New Tailor is In, But Could Use Info from Players

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

New Tailor is In, But Could Use Info from Players

Post by Zelknolf »

What Just Happened
BG has opened a tailor in Ruqel (for those familiar with the place, it's the new building; for those not familiar with the place, a haberdasher/ modiste/ milliner/ cordwainer = shirts and trousers/ dresses/ hats/ shoes). I'll leave it to TSM and MS (who requested copies and I provided, but I did not replace any of their existing NPCs) to say when and where their tailors are going up.

If the new tailor proves to be stable on the three servers who took it over the next week or so, I'll also be replacing the tailor in Baldur's Gate city with the new one.

How it Works
This new tailor organizes itself as a conversation tree, like the one before, but does not use "next model" or "previous model" to cycle through outfits. It provides a list of the various options with names as best as I could estimate (though I admit that I used words like "skimpy" and "revealing" often; there doesn't seem to be a happy medium between preparing for winter in Westeros and asking strangers if they need a date).

A few notable differences...
1. There is no cancel button. Everything is reversable, of course, by just picking the old settings again-- but a cancel button would've risk duplicate items by a different avenue, which was one of the goals of this project.
2. You can fiddle with a color of a given setting many times with one popup. There is no need to click "OK" until you're happy with the colors you've picked.
3. You have the ability to pick sets of models in addition to single models.
4. You have the ability to pick "base" and "accent" colors to modify the colors of many models at once, but if you have not picked the other, it will just make it black until you do. (so if I were to, having never picked any coloration, set an "accent" color on my armor as red, the result would be black [never picked a base] and red [just picked it]-- if I then set a "base" color as white, the result would be white [just picked it] and red [my last selected accent]-- if I then set "accent" color as blue, the result would be white [my last selected base] and blue [just picked it].)
5. Helmets, gloves, belts, boots, and cloaks can be added to clothing and armor which don't have them. Just pick a visual type and then pick a model.
6. Helmets, gloves, belts, boots, and cloaks can be removed from clothing and armor which do have them if they're unwanted. There's just a conversation option for that.
7. Helmet, arm, belt, foot, and cloak base items can be forced to their default appearance with the "remove" option. On helmets, this is a droopy hat; on arms and feet, this is bare hands and bare feet; on belts and cloaks, this is the appearance of no belt or no cloak.

Obviously, DMs may pimpslap you if you use the above to violate RP, which is at their discretion, and the PA may pimpslap you if they give orders that you ignore. That's outside of the borders of my power, though I will respond to instructions from DMs/the PA if they're obvious (e.g. if a certain model is always wrong with a certain kind of item, I'll just take the option to pick that model away. The only traps I want to leave in my content aim at characters, not players)

A few notable things that are still broken...
1. Non-armor items with appearances (e.g. belts, hats) which have intentionally been modified to not show a model by removing the data structures for it (this is pretty common on BG) can't be fixed by either tailor system.

What I Can Use to Make It Better
Now because of the organization of this new tailor system, we have a much-stronger ability to filter and label options by who's talking to the tailor, but I am far from having a complete set of information. What I could use from players is information about when the options in the tailor don't match what you see on your PC. So, just post here, and provide...

1. The race and gender of the PC (e.g. Dwarf Male -- unfortunately, our stout friends have a pretty-limited model set)
2. What you picked (e.g. Core/ Style/ Buttflap)
3. What you got (e.g. default pants)

I figure that with a few passes at this, we can get those lists tidied up, and players won't have to sift through mountains of garbage.

If the request is to add a model, two possible options. If you can get the model to show for your race and gender in the toolset, post here with the numbers (e.g. "Padded Armor 1 on a Half Orc Female"); if the model isn't in the toolset, your quest becomes finding one, and that gets posted in the Custom Content Thread.

If you have non-bug comments to make, please post them here:
http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... =3&t=51537
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: New Tailor is In, But Could Use Info from Players

Post by Ithildur »

Elf Male

the below listed Core styles for Clothing presets yield default/blank outfit:

13. Necromancer Robe

17. Vest and Capris
18. Manly Skirt
19. Long hooded canvas coat
20. Heavy hooded robe
21. Kelemvorite robe

23. Baggy Tunic

37. Monk outfit
38. Skimpy knight costume

41. Patterned long eastern shirt
42. patterned short eastern shirt
43. Decorated monk outfit
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Can't get belts to color using the base clothing from the store
option is there but no color changer pops up

For some reason if I exchange out my armor over the top of the newly made item its like they are both still there? Cannot change from the quick bar without it overlaying ,
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

OK, Zelk I know you have a format for comments but mine are more general. I spent about 15 min playing around with the tailor and noticed quite a few of what I believe must be bugs.

I had a male, human PC and used a "wizard's robe" item as my base for making changes.

I received a dialogue stating something like, sorry, it did not recognize that style when selecting the following variations:

studded leather
half plate

Basically, no choices for customization here. Item changed to a base cloth model.

When trying to change colors on various items, I still had to close out of the color interface to change color 1, color 2 etc

When making changes to Full Plate styles, roughly the bottom third of the styles listed in the drop down menu yielded the exact same model.

I also noticed that one of my favorite armor types -- a full plate very stylzed armor model with fancy "fluted" shoulders and gloves and like a stylized metal looking cross on the chest -- is not available in any of the different armor selections.

On a different note I do like the new format, but find some of the nomenclature a bit confusing -- I think the old "Variation" within each armor "type" is clearer. Maybe consider using that in the UI.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

oldgrayrogue wrote:When trying to change colors on various items, I still had to close out of the color interface to change color 1, color 2 etc
Haven't gotten to fixing the others on this list yet-- hopefully I'll be able to put more time into it tomorrow; but this is still expected. The thing that's new/better is that you can change a the color for a specific conversation option multiple times in the same popup-- you still have to close/re-open the popup if you want to change a different thing (that is, it used to be one popup per object/node/color, and now it's one popup per node/color across an arbitrary number of objects).

If you recall the name of the model where full plate started misbehaving, that will go a long way to helping me debug. Ithildur's post is about as useful as useful can be on the bad models front.

Thanks everyone for the info so far; hopefully I'll be able to work on some fixes tomorrow.
SCI-kick
Gelatinous Cube

Post by SCI-kick »

Seems easier to use, but less options to cutomize for armor parts and components that you want to have different colors. Also, I seem unable to change my helm colors here or the BG tailor now.

EDIT:

Nevermind . . . I figured it out.
Last edited by SCI-kick on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCI-kick
Gelatinous Cube

Post by SCI-kick »

Bad bug . . .

BG tailor Franklin Poole gave me free replicas of my armor whenever I chose to make alteration to colors.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Zelknolf wrote:
oldgrayrogue wrote:When trying to change colors on various items, I still had to close out of the color interface to change color 1, color 2 etc
Haven't gotten to fixing the others on this list yet-- hopefully I'll be able to put more time into it tomorrow; but this is still expected. The thing that's new/better is that you can change a the color for a specific conversation option multiple times in the same popup-- you still have to close/re-open the popup if you want to change a different thing (that is, it used to be one popup per object/node/color, and now it's one popup per node/color across an arbitrary number of objects).

If you recall the name of the model where full plate started misbehaving, that will go a long way to helping me debug. Ithildur's post is about as useful as useful can be on the bad models front.

Thanks everyone for the info so far; hopefully I'll be able to work on some fixes tomorrow.
I'll jot down the names and report
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

With Full Plate from #6 Cuirass Only onward on the drop down menu it is all the same model
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

SCI-kick wrote:Bad bug . . .

BG tailor Franklin Poole gave me free replicas of my armor whenever I chose to make alteration to colors.
just dump the extra copies in a fire and delete them. make sure to keep your original though... ;)
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

And was just in the weapon customizer in BG -- when I tried to change the color on a bow, instead it changed the color of my armor! might want to check those scripts!
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

All right, had a chance to look at all of these-- fortunately not as bad to fix as some would look. This all will be true with the next update, so it's not in right now, but will be soon.
13. Necromancer Robe

17. Vest and Capris
18. Manly Skirt
19. Long hooded canvas coat
20. Heavy hooded robe
21. Kelemvorite robe

23. Baggy Tunic

37. Monk outfit
38. Skimpy knight costume

41. Patterned long eastern shirt
42. patterned short eastern shirt
43. Decorated monk outfit
Filtered out; your lists should be cleaner next time we update.
Can't get belts to color using the base clothing from the store
option is there but no color changer pops up
I can't reproduce this issue. Is there more information about what's going on?
For some reason if I exchange out my armor over the top of the newly made item its like they are both still there? Cannot change from the quick bar without it overlaying ,
I can see this one; it happens when your base models are invalid; I can't fix this with the tailor, unfortunately.
I received a dialogue stating something like, sorry, it did not recognize that style when selecting the following variations:

studded leather
half plate
Seems these types are correctly empty. I've removed the option to even ask for studded leather or half plate here to avoid confusion.
When making changes to Full Plate styles, roughly the bottom third of the styles listed in the drop down menu yielded the exact same model.
Fixed.
I also noticed that one of my favorite armor types -- a full plate very stylzed armor model with fancy "fluted" shoulders and gloves and like a stylized metal looking cross on the chest -- is not available in any of the different armor selections.
Fixed by the last fix-- there's actually two of these, with and without a buffe.
Probably fixed.
And was just in the weapon customizer in BG -- when I tried to change the color on a bow, instead it changed the color of my armor! might want to check those scripts!
Probably the same fix as the previous fix.