Sometimes better to be heard and not seen

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Would you use voice chat through Mumble or Ventrilo?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes: 29

Heero
Beholder

Re: Sometimes better to be heard and not seen

Post by Heero »

One time matti and I skyped and I set up video skyping. I wanst wearing a shirt at the time.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Puny was in the background the whole time saying 'Is Heero not wearing a shirt?', and 'Tell Heero to put on a shirt'.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Zelknolf wrote:Do we know what kind of bandwidth that would use? I can't imagine there'd be much disk I/O for something of the sort (unless we actually do break out our black hats and handlebar moustaches and start answering to "Snidley" ... or the server software has memory leaks), but if the market is at all functional*, I would bet that the cost of resources + the cost of software would be closer to $80/yr.

* a dubious assumption, I know. See also: every politician pretending to be an economist.
FPS gamers are very sensitive to lag issues, so the software is developed with that in mind. The servers and clients can be configured to use moderate quality audio to limit the impact on bandwidth. VoIP in general is low bandwidth. It doesn't have to be on the same server as the game servers.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

I've used Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, and Mumble in other games. I've also attempted to do so for DM events in ALFA.

I find that as a DM, it is more difficult for me to write creatively and set a good scene for the players if I am distracted by player chatter.

Thus my answer to this survey is, "Yes, for MMOs, FPSs, and other real-time coordination games. No for ALFA."
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Yeah. I voted "yes" but I don't think I'd use it while I'm in-game.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

I vote NO

1--Voice chats SEVERELY increases my lag on game servers, my bandwidth sucks, I have played on mmo's where if you did not have teamspeak or something you could not group with some people. I would hate to see alfa fall into that way of thinking

2-- While voice might be ok for say a round table discussion on some subject or just general talk
I would NEVER want to have to use it in game because it would greatly ruin my personal immersion
people tend to be more OOC chatty when on a voice chat than they would be in in text.

3-- its pretty grating if some dude playing a girl is trying to RP, and I would not want to RP verbally, considering I have numerous family members in the same room as my computer.
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Yeah. I think this is more for chatting out of game, not anything in-game.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I think it should be mandatory for cyber sessions.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Rumple C wrote:I think it should be mandatory for cyber sessions.
Hawt.

I already do for my WoW guild during raids, cannot see I wouldn't use it here. Presuming I want to hear any of you crazies. I am not sure I do. I've heard drunken boom though. Funny in a "why did a drunken swede wake me up at 4am?" kind of way.
Lucifer
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Lucifer »

I would love to have a vent service here for ooc and out of game communication, but agree in game would ruin immersion and add to OOC crap, I say vent because having tried TeamSpeak , I can say personally that Vent rarely caused any lag even when I had a much slower connection, but teamspeak usually caused lag. as for the player chat causeing issues with a DM ect, with the use of private channels players could converse without intrudeing upon DM's unless the DM joined that private channel. but again unless everyone was willing to RP their Characters Voice for gender accent race ect., it would likely ruin immersion, however I must say hearing Ith speak perfectly accented "Tolkien Elvish" would be a treat..start practicing Ith!!
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Uh, no. :D

Doggoneit, I'm not nearly as much an Elf aficionado as people tend to think I am!

I do think most of us are thinking of out of game useage; one of the reasons why I turned down requests to skype while RPing (at least during heavy/intense sessions) is because it probably would be too distracting/immersion breaking for me.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Eh. Hard to find a good free Vent/Mumble server.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Maybe worth investigating Curse Voice
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

*ponders his elf having a deep voice with an Australian accent*

I would love to hear those playing dwarves though. 5 Star Trek Scotty's around a campfire.

But provided it was an optional facility and you didn't need it to participate in IG or OOC ALFA.

Patrick
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

If only. But ozzies don't speak English so...
How would that help?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea