Tailor Outfits

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Tailor Outfits

Post by Zelknolf »

Heya everyone, a thing I'm working on that could use extra input for:

For a long time, the back end of our tailoring system has been xp_craft. It gets the job done, but we've wanted off of it for a number of technical reasons for a while. So I'm writing the front end on a new one to go with the back end that I wrote... eh... back before we got the auto pricer? It's been a while, but I'm trying to reduce the list of features looking for an implementation; I'd rather just have "features."

Now, part of this transition is two perks. One is to indicate "base" and "accent" colors on an outfit and have every armor piece updated with it; nobody has to do anything for that. That just works.

The other perk is the concept of "outfit" selections, which is a series of models (helmet, belt, gloves, cloak, boots, base, accessories) that go together-- like the full plate that is in fact a breastplate and twelve accessories, or the dresses that are in fact a leotard and a belt. Right now I've only written in one of these per armor type, and everyone's probably sick of seeing them-- because these outfits also drive random loot (notice how the "Wizard Robes" don't actually look very wizardly, and seem to be recolorations of the same outfit? ... yeah...)

So what I could use from ALFAns generally is...
1) What combinations of models go together often enough that it would make sense to provide these as presets and we'd be OK with appearing among random loot. Particularly in the realm of men's clothing; I tend to get the feedback that I have no idea how to man-fashion.
2) What should we call them when we write them out on a list? If the styles/clothes have an actual name, we'd ideally use those, but something descriptive would be enough to work with.
Rumple C
Bard

Re: Tailor Outfits

Post by Rumple C »

Zelknolf wrote:1) Particularly in the realm of men's clothing; I tend to get the feedback that I have no idea how to man-fashion.
Pantaloons is where it's at. With option for extra manly bulge via sock stuffing.

Pantaloons of a quality heretofore unseen by the eyes of either man or beast. Dynamic styling and comfort that cradles, cuddles and coddles. Seduce your thighs, cajole your calves; enjoy Golden Pantaloons... TODAY!

Trousers you would be proud to take home to mother, if mother rode fast and fought hard.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Is this a modification to the armor customizer via the tailor? Or something else?
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Clothing and armor both; I'm looking to build a more-robust set of presets for the lot.

Could hypothetically filter it by crafter type; "Oh, I see the armor rules type on that chest item is not 0. You should see an armorer about making that pretty." -- but that's a single condition at the start of the conversation, which I wouldn't need to write now. It'd be a trivial change to make later if a server found it important.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking/what you want to make.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

All right... so two examples

We have "belt dresses" -- these are female-only garments that often appear with a collection of models together, because that's just how they look good/they were meant to be used. So, Cloth torso model 184 (the "leotard") + cloth gloves model 49 ("no hands") + cloth boots model 49 ("no feet") + cloth belt 184 ("rune-covered double slit dress") = an outfit.

Similarly, shoulder / elbow / knee / arm / leg / hips model 210 are an obvious set, and we often use them together to represent plate armor.

I guess I'm overall not being super clear about what shape this would be in to be useful to me, so how's this...

Code: Select all

ArmorVariation = 
ArmorVisualType =

BeltVariation = 
BeltVisualType = 

BootsVariation = 
BootsVisualType =

CloakVariation = 
CloakVisualType = 

GlovesVariation = 
GlovesVisualType =

HelmetVariation = 
HelmetVisualType =

BackHip = 
FrontHip = 
LeftAnkle = 
LeftArm = 
LeftBracer = 
LeftElbow = 
LeftFoot = 
LeftHip = 
LeftKnee = 
LeftLeg = 
LeftShin = 
LeftShoulder = 
RightAnkle = 
RightArm = 
RightBracer = 
RightElbow = 
RightFoot = 
RightHip = 
RightKnee = 
RightLeg =  
RightShin =  
RightShoulder = 
Put numbers and type names in (I can turn "cloth" into 0 and "scale" into 5; you don't need to look that up) in a pattern that makes a whole ensemble; say what you think it should be called and what kind of armor it would serve as.

Also if it only works for one gender (like awesome fur cloaks are male only, or leotard belt dresses are female only), helpful to note that.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Folk seem to not be grasping the concept here-- probably because we've spent so long on the old tailor systems.

So, the new tailor system can do this--
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/307 ... -13-15.avi

And I need outfits to use for more conversation options.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Seems like this would definitely be an upgrade to the interface but not really alter any actual content. I personally don't see this as a very high priority given that the existing interface, while in some ways difficult to work with, does work (especially once the rather silly charging 1gp for every minor change is removed as is the case on 2 of our servers) well enough for an activity that's probably done mostly during 'down time'.
Last edited by Ithildur on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

The old system can dupe items and has needless overhead. I don't think it's a really low priority.

I'll see what I can come up with. Definitely some outfits just go together -- the female dresses with matching belt/armor models, for example.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I don't have any useful tailoring input.
So... enjoy and good luck!
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

If we have the ability to add things...

http://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn ... robes-pack

For consideration.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon