Lead Admin election has begun

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

kid
Dungeon Master

Re: Lead Admin election has begun

Post by kid »

Jeez, you don't get it. I don't assume or accuse.
I honestly have no idea, and I honestly don't try to make that point.
But if you can't understand how it looks, that makes me worried.

There's a thing called the appearance of justice which is awfully lacking in this instance.
I honestly am willing to believe you it is all just coincidence, fine, that does not change how it looks.

SF was losing, you did something I never seen done before, and now he won.
Do you not get how bad this looks? Really?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

I honestly do not, no. Because I did not do anything. Rumple did. You can say you aren't accusing or assuming, yet you are. Have you looked at past elections to back up your point? You have a logic-void "gut feeling" that something is bad. Which is fine. But I don't see how anyone has to coddle it.

I allowed Rumple to do as others have done. I allowed Rumple to voice his opinion and have his voice read. He asked, publicly, to change his vote, without saying who he voted for originally. What, exactly, looks bad about that? Now, if he publicly posted "I want to go from CD to SF" and I said yes, sure, I can understand the view. If he publicly posted "I want to go from SF to CD" and I said no, I can understand the view. But you're raising drama because I chose one of the 4 possible outcomes that isn't tasteless.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I'm not raising drama, I'm expecting better judgement from my admins to say the least.
Again, you do as you see fit. And your overly defensive attitude doesn't help none.
I've never heard of a vote changed, I've never seen a vote change, I've never seen someone going down in their number of votes from 17 when I went to bed to 16 when I woke up.
This looks bad.
You don't see it, fine, you continue to conduct yourself in that manner, I wish you luck.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

And I you. I have no regrets; Rumple's rights are preserved.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

My bad.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Dammit Rumple, why you got to stir things up? :P
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

FoamBats4All wrote:Rumple's rights are preserved.
What rights?
Since when do you get the right to pull your vote out of the ballot box the moment you see surveys you don't like?
You go in the morning to vote, and that's it. If you change your mind come evening, tough.
But of course we invent a new form of conducting elections... yay us.

You look at this as one singular indecent (that by some brilliant stroke of luck served your interests...)
I look at this as an awfully wrong way to conduct an election, and a dangerous precedent.
It is far too likely to be abused, gives the reining admins far too much power to decided who will be elected (by deciding who gets or doesn't get to change his vote, when, at what elections and in what situations, without any guidelines other than their own whims) and while I don't believe this was planned in anyway, and I don't believe anyone /meant/ to cheat, I just look at the outcome, and it doesn't look good.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Thank you for voicing your concern.

Again, if anyone in position cares to do an audit, feel free. There's nothing shady going on, and while I'm perplexed at the consistent phenomenon, I am not surprised that Kid has an icky taste in his mouth.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Is it too late to change my vote?
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

The idea is that admin don't get to make that call. People have until the end of the voting cycle to voice their opinions, and it's the responsibility of the person overseeing the election (HEEGZ in this case, who is the one who actually gave approval here. Presumably. Charter says he needs to announce the results still, so there may be more conversations going on.) to represent that as accurately as possible in the outcome. In theory, refusing to take account of the most-recent information from the electorate would be tampering.

And there's always someone around with opposite interests who can verify that the claimed event actually happened. The person overseeing the election can always find 'em, usually quickly: based on our conversations, I don't think that Foam and I often vote the same way in things that are actually divided in opinions.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Again, I have to stress this out, maybe it will allow you to hear the words I am saying as something other than a personal attack, or an attempt to change the outcome.

I want/ed SF to be LA. I think he has a chance to do a good job.
He'll take it seriously and work hard at it, in my opinion, far more than the other guys would.

That still doesn't change the fact that this wasn't, isn't, and cannot be, the right way to conduct an election.7

You cannot change your vote when you feel like it. Period.
This is no such right, and there never was such a right.
Allowing (/inventing) such a right is opening a can of worms, and would be criminal in most states elections I'd imagine (And now that would be tampering).
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Zelknolf wrote:In theory, refusing to take account of the most-recent information from the electorate would be tampering.
I'm sorry... what?

Let's have a quick quiz then... which of the two is tampering with elections:

You're a ballot officer (or however you call that) and a dude asks you, right after he cast his vote to take the note out and replace it with another.

Are you tampering with the elections when you are:
A. Allowing him to change his vote?
B. Don't allow him to change his vote?

I can assure you that at least in the US and in Israel you would be charged with tampering on option A. And I would hazard a guess that that's the case in any and all democratic elections in any and all democratic countries.
How are our rules somehow backwards and it would be tampering to not allow someone to tamper with the elections?
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

In your example, the ballots are paper, and the problem is those "notes" that must be fussed with to find this fellow's.

In software, the re-cast is a simple race condition; last event to save is the vote. Nobody goes to jail. Done and done.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

No, even if the person was the first person voting, and there was no other notes in the box, and there's no doubt that that is his note... He is not allowed to reach in and replace it, and replacing it would be tampering with elections.
The electronic excuse doesn't hold, it doesn't matter. You are simply not allowed to change your vote. Period.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

vs. Man writes down a vote and walks up to the box, but says "Oh no, I scribbled the wrong thing. Can I have a different ballot?"

Shall we say "No, screw you. Put that ballot in the box."

Or are you asserting that the difference should be based on UI, and not on the data?