Bard Bug - ACR Issue?

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Duck One
Orc Champion

Bard Bug - ACR Issue?

Post by Duck One »

My bard, presently on BG, just got to level 3. His primary performance skill, perform strings, now has the maximum skill points allotted to it: 6. Additionally he has 4 skill points allotted to perform sing, giving him a combined allotment of 10 skills points devoted to his performance skills. For whatever it's worth, his 18 charisma gives him an additional +4 to perform. He now has a bardic ability which won't work for him.

Haven Song: Prerequisite: Bard 3, Perform 6
Specifics: This song renders all enemies who fail a Will save (DC 11 + 1/2 the bard's level + the bard's Charisma modifier) to be unable to attack the bard for 10 rounds, or until the bard takes hostile action against them or their allies (for example, attacking or casting a harmful spell). The Fascinate and Cloud Mind songs do not count as hostile actions.

When I attempt the ability, I get a message to the effect of "This ability requires 6 ranks in perform"

What does the ACR look to when determining of my bard has the required 6 ranks? I assume that the splitting of the performance skills had to do some kind of adjustment to the check these abilities use to verify the require ranks are present. Note: other bardic abilities: inspire courage, inspire competence, countersong, and fascinate, all seem to work, but they have lower perform requirements (3 or 4 ranks).
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: Bard Bug - ACR Issue?

Post by Arianna »

Duck One wrote:My bard, presently on BG, just got to level 3. His primary performance skill, perform strings, now has the maximum skill points allotted to it: 6. Additionally he has 4 skill points allotted to perform sing, giving him a combined allotment of 10 skills points devoted to his performance skills. For whatever it's worth, his 18 charisma gives him an additional +4 to perform. He now has a bardic ability which won't work for him.

Haven Song: Prerequisite: Bard 3, Perform 6
Specifics: This song renders all enemies who fail a Will save (DC 11 + 1/2 the bard's level + the bard's Charisma modifier) to be unable to attack the bard for 10 rounds, or until the bard takes hostile action against them or their allies (for example, attacking or casting a harmful spell). The Fascinate and Cloud Mind songs do not count as hostile actions.

When I attempt the ability, I get a message to the effect of "This ability requires 6 ranks in perform"

What does the ACR look to when determining of my bard has the required 6 ranks? I assume that the splitting of the performance skills had to do some kind of adjustment to the check these abilities use to verify the require ranks are present. Note: other bardic abilities: inspire courage, inspire competence, countersong, and fascinate, all seem to work, but they have lower perform requirements (3 or 4 ranks).

I thought Tech fixed that
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

You must be wielding an item appropriate to your perform skill in order to use that perform skill for your bard song.

So, if your perform skill is strings, you need a string instrument to do that. (this is why most bards go with singing or oratory. Your voice doesn't fill your hands)
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Zelknolf wrote:(this is why most bards go with singing or oratory. Your voice doesn't fill your hands)
Thats hardly as fun.

Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Zelknolf wrote:You must be wielding an item appropriate to your perform skill in order to use that perform skill for your bard song.

So, if your perform skill is strings, you need a string instrument to do that. (this is why most bards go with singing or oratory. Your voice doesn't fill your hands)
Thanks. I guess that stands to reason.
Duck One

Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

It's even worse when you have to drag around the tuba.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Tested it last night for Zelk. It did not work. She then modified the "base skill" (I assume the original generic "perform" skill) of my character, and it worked. Without looking that the code, she guessed that perform:strings and/or the Haven song got missed in the ACR modification. Guess I'm the first ever bard to use string performance to survive to level 3 in ALFA.
Duck One

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

... wow.

So, the bug; there was a line missing from our build script. The code is fine-- which is why it tested fine, and why Arri's first response was thinking we fixed that.

The "base skill rank" (that is typically the number of skill points you've spent on a skill, but is half that for cross-class skills... unless you have able learner) is why you couldn't get a skill bonus item to make any change. This is one of the core mechanics of the bard class, even in base NWN2.

Stephon is just one in a long line of bards who've made it out of their first couple of levels. The highest-level one is in the double digits.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Zelknolf wrote:... wow..
I think you misunderstood me. I presumed it to be a relatively minor oversight, and it was missed because it never came up before. I was not bragging, rather playing down the fact that my choice in my character must in some way be unusual for it to have not come up before....i.e. the combination of strings perform and a level 3 character.

This is a good illustration of why VoIP is very much needed in this community. The ability to misread the tone of text is too easily done.
Duck One