The PA

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

The PA

Post by Mikayla »

Hello folks. I am sure many of you, if not most of you, have noticed I have not been around much lately. There are numerous reasons for this, none really related to ALFA, and it is what it is. That said, when I receive a PM in ALFA's forums, it goes to my email and pings my phone. Sooooo.... unless something truly terrible is happening, I answer PMs pretty quickly - usually immediately if I can, or within 24 hours at the latest. The one exception is that Zelk asked me to add something to the rule book, which I agreed to do because I thought it was a good idea ... but I did not get around to doing it. Other than that, when people have complaints or need PA approval for whatever, I answer and act pretty quickly upon receiving a PM.

Now ... next month comes the PA election. The question then is do I run again or not? I am perfectly happy to go on settling disputes and reviewing requests for PA approval ... I am also perfectly happy to NOT do it if someone else steps up. So, think about it. There are some folks who run for Admin offices (sometimes winning) who I don't think should be Admin, and there are other folks in ALFA who would make great Admin. Fortunately, ALFA seems to survive them all.

In short, if you don't want me as PA for the next term (which I totally understand), think about who you DO want. Someone has to do the job even if the job's duties have dwindled over the years. Ciao.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Re: The PA

Post by CloudDancing »

I don't know about PA stuff as I've heard no complaints.

Miss you in game, tho'
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

CloudDancing wrote:I don't know about PA stuff as I've heard no complaints.

Miss you in game, tho'
+1^100
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA

Post by Mikayla »

Cloud, gonz0, I appreciate the sentiment. Right now is summer break for my son, who is spending the whole summer with me here in California (he is going to high school in Texas). So, until the third week of August or so, I do not really have time for ALFA - what time I have for video games I generally spend playing Co-Op games with him. But, towards the end of August when he goes back to school, I should have time again. :)
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

gonz.0 wrote:
CloudDancing wrote:I don't know about PA stuff as I've heard no complaints.

Miss you in game, tho'
+1^100
yes, that. Also thanks for the post, and have fun visiting with your son!
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Ill take the reins next running.

Firm, but fair.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

It's true. Heero is a firm ride. 4.5/5. Would recommend to friends.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

If Heero isn't too inclined, I would also take another stab at the office. But I'm more than happy to let him stab it if he wants to.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Post by vergin_sacrifice »

I think perhaps it might be important to detail what it is that the PA actually does, or for what they are responsible.
I doubt, therefore; I might be
Calil - Elf maid depicted in profile picture.
Bellie - Small woman from Lowhill with big attitude - see below
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

vergin_sacrifice wrote:I think perhaps it might be important to detail what it is that the PA actually does, or for what they are responsible.
The A Land Far Away Charter wrote:Player Administrator (PA) - Applications, Guilds, ALFA Player’s Manual, ALFA Representatives, Player Discipline, and Player Acceptance.
ALFA Representatives are more-commonly known as ARs, and they serve the role of helping players navigate our more byzantine systems when there's Game B trouble afoot and players don't necessarily know the next steps. It's also implied that they're supposed to raise the red flag if that Game B trouble looks like crazy vendettas; I don't know how often this comes up. The PA is allowed to have ten; they can't be HDMs or Admin; most PAs don't feel the need.

Player Discipline implies responsibility for some sections of the ALFA rulebook, as you're not allowed to censure people for things you didn't make available to the general public.

The PA also serves as an emergency LA if the process of picking a new LA would call for the LA's action.

Historically, the position had to focus a lot on applications and discipline, because they're just time-consuming jobs, and a lot of the PA post has in the past been the drama of CvC and farming complaints. Since our CvC rule change and our diminishing returns systems, these issues have become less common. I'm tempted to say that there are fewer of other kinds of complaints, too, because I've never had to fetch or compile information for Mikayla, but it's just as possible that she's better at getting information than previous PAs.

As far as I can tell (of course, second hand observation here-- I defer to Mikayla if she disagrees; I may have spent more time as admin, but I definitely have less time as Player Admin), the most-relevant skills seem to be mediation and communication. A PA who can make previously-fighting people compromise seems to get the best results and the best results-to-blowback ratio.
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA

Post by Mikayla »

Zelk's analysis is spot-on, especially this part: "the most-relevant skills seem to be mediation and communication. A PA who can make previously-fighting people compromise seems to get the best results and the best results-to-blowback ratio."

Occasionally you have to give people strikes and/or ban folks. During my run from 2006-2008, that was a very common occurrence. During the last two years, I've only had to ban one person. Applications used to be a big thing - lots of people applying, multiple approvals needed, etc. Now? Not so much. The job requires far, far less time than it did in the mid 2000s. That said, a visionary PA (which I am not at this point) could use the position to help make changes to ALFA as ALFA rolls through time. If/when ALFA migrates to a new a platform, or formally adopts a new purpose, or whatever, a visionary PA could help shape that. I am not that person, as I have mentioned in the past. I am not opposed to change - I just do not have the interest to dive in, figure out what changes I think would be good and then pursue them. Of course, the PA position is limited in power like all other Admin positions, and one of the unwritten duties of the PA (as with ALL the Admin positions) is to balance out the other Admin and try to make sure everyone plays nice. Sometimes you succeed, sometimes you don't, and still ALFA rolls on, sometimes better, sometimes worse.

From 2006 to today, my strength in this position was resolving disputes. A decade ago I also helped draft the Charter and I wrote the first draft of the Pillars, but I had a lot more time and energy available back then, and those tasks I undertook because I wanted to contribute to ALFA, not because I was PA (in fact, I was not PA when I helped with the Charter, I was an ADM and then an HDM, but that was a very long time ago).

Anyway, I have not posted my candidacy in the Self-Nomination thread because I do not want to scare off anyone thinking of running. If no one self-nominates in the next couple of days, I will self-nominate so that someone fills the job, but if someone out there thinks they can do it, please, by all means, step up. The last thing I want is for any Admin position to become a defacto hereditary title - too stagnate. Thanks.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Please self-nominate.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Post by vergin_sacrifice »

I kind of have to agree with Kid. If you can do the job with your RL not too greatly impacted, you should self nominate. It would appear that you have an endorsement or more than one, that says you are well qualified for the position.
I doubt, therefore; I might be
Calil - Elf maid depicted in profile picture.
Bellie - Small woman from Lowhill with big attitude - see below
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

vergin_sacrifice wrote:I kind of have to agree with Kid. If you can do the job with your RL not too greatly impacted, you should self nominate. It would appear that you have an endorsement or more than one, that says you are well qualified for the position.
+1