Question about low level group XP

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

kid
Dungeon Master

Re: Question about low level group XP

Post by kid »

How about setting a minimum of 1 xp per critter when in party of 2 (or more)?

Is that hard work, or even worthwhile/desired?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
SCI-kick
Gelatinous Cube

Post by SCI-kick »

kid wrote:How about setting a minimum of 1 xp per critter when in party of 2 (or more)?

Is that hard work, or even worthwhile/desired?

I like this suggestion, if it is even possible. It's really the best way to account for mob XP without being over complicated.

Yes, I know occasionally a group might receive 1XP for killing something that was no challenge, but who cares? It's 1XP.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

SCI-kick wrote:I like this suggestion, if it is even possible. It's really the best way to account for mob XP without being over complicated.

Yes, I know occasionally a group might receive 1XP for killing something that was no challenge, but who cares? It's 1XP.
The overwhelming majority of farming that has happened in ALFA was precisely two people teaming up to kill thousands of CR 1 creatures-- which is why we added the clause that 8 points of CR difference always results in 0 xp, why we had to dramatically reduce the respawn rates of the Cloakwood goblins, and why we had to reduce and then eliminate a number of our bounty quests.

The part that seems particularly odd to me, here, is that the actual problem (inability to calculate encounter level) is currently at a state where the people unhappy with rewards can help. Fight creatures who are on the new AI; document, in as much detail as possible, the instances where they do stupid things. If there's enough confidence in the behavior of this system that HDMs are OK with it being on for everything all the time, then we can do that, and then rely on it and all its features (including that it -does- have a concept of NPC parties and thus encounter level).
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I admit that with our limited play times I don't worry too much about farming anymore.

Also there's a big difference between the BG goblins of old which were higher CR and gave fat XP or the era of ears, than just allowing 1xp a critter... I mean, yes, you could theoretically kill hundreds of the buggers with a high level buddy,
but that would will be relatively easy to spot wouldn't it?
Also, if you like, limit the boon to parties of 3? (Again, if possible).

Anyways, not married to the idea, just the feeling of no reward (at all) for risk can be discouraging I think.
(Obviously, EL and shit would be nice)

I think this falls under DMA tho to say if it's allowed or not though (And TA to say, I guess, if it's possible/if she's willing or not)?
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Well, the "calculate encounter level" thing was approved two DMAs ago-- it died from DMs being unwilling to provide feedback about the systems such a thing would rely on. I guess the new DMA can overturn that. Now's probably a good time if so.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Meant the idea of min 1xp.

But tell me what you need me to check and I'll run all the tests you like/give any feedback you need once I get active again.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Zelk please provide some info on which mobs are on the new AI and what specific info you want reported and I will provide some feedback. Thanks.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

The module-level flag to turn on the new AI for everything was an HDM request. Lemme have a couple days to get hold of said HDM to make sure that's still happening. If it is, then we'll just be able to give you a server where every critter is a valid test case. If not, I'll look for stuff in your level range (EL < 4?) on BG. I don't know that we have enough of a list on the other servers that we can just aim Keren at it and say "Go."
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Just notify when, I'll be happy to test too.