A Brief Reminder on the Contents of the Charter

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Arianna
Tech Admin

Re: A Brief Reminder on the Contents of the Charter

Post by Arianna »

FoamBats4All wrote:
kid wrote:If that's for my benefit, I said nothing about quitting over outcome. I don't care who wins.
Just said i'll will quit if we play where we DM.
Yeah, no shit. You wouldn't be the only one.

Agreed
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Pretty strong feelings on this one apparently, not surprising and understandable. I wouldn't have threatened to quit, but share the view that this probably isn't a good idea, but simply wonder if it's something that might someday be on the table to seriously discuss on a limited basis. Maybe not yet, or maybe not ever.

Irony here of course is that similarly strong reactions were heard from some when the idea of 2 PCs was proposed as well.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

No, the irony is that even though it was felt that the two pc ruling would be accepted amongst most Alfans, it was thoroughly discussed among the Administration, and a community poll was issued to gauge wether the community as a whole did in fact want to move in that direction...whereas I have serious doubts that the majority of the community now would support a dm where you play move, but I see no polls to verify, nor do I see hopefull-elects citing that they would discuss the issue with the rest of the Administration, but instead seeming as if they have full power to make it so, which is not the case, as Zelk points out, since it does cross into the Player Admin domain as well.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

danielmn wrote:No, the irony is that even though it was felt that the two pc ruling would be accepted amongst most Alfans, it was thoroughly discussed among the Administration, and a community poll was issued to gauge wether the community as a whole did in fact want to move in that direction...whereas I have serious doubts that the majority of the community now would support a dm where you play move, but I see no polls to verify, nor do I see hopefull-elects citing that they would discuss the issue with the rest of the Administration, but instead seeming as if they have full power to make it so, which is not the case, as Zelk points out, since it does cross into the Player Admin domain as well.
So make a poll.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

No longer my perveiw, nor do I myself have clearance or authorization for such.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

danielmn wrote:No longer my perveiw, nor do I myself have clearance or authorization for such.
It's a community, you can make whatever threads you want.

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... =3&t=51423
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

In other words, I don't have the required access to make a poll post. I can submit regular posts only. ;P Just as I can't make an announcement thread, ect ect. And I certainly need not be reminded that this is a community. Was merely making you aware that I can post polls.
Last edited by danielmn on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Ithildur wrote:Pretty strong feelings on this one apparently, not surprising and understandable. I wouldn't have threatened to quit, but share the view that this probably isn't a good idea, but simply wonder if it's something that might someday be on the table to seriously discuss on a limited basis. Maybe not yet, or maybe not ever.

Irony here of course is that similarly strong reactions were heard from some when the idea of 2 PCs was proposed as well.
Two PCs is an entirely optional thing, whereas this is an all or nothing prospect. it's an apples and oranges comparison. The only similarity being it's an idea for change.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

danielmn wrote:In other words, I don't have the required access to make a poll post. I can submit regular posts only. ;P Just as I can't make an announcement thread, ect ect. And I certainly need not be reminded that this is a community. Was merely making you aware that I can post polls.
Oh, huh. That's a problem. phpBB3 permissions suck. When we do the upcoming migration I'll enable it so anyone can make polls.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Thanks for making the poll for us, Foam! :)

Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

Obviously if the support isn't there among the other admin or ALFA as a whole it's not going to go anywhere. I think anyone would agree with that
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Can't compare the two.
Can't remember if I liked it or not (probably not) but it wasn't a big deal as it was equal between all ALFA members, and optional (or at least the concept was).

If you suggest everyone gets DM privileges while everybody plays on the same server that would likely be less troubling to me, still not something i'd choose but meh.

However as it is suggested, I just can't swallow it. I just never want to play with/against my immediate DM and would rather not play than to be in that situation where I have that constant thing hanging above every RP choice I make.

(Only one of many problems, but personally that's the one that would bug me the most).
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Adanu wrote:Two PCs is an entirely optional thing, whereas this is an all or nothing prospect. it's an apples and oranges comparison. The only similarity being it's an idea for change.
How is it all or nothing? As a DM, you would have the choice about whether to play where you DM. As a player, you would retain the choice you have always had about who you play with, so if you were so vehemently opposed to the idea, you simply choose not to play with people who do it.

I fail to see how it is any less opt out than 2 PCs.
Analogkid wrote:Obviously if the support isn't there among the other admin or ALFA as a whole it's not going to go anywhere. I think anyone would agree with that
As I have previously stated, it took years upon years for the idea of 2 PCs to get support to the point that it stopped being a pie in the sky dream of some players.
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Swift wrote:
Adanu wrote:Two PCs is an entirely optional thing, whereas this is an all or nothing prospect. it's an apples and oranges comparison. The only similarity being it's an idea for change.
How is it all or nothing? As a DM, you would have the choice about whether to play where you DM. As a player, you would retain the choice you have always had about who you play with, so if you were so vehemently opposed to the idea, you simply choose not to play with people who do it.

I fail to see how it is any less opt out than 2 PCs.
Two PCs is a personal choice. DMing where you play is a knowledge, player, and meta choice.

If you cannot understand this, you won't be able to see my problems with it.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Adanu wrote:Two PCs is a personal choice. DMing where you play is a knowledge, player, and meta choice.
Knowledge that could actually affect your decision making is already a meta choice, since anybody can download a copy of any mod and rifle through it for its secrets.

Former DMs could easily retain as much meta information from the DM forums as they wish to use and abuse and yet that does not seem to concern any one.

Lastly, we have had rules for as long as ALFA has been around regarding metagaming and cheating. Were you to do so, you should absolutely get your ass kicked out of ALFA. As always, we seem to be reluctant to actually use the rules that we have (or perhaps just reluctant to enforce them) if it means we lose someone from an already small player base.