A Brief Reminder on the Contents of the Charter

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

boombrakh
Githyanki

Re: A Brief Reminder on the Contents of the Charter

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

"My friend..." could you be less genuine and more greasy please?
I need something to butter my toast with.

Also: It seems that while people wouldn't mind seeing you as DMA, at the moment at least, they don't seem to like the idea of DMing where they play.

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... =3&t=51423

I guess all of them suffer from bruised egos and twisted views of the world, while you, you flawless perfect human being (...) just know what's best for all of them.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

People are discussing stuff vs merely looking at the DMA elections, shrugging and moving on.

Mission accomplished.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Swift wrote:
Adanu wrote:Two PCs is a personal choice. DMing where you play is a knowledge, player, and meta choice.
Knowledge that could actually affect your decision making is already a meta choice, since anybody can download a copy of any mod and rifle through it for its secrets.

Former DMs could easily retain as much meta information from the DM forums as they wish to use and abuse and yet that does not seem to concern any one.

Lastly, we have had rules for as long as ALFA has been around regarding metagaming and cheating. Were you to do so, you should absolutely get your ass kicked out of ALFA. As always, we seem to be reluctant to actually use the rules that we have (or perhaps just reluctant to enforce them) if it means we lose someone from an already small player base.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

kid wrote:"My friend..." could you be less genuine and more greasy please?
I need something to butter my toast with.

Also: It seems that while people wouldn't mind seeing you as DMA, at the moment at least, they don't seem to like the idea of DMing where they play.

http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... =3&t=51423

I guess all of them suffer from bruised egos and twisted views of the world, while you, you flawless perfect human being (...) just know what's best for all of them.
In all fairness, it is very clear that the poll was very hastily put together. The wording of questions can be manipulated to produce a desired outcome and while I am not saying that is the case here, it is certainly not worded in a neutral way.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Can't see how the wording matters, people know what the debate is about.
If they want to sway it towards either way they know how to vote.
We're not talking about the uninformed masses here.

but either way, if you feel it's somehow swayed, open another asking if it's a bad idea?
Or "are you pro/con the idea?"
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

boombrakh wrote:Now, unless I am gravely mistaken in what I have found, there is nothing stopping a DM Admin from implementing and approving (and thereby changing) a rule that allows DMs to play where they also DM.
As I'd noted earlier, such a rule change would only alter the rules on how DMs may behave when acting as DMs inside of ALFA; you would need the PA to also make a rule dictating how players may behave when acting as players inside of ALFA. The DMA has no authority over DMs, and cannot change the rules governing them, when they're playing regular PCs.

Our current PA has explicitly and clearly stated that DMs may not play where they DM (I believe the exact words were 'no, never'). They're effectively server banned from the servers where they DM (a power that is PA power, as people often forget, HDMs also wield it, within some limits, because the PA allows it). The new DMA won't be able to change that.
boombrakh wrote:When ending a post with hearsay, she risks maliciously applying a negative value on the election, the debate, and most of all the candidates. Seeing as how uncharacteristic this is for her, I would suggest you excercise caution in reading what is posted.
Generic statements like that are handy because they can mean different things to different people; was hoping that most people would disregard it as typically-grumpy teams being grumpy, and our candidates (who have specific experiences to draw on) would get the references that apply to them. But now that I'm being challenged on the statement: you, specifically, have to rebuild faith after a history of corruption and your policy changes would, if implemented, cause a chain of valuable members quitting until ALFA can't keep its servers up any more. This is not hearsay; the IA has directly said that he will quit if DMs play where they DM. It's not a very difficult chain to follow from there-- who would leave if Foam wasn't here, and then who would leave if all of those people weren't here, and so on. It won't be a perfect picture of the fallout, but you'd get an idea of how much damage it does to the community.

Managing volunteers is difficult like this, but such is why I provide warnings. ALFA only actually tangibly works because a few talented people want it to, and part of that means that the other admin at least have to keep those people from getting so angry that they stop helping.

So the advice I had hoped you would take from this-- reel in those promises; make small, sustainable steps; try to build bridges with the actual talent here (specifically, you want to try to build a kind of relational capital that can be tapped for favors later); try to also build bridges with backups if the current talent snaps and leaves. That would apply to anyone (again, value of generic statements), but for your position specifically, I'd suggest that you make sure you don't personally benefit in any way from any DMA policy changes, and delegate decisions where it's unavoidable, until faith is restored.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Alas, I was talking to three people, not just you. Reading whole posts is very nice like that.

It does indeed seem that the PA's official "never" is in the Admin Only forum, though; so I guess that comes up in a few days. And of course, the documentation of your brazen corruption remains sealed by IA ruling-- this came up the last time you ran for admin, too. You can keep insisting that the reality is an absence of proof, but... surely one of the other admin would've responded to my public request to unseal it by asking what things I was trying to unseal?

But this is already irrelevant; you view the loss of tech and infra as acceptable-- and you'll probably be able to achieve that loss. I can only hope that folk voting in the runoffs consider your cavalier attitude and weigh it when voting.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
pragmatic (adj.)
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

boombrakh wrote:When it comes to the mass exodus of people who will leave in protest then in all honesty, let them leave. Giving ultimatums in order to force an agenda is as childish as it gets and on that ground alone deserves to be tested.
So people having opinions of their own that don't agree with yours is now childish?

Good to know.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Speaking of forced will....do you have any comment on the poll that shows 3/4 of alfa are actually against the proposition, Boom?
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
pragmatic (adj.)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

boombrakh wrote:No, I do not view that as acceptable. But I view the loss of people who use coercion and manipulation to strongarm people as completely acceptable. If you want to count yourself among those people then to be frank, I believe the community is better off without you. Because if this is how you want things done, then this is just the tip of the ice berg. Should people be allowed to forcefully impose their will on others, then they will do so again. It is a clear pattern of abuse and a lot more dangerous for this community than DMs being allowed to play where they DM. Those of us who has been around since before your "grace days" know that this is far from the first time you've forced your will on others under the threat of consequence. I had just hoped that it was something that stopped when you launched Zelk 2.0
The "threat of consequence" never went away. This is a simple statement of reality-- if ALFA becomes inhospitable to me, I will leave. I'm sure that anyone will say the thing, with the variable being what constitutes "inhospitable." You can wax poetic about duty to this community that doesn't pay me (probably can't afford to; software developers are expensive), doesn't treat me particularly well, and only provides me with DM attention for a couple weeks a couple times a year, but that doesn't change the circumstance from my end. There's barely enough to keep me here right now, and having a good friend leave would be enough to make me also leave.

Now, the alternative to that is saying nothing and just leaving. That's also an option, and if ALFA thinks that's better, then it probably is. I choose to say something first.
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

boombrakh wrote:
Adanu wrote:
boombrakh wrote:When it comes to the mass exodus of people who will leave in protest then in all honesty, let them leave. Giving ultimatums in order to force an agenda is as childish as it gets and on that ground alone deserves to be tested.
So people having opinions of their own that don't agree with yours is now childish?
Good to know.
You are really trying, aren't you? I mean, you have to be really trying if that is what you take away from "Giving ultimatums in order to force an agenda in as childish as it gets". :roll:
How about this.

If you attempt to force your extreme agenda down my throat, I will leave with the rest of them.