Lead Admin election has begun

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

kid
Dungeon Master

Re: Lead Admin election has begun

Post by kid »

I am saying elections are serious business and should be taken seriously.
This is not a case of a mis-click and changing right after (which might be legitimate, and might be similar to the case you described.)
This is a case of a blank authorization to change a vote you cast, at any given time (vote in the morning change in the evening) something like that is not allowed or acknowledged as a right anywhere except here, starting at this very moment when it was invented and allowed a change in the elections outcome.

If you're not sure who you want to vote to, wait before you cast your vote, but once you have, it's over. That's one of the basic principals of any election.

The reason you sometimes enforce things more strictly is that you cannot even have them appear to be tainted. regardless if they really are or aren't (the one note in the box example is still a crime in any democratic state for a reason). That Data matters less, in a way then. Also, when the Data is people's opinion, it is ever changing.
So unless you can come up with a way to plug into our minds and check our opinions at the exact moment the election is closed.... than what decides the Data is the moment in which you cast your vote. Otherwise, who knows, maybe in the moment the elections was closed I would have changed my mind too? Seeing it was 18/16?
Hells, I was asleep at that time... but the "Data" in my mind was that I wanted to change my vote... can I do it too? Oh, I can't? So what did we go by? the UI or the data?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Also: We're not supposed to see the current score... this is not a basketball game.
I mean, that at least (Unlike the "you can change your vote at any point!" thing) was always there and known.

While you're making up proper rules for voting (that prohibit changing your vote other than in the very next moment after the vote, with an explanation that you mis-clicked) remove that too.
It makes no sense and inspires "friendly" voting that you may regret later...
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Thank you for your feedback.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

The inability to comprehend how this cannot possibly be viewed in a bad light is hilarious to me. In the end, I don't really care about the outcome because the Lead Admin spot has always felt like more of a figurehead position anyway and, god forbid, I agree with kid on something, but the justification for this not looking shady (regardless of whether it actually is or not) is pretty close to a joke.

I am glad this is the first thing I looked at this morning. ALFA reminding me that we are still ALFA makes my day.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Nobody's claiming that a fellow can't put on his tinfoil hat and insist that this was all a corrupt bargain to make shad0wfax admin.

Presumably, someone else who can get at the data (like me) who voted for Cloud (like me) would make some kind of resistance if that was so.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Well, I just got home. Changing one's vote during an active election has precedent. I recall seeing it happen a few times in the past, so no issue from my end. I also received no complaints or requests for inquiry from any members either. So, I'll go make the official announcement thread now, congratulating shadow on his election. I would lock this thread now, except I lost my moderator rights, heh. Thanks all.