30 Day Timer Request

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Duck One
Orc Champion

Re: 30 Day Timer Request

Post by Duck One »

kid wrote:There are millons of options. HEEGZ wants to play BG/TSM, that's fine, DM MS. I'm sure he'll find a group of willing players.

There's no reason to continue to hackle at the one option that makes too many of us too uncomfortable.
This doesn't address my situation, or that of the next guy. If you are not comfortable DMing where you play, then choose not to. If you are not comfortable with my DMing where I play, then why? Why do you care so much about me and my game that it bothers your enjoyment of your game?
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

kid wrote:There are millons of options. HEEGZ wants to play BG/TSM, that's fine, DM MS. I'm sure he'll find a group of willing players.

There's no reason to continue to hackle at the one option that makes too many of us too uncomfortable.
You also seem to think a player can pick up and DM where they wish, and you should know that is not true. Familiarity with the server is absolutely required, knowing the physical layout, the mechanics of the scripts, the politics and factions of the region, the NPC's, etc. The of course there are the working relationships with the other DM's, most centrally the HDM. It's not nearly as simple as you represent it here.
Duck One

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Brokenbone wrote:I more meant "prospect" as in "some new form of abuse" which is somehow uniquely open to any kind of "come and go" DMing.
There's a difference between inventing new kinds of abuse and saying that actual abuses which currently happen will continue to happen, and that circumstances around those abuses will have a meaningful influence on the damage they cause.
Duck One wrote:Why do you care so much about me and my game that it bothers your enjoyment of your game?
Because your game is Kid's game is my game. This is a persistent world. The minimum buyin is that everyone's game is the same game.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Duck, I've DM'd every server on ALFA for at least a year (other than WHL, which was maybe just a couple of months).
You can learn as you go along, it's not that hard, and I've the experience to say that, and you, well, don't.

It is really that simple.

And yes to Zelk's statement. The way things operate in my game world influence my game.

If my game suddenly generates invincible gnomes... That would certainly influence my game.
I don't think something as bad would happen, mind you, but it would be enough to make me go "Meh, no fun", and likely not play where DMs are players (or close to it).

Now if you want to have a closed group of three people who play and DM at the same time, do not interact with my PC or influence my game world, by all means, go for it.

Just make sure they don't touch my game in anyway and we're good.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Zelknolf wrote:Because your game is Kid's game is my game. This is a persistent world. The minimum buyin is that everyone's game is the same game.
I fundamentally disagree. My game is mine. It exists with or without you. My character story hinges upon 2 things: the story told by the DM, and my choices in response. It may involve other characters in the story, both NPC's and PC's, their existence and progression is ENTIRELY distinct from mine. If another character levels twice as fast and is much more wealthy, it DOES NOT change my experience one bit.

It's a bit like me sitting next to you in a movie theatre. One could try to argue that we are experiencing the movie "together" because we are in the same space and sharing a similar experience, but the truth of it is that my experience from that movie can be quite different from yours. The real experience is what that director is putting on for you and how you perceive it, and the fact that I am sitting next to you in the same space isn't changing that.
Duck One

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I feel stupid even replying.

No, we're not watching the movie... We're acting in the movie... And we're co-stars.

If my co-star wants to act as if he's in a soap opera, while I like thrillers that has an impact.
If he wants to act like he's in a super hero movie (and somehow gets away with it without justification imm, lets say) that has an impact.

It turns the movie I'm acting in (or even watching) into a movie I dont wanna be a part of.

Anyways, seriously, just run for DMA, man, then try and change what you like.

Regardless, let us assume you are some magical individual that is utterly unaffected by anything...
The rest of us humans, are...
And so unless you just want to play with yourself, you'll have to take into account the limitations of us, the ordinary human beings.
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

If you personally dont have a problem with the seamless DMing; great! It seems that some do have an issue, and discounting their opinion seems silly to me. I thought the 7-10 day turnover was enough of a step so it provided a suitable middle-ground, and the reset allowed to get back to playing with great speed. In truth; who really needs less than that? We have the ability to have two PC's so not playing isnt a factor; so what is the issue?
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

The issue is lots of people are chomping at the bit for a chance to cheat. Cool down, you Lance Armstrongs, you.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Duck One wrote:I fundamentally disagree. My game is mine. It exists with or without you. My character story hinges upon 2 things: the story told by the DM, and my choices in response. It may involve other characters in the story, both NPC's and PC's, their existence and progression is ENTIRELY distinct from mine. If another character levels twice as fast and is much more wealthy, it DOES NOT change my experience one bit.

It's a bit like me sitting next to you in a movie theatre. One could try to argue that we are experiencing the movie "together" because we are in the same space and sharing a similar experience, but the truth of it is that my experience from that movie can be quite different from yours. The real experience is what that director is putting on for you and how you perceive it, and the fact that I am sitting next to you in the same space isn't changing that.
This is by the core premise of our game, and by the core premise of all persistent worlds, untrue.

Anything your character does is canon in my game. Anything my character does is canon in your game. We're not sitting next to one another in a theatre because we're both actors and writers-- the same way that you can't play a special ALFA where there isn't a new ALFA-only nation state on the Way of the Lion lead by a level 20 favored soul (and, in title, her wife), I can't play a special ALFA where a mohawked bard doesn't sing an upbeat song about Izzy on occasion.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Xanthea wrote:The issue is lots of people are chomping at the bit for a chance to cheat. Cool down, you Lance Armstrongs, you.
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

If we're going to open this can of worms I suggest it starting it in the Off-topic : )
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I suppose the original purpose of this thread has run it's course. Thank you once again to our Admin.

The frequency of returning to DM status can be sorted out with respective HDMs, and I've already tried contacting them.

I no longer have mod rights here, but someone who does is free to lock my thread, it has served it's purpose.

Thanks! 8)
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Well, you may think it has run its course, and that's your prerogative, but some of us are unable to stop typing even when it's clearly a dead horse.

As a member of ALFA....

Oh, wait, you said lock?

Yeah, lock this motherfucker. :P
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Locked at OP's request.