out to have dreaded uh... Calimsham Screech Bats are displacing lovely Gwynneth Gray Swallows? KILL THE SCREECH BATS! No those aren't canon critters, just a reason to say "eliminate a pile of bats."

- scouting / surveys - does MS have many moonwells to go check out? Walk there, yep all well or oh wait there's some side quest to investigate, return.

- herbalism type questy stuff, go collect (x herbs) and then go try doing stuff at some cauldron placeable (heal checks of certain DC to create some desired unguent)?

- there's probably lots of MS fluff about druids and the place they hold in the community / esteem of Ffolk, maybe mediating between NPCs in a couple different villages (Elder A has a beef, go talk to Elder B, Elder B's comments brought back, Elder A to convince, maybe a side quest to redeem Elder B's Macguffin that it turns out Elder A can help with and mend fences)
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

A druid might send another to gather the goat's blood and special herbs used to complete the circle around the ritualistic drowning of the defeated.

Alternately, they might be sent to gather the necessary wicker needed to burn the hated as a wickerman.

Wait...

FR druids are so lame. Le sigh.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

I think we get a floppy response like Heero's because all of the faith of RL druids was stripped to make room for our fantasy religions, and so this question is a lot like asking what quests a temple would give out (clerics, of course, having also had all of the faith of RL clergy stripped to make room for fantasy religions), but the answer would be vastly different depending on which faith the temple is for.

A Chauntean druid might as a socialite to help them through an impasse in whatever community they support (e.g. the mayor's wife found out about the mayor's mistress, and the often-public often-destructive fighting is disrupting the community and will eventually threaten the harvest). They might offer more-fightey characters a quest to investigate and eventually repair a local blight (this here flu that hits all of our cattle spreads too fast to be healed with magic, and we don't notice fast enough to isolate the sick cattle, but the only solution ~I~ can think of involves dealing with this likely-violent threat).

A Silvanite druid would probably be more interested in clearing the unnatural out of the area they're responsible for-- if you want good leaning, undead have staggered into the region, and there's really no answer for them but bashing them over the head. If you want evil leaning, some damn 'civilized' folk started cutting space for a farm in our woods, and we need him to not be there anymore and for it to not look like our work. (this could also mean two followup quests, depending on how the first is done-- if the farmer is convinced to leave, now what do we do about this starving family, Mr. 'subvert the evil quest to be reasonable'? -- if the farmer has some 'accident,' then the local law might be interested in the circumstances)

Malarites would want you to prove yourself to them, primarily through violence (particularly violence that doesn't use ranged weapons or harm children. Archery is the tool of cowards, and the children are our future.)
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

1) Go and calm a wild creature before it is hunted down and killed by local villagers
2) Go and convince a town to develop an alluvial plain rather than clear new forest (need checks in knowledge (nature))
3) Go and drive off a nest of kobald burrowing under one of the forests great trees
4) Go and secretly release wild horses a township have captured
5) Go and carry a message to another grove
6) Assist a unicorn in troubled birth
7) Watch over the final hours over of the old stag, king of the forest (invovles a fight with goblins who just arrived to eat it)
8) Negotiate some dark druids to leave the forest wit threats form the circle leaders
9) Destroy a dam (involves diplomacy or a fight)
10) Go and kill some foresters who are defiling a sacred grove and have not responded to requests (perhaps only for the hardcore of silvanus)
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Zelk is right, there is little difference to clerics of the faith(s). Just think of what a cleric of each faith would do and then add a hippy-who-cant-wear-metal-armor twist to it.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Could also tool some of the solutions to use the RP spell list?
Need to check which of those (if any) are implement on druids though.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

I think it's great initiative, but I also think that some time should be invested in fixing existing broken statics as well.

The tanner bear static is broken, and the castle Corwell fey hunting too.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

rorax wrote:I think it's great initiative, but I also think that some time should be invested in fixing existing broken statics as well.

The tanner bear static is broken, and the castle Corwell fey hunting too.

Ummm if you find something broken . . post it in the BUG thread . . . I have no way to know unless some one points to it .

am unaware that there is a fey hunting static in the castle .. Who gives it out?

and the Bear static worked the last time I checked
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

A prominent politician has a bad habit of playing perversely with poor piggies, who must be protected post-haste. It's a (alleged) thing.

#piggate
12.August.2015: Never forget.