3rd PCs

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Re: 3rd PCs

Post by gonz.0 »

I have little issue with 3rd or even 4th pcs. I do think that the systems that were talked about to keep players from self gifting, assuming that they ever were made and implemented, would work to stop that for a third as much as a second.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to retire. To bring back your more advanced, more connected to certain people character to interact when certain characters come onto the scene. It's part of why I hang on to Horatio. He's my 2nd pc, and all the wishes for luck paid off in my case. (good luck with your second character.. haha) I am loath to put him away. I did for a while, and then came back. If I had an option for a 3rd at the time, I wouldn't have 'retired' my other character.

However, I think there is always that low percentage of people who would abuse such things. It is not appropriate to ask our tech team to find ways to police yet another character per player, or series of them. As such, I would not be in favor of this unless a decision is made to go forward that does not involve any tech upgrades to accommodate it.
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

If players want to have only 1 PC and commit exclusively to it, so be it. If other players want multiple PC's so that they have one that fits with a particular group, that should be fine too. Any and all barriers to players being able to group should be removed.

There is a chance that players could twink their characters, passing loot between their own PC's. First of all: I don't care. To me, this would be akin to cheating at solitaire. They are only cheating themselves out of a good adventure. We aren't giving away prizes to the guy that levels the fastest, so this is really of little concern. In my PnP days, we had a code. Never look at another man's dice, question his character sheet, or doubt the DM. Were a few numbers dishonest? Perhaps, but it didn't affect my game. I still got to play and have fun, and so did they, so it wasn't worth the drama to try to catch it. Over time that's how everyone came to feel, and it was an open and healthy group for it.

There was a time in ALFA when there were so many players that it would be impractical to watch for twinking anecdotally, and a real risk of upsetting the economy of ALFA with some bad seeds existed, and therefore policies to limit this risk made sense. The community is small enough now that most are familiar with the players and characters, and the risk is very slight now.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Duck One wrote:<SNIP>

There was a time in ALFA when there were so many players that it would be impractical to watch for twinking anecdotally, and a real risk of upsetting the economy of ALFA with some bad seeds existed, and therefore policies to limit this risk made sense. The community is small enough now that most are familiar with the players and characters, and the risk is very slight now.
The community is very small and weird patterns get noticed fast... think "old lady looking out her windows with binoculars writing down what all the (despised) neighbours are doing." Haven't played one of my PCs since last October, and the other one it's been much fewer months, but I'd give a go to a nooblin struggling to afford his first heavy armor or whatever, as there's groups around that support that a lot better than groups who are looking for a level 9 or 10 with all kinds of baggage / history with departed / hiatus PCs.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

think "old lady looking out her windows with binoculars writing down what all the (despised) neighbours are doing."
Now that's good inspiration for an NPC; substitute 'PCs' or 'adventurers' for 'neighbours'
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Ithildur wrote:Now that's good inspiration for an NPC; substitute 'PCs' or 'adventurers' for 'neighbours'
I totally already did this.

Though this time, it's a thing I did like a week ago instead of some feature I put in a year ago and nobody used. This is clearly a sign from above that the insufferable gossip scripts were meant to be.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

What do the gossips do though?

Actually wait, I guess the speak strings are in the UTC...

"Oh! You won't believe this, I saw (whatever PC stepped on some trigger presumably by centipede hole) crawling into an animal den!"

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Brokenbone wrote:What do the gossips do though?

Actually wait, I guess the speak strings are in the UTC...

"Oh! You won't believe this, I saw (whatever PC stepped on some trigger presumably by centipede hole) crawling into an animal den!"
Yeah, there's matching scripts. They stand at the intersection in the middle of town and watch PCs wandering around, and then talk about them once they leave. Potentially in front of other PCs. (this may or may not have some grand design purpose-- like for a town that seems to have acquired two clearly-social buildings, which one to go to in order to find other PCs)

// edit -- and it's of course tied into the reputation system. So they know your name if you have an exceptional reputation in either direction, but you're just "some people with weapons" if not.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Fun stuff; something similar ought to be featured in every CRPG (the original BG1 game had elements of it, I'm guessing a few other games do as well).
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

The real feature is that one of them is named Becky.

Oh my God, Becky! Did you, like, oh my God, did you see that?
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

I saw the Becky mention too!

"Oh, my, god. Becky, look at {PCNAME}'s butt
It is so big. She looks like
One of those adventurer guys' girlfriends
But, y'know, who understands those adventurer guys?
They only talk to her, because
She looks like a total prostitute, 'kay?
I mean, her butt, is just so big
I can't believe it's just so round, it's like
Out there, I mean - gross."

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Alas, my gossips aren't advanced enough to know when Sir Mix-a-Lot would like to head on up to retrieve it when other brothers wanna just leave it.