Dead Horse: Starting at level 2

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Dead Horse: Starting at level 2

Post by Ithildur »

Eh... I do know I'd vastly prefer someone getting permission for lvl 2 start for a concept that works better with multiclassing vs someone speed grinding to lvl 2 so they can say "I are a warrior mage/stealthy fighter/singing swordsman and ... uh, actually I have been for some time, I was just really really rusty the past few weeks with one part of my skillset".
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

The for is always circular logic. The fact is, 2 won't be enough. Given time it will be "why can't we start at 3, 5, 10"? That is logic based on historical evidence located within these very forums, and the fact of human nature.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

My thoughts run in a similar vein as Maxcell's. However, as always, I am more than willing to step aside if the majority wishes such, as long as level 1 is kept as an option.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Instead of a level 2 start, we could simply bump up the bio XP award to a maximum of 1000xp instead of the current 250xp. That way DMs and players have a bit of leeway on how long a person spends getting to level 2. Those that prefer a faster track and turn in a bio and get a maximum award from a DM team that supports this. Those that want the slower more traditional approach can carry on as normal. There is really no need to create a separate level 2 start ruling, when we can simply make an adjustment to an existing rule. Hell, we could even set the maximum cap at 3000xp...
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

The game is still best played with a DM. Cant see how itd change anything for anyone that really wants to play a character while having an adventure or three so neither for nor against. Level doesnt matter, or so Ive been told.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

Maybe someone can put up a vote on how people feel about this? I personally like the idea of increasing the XP for submitting a Bio and/or setting up an approval process to start at level 2 with perhaps deducting xp for a set time afterwards.
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

start at two, deduct the first 1000 xp sounds fair.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Suppose I wouldn't mind that too much.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

danielmn wrote:start at two, deduct the first 1000 xp sounds fair.
I'd sign on for this.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

oldgrayrogue wrote:
danielmn wrote:start at two, deduct the first 1000 xp sounds fair.
I'd sign on for this.
I bet you folks would tavern RP, and adventure RP more and do less mail runs.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

I don't feel particularly strongly about this issue. However, I do believe that if you raise the starting level to two, then Level 2 becomes the new Level 1. I honestly do not think it will change much. Our game is pretty low lethality as it is.

Personally, I think that the best option is what HEEGZ suggests. Give better xp rewards for PC biographies. This will encourage people to become invested in their PCs their stories from the beginning and will get them to level 2 faster. In addition, a well fleshed-out bio gives a DM more with which to work.

Again, though, I don't feel strongly either way.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

boombrakh wrote:Sadly, it all feels like grinding anyways. I mean, all you want to do is get to that level 2 so that you havn't really wasted a well thought through character concept on a crit from a house cat.
So if you have a super character you really, really want to play, you either a) dont really tell anyone so if you do die at level 1, you can basically create the same character once again or b) play it super safe. Wait for DMs, wait for other characters to help etc etc.

If you are dead set on a character concept, you should probably be playing it safe even at level 2 or 3 for the same reason.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

Swift wrote:
boombrakh wrote:Sadly, it all feels like grinding anyways. I mean, all you want to do is get to that level 2 so that you havn't really wasted a well thought through character concept on a crit from a house cat.
So if you have a super character you really, really want to play, you either a) dont really tell anyone so if you do die at level 1, you can basically create the same character once again or b) play it super safe. Wait for DMs, wait for other characters to help etc etc.

If you are dead set on a character concept, you should probably be playing it safe even at level 2 or 3 for the same reason.
I guess it is just a personal preference then. When a concept of mine dies, it feels cheap to do the same thing again.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

If you're dead set on the character concept, you never get to stop playing it safe. The dead level 1 is super common because there are a lot of level 1s, some proportion of which die. And you can usually count the level 10+ PCs in play without taking your socks off. So when a Garlus or Laniara dies, we remember names and circumstances and treat them as unique (but we keep having a couple of those a year; when you're in a pool of less than 10, "a couple" is pretty dangerous).
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

I've taken opinions and arguments into consideration on the issue and while I wouldn't mind starting at level 2 being a thing in ALFA, I also don't think starting at level 1 is such a bad thing.

Horse stays dead.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.