So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

boombrakh
Githyanki

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Post by boombrakh »

To some, this comes out of the blue and to others, they knew it was coming. ALFA has been a ride for me. It has had its ups and downs but eventually there comes a time where you have get off. Despite how people here treat eachother I don't leave on account of individuals or policy. On the contrary, I think that ALFA might be moving forward in a healthy direction if the replies in my previous thread are any indication of the future and I sincerely hope that ALFA pulls through it's recent rough patches.

To make sure that this is final I have a few requests to make from Foam as the Infra Admin. I want to use my "Right to be forgotten" and have any and all personal information related to me erased from ALFA. To clarify what counts as "Personal information", that means anything that could be connected to me as a person. This includes, but is not limited to, accounts, posts (by me and mentions of me by name or nick), ALFA behind the mask pictures, vault information (file structure, folders, characters), and anything else that could be linked to me.

Thank you for the memories and xp.

PS. I've been in contact with people who I believe might be interested in staying in touch. If you feel overlooked you can find me on twitter (<censored at poster's request>). To the rest of you, bon voyage!
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Re: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Post by Adanu »

Yep, saw it coming a mile away. I hope you find what you're looking for.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

Bah; just turn off all attachments to anything else and play the damned game.
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

"All this has happened before, and all this will happen again."

--Cylon Hybrid, Battlestar Galactica

Not to make light of Boom's recent decision to "quit" ALFA after the election drama, but ... I am gonna make light of it. Thing is, Boom and election drama have gone hand-in-hand for more than a decade. I do not even have to write anything new to satirize it - I will just lift a passage from "Lord of the ALFA: Fellowship of the Forums" that I wrote over a decade ago:

And so the party traveled ever northward until they came to the great metropolis of Waterdeep, the City of Splendors. As they entered the city a large election banner was suspended above the gates.

“BOOMBRAKH for LORD OF WATERDEEP, District 12” the sign read.

As they walked through the gate a team of beer-bellied men climbed up the wall and tore the sign down.

“Why are you doing that?” Asked Sir Kalbar.

“Ah dis fella here, he pulled outta da election.” Answered the worker. The man shrugged. “That's politics in da Deep.”

“Da Deep.” Echoed the other workers, nodding in agreement.

The fellowship entered the city and immediately M'kayla and Ava set about trying to find the best shopping. As they were right at the gates, someone suggested the Wall-mart but the deadly look from the two cleavage-bearing women said all that needed to be said about Wall-mart.

Unfortunately, this was da Deep, and in the da Deep, trouble abounds and often finds the unwary before they find the best bargains on the latest fashions. A cart rolled up along side the fellowship and slowed to a walking pace. A fellow in pin-striped leather armor holding a repeating-crossbow jauntily in one hand rode on the running boards.

“Ah, da boss wants a sit down with youse guys.” Said the fellow on the cart. “An' da boss don't take 'no' fer an answer, if you get my drift.”

“Who is your boss?” Asked the ever-practical Sergeant Pelham.

“My boss? Da boss of bosses dats who. The Oddfather. Don Evro.”

A hush fell over the fellowship. Who among them had not heard of the infamous gangster Don Evro? Leader of the treacherous SoBs, Don Evro had a ruthless reputation as a thief, racketeer, and assassin. He was known to be a man of few words but apparently this day, he wanted words with them. What treachery, what crime, what evil lay in store for the fellowship? Would they be bolted down in a cart-by shooting? Would they be poisoned? Would they soon be sleeping-with-the-dragon-turtles?

Frankly, the men in the fellowship did not care.

Whatever Don Evro had planned for the fellowship could not be nearly as bad as having to accompany M'kayla and Ava shopping. The men perked up and in unison shouted. “OK, we're there!”

All except Sir Kalbar that is, who secretly wanted to try out the new swim-wear lines.

Just then the party noticed some workers putting up a sign. “BOOMER for Lord of Waterdeep, District 12.”

“He dropped out of the race.” Offered Sir Kalbar, ever-ready to correct others.

“He dropped back in,” said the workers, ever-ready to put shiny-good-for-nothin'-paladins back in their place.

And so it goes. :)
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Will miss having you around Boom, keep in touch.

Mikayla, out of nowhere with the relevant story, nice! :lol:

As for DMA election, I'll leave it to the new LA to start up as soon as they are elected. I don't want to have two of them running simultaneously.
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

Dammit, I just moved back to Sweden! Who's now going to be in my timezone that I can hang out with? Bad Alfa.
"[T]he dwarvern people, are machine-like, and it is impossible to reason with a machine." - Susana
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

The curse of the DMA strikes again.

Woe be unto him/her who assumes the mantle of madness.

Good guy, that Boom. Heart in the right place.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

boombrakh wrote:[...]have [...] accounts, posts (by me and mentions of me by name or nick), ALFA behind the mask pictures, vault information (file structure, folders, characters), and anything else that could be linked to me [erased].
I think that's probably beyond the scope of reasonably possible with our system.
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

Since I am weighing in on things ...

Boom (underlining added by me):
To clarify what counts as "Personal information", that means anything that could be connected to me as a person. This includes, but is not limited to, accounts, posts (by me and mentions of me by name or nick), ALFA behind the mask pictures, vault information (file structure, folders, characters), and anything else that could be linked to me.

A request to remove 12+ years of your posts and any mentions of you in other people's posts is ... well ... ludicrous. This is not a purely public forum (you have to be a member to see most of it) but it sure is not purely private either. You post here at your own risk. We have rules about reposting from non-private forums (like from the Admin only forum, or the DM only forum) and from PMs, but there is no "right to be forgotten" that compels the Admin to erase all your thousands of posts over the last decade and go hunting through everyone else's posts searching for your name to erase that too. Now, in this case, I am assuming Boom is just trolling us - I am making this statement just to make sure no one else thinks they have such a right. You post here? That's on you. You want it erased? You have the power to go back and erase it yourself, and you are more than welcome to - but no one is obligated to do it for you.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Looks like this will bring up a list of all one's posts (regretted or not).

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/sea ... =egosearch

From there it's just a few (hundreds) of clicks to make it all go away.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Mikayla wrote:Now, in this case, I am assuming Boom is just trolling us - I am making this statement just to make sure no one else thinks they have such a right. You post here? That's on you. You want it erased? You have the power to go back and erase it yourself, and you are more than welcome to - but no one is obligated to do it for you.
Well, the Right to be Forgotten is a genuine thing in the EU, but from my reading of it (IANAL) it is mostly related to asking search engines to remove search results. It doesn't actually require websites themselves to directly remove the content. In the end, for the vast majority of people, if they can't find it on google it ceases to exist.
Rumple C wrote:Looks like this will bring up a list of all one's posts (regretted or not).

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/sea ... =egosearch
Thanks for the link for entirely other reasons. Forgot some of the stories from the old NC days are still buried in the back of the library forum.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

My first -remaining- post was a bug report. The next was a compliment to an awesome wee poem written by ogre grim.

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... =6&t=20278

It's pretty awesome. Oh the players of quality who have moved on.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Make a dude on BG, someone you like, and we can play a little, until I kill him.
I got a bit of creativity going these days.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Tempting, but busy, also I don't think i'm suited to the current culture in BG. TSM might be a better fit.

Thanks for the offer though, kid.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Rumple C wrote:Tempting, but busy, also I don't think i'm suited to the current culture in BG. TSM might be a better fit.

Thanks for the offer though, kid.
Understandable. Well, TSM is fun to play it at the moment, mellower, more RP focused, slower progression.
Hell, i'm there.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea