A Brief Reminder on the Contents of the Charter

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: A Brief Reminder on the Contents of the Charter

Post by Ithildur »

I was completely joking about taking back my vote (and voting for Wynna), but now I'm not so sure.

*scratches his head, walks away from thread*
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

boombrakh wrote:So far people spend more time threatening to quit and flat out saying "Nuh-uh!" than engaging in the discussion i've asked for.
You've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt to me you're less interested in discussion than you are in telling us we're wrong because you're right, full stop.

If you want to start proving otherwise, I suggest you start with a less confrontational attitude and more actual reaching out. Your track record says you won't, though. If you're willing to be reasonable, prove it, and I will listen.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

kid wrote:But if we are that, the only reason we are, are the restrictions we impose upon ourselves and the higher standard we hold ourselves to. It's not that we are inherently superior to players from other servers.
This, once again. Being incorruptible does not hinge on some superhuman immunity to corruption, but on acknowledging its potential dangers and subversive potency, and thus avoiding situations that create it. It's the cake-having and cake-eating thing of human nature: I would trust kid with this not because he would not abuse it in the situation... but because he would not enter the situation.

But even the extreme and polarising argument of potential corruption aside, all the subtle (conscious or subconscious) alterations to interaction would have a detrimental effect on our atmosphere and environment. It's the same phenomenon again, let's formulate it negatively this time - people who think they would not be affected by knowledge of their co-player also being a DM are people you would not want to put in that situation.

0.02€,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

Veilan:
This, once again. Being incorruptible does not hinge on some superhuman immunity to corruption, but on acknowledging its potential dangers and subversive potency, and thus avoiding situations that create it. It's the cake-having and cake-eating thing of human nature: I would trust kid with this not because he would not abuse it in the situation... but because he would not enter the situation.

But even the extreme and polarising argument of potential corruption aside, all the subtle (conscious or subconscious) alterations to interaction would have a detrimental effect on our atmosphere and environment. It's the same phenomenon again, let's formulate it negatively this time - people who think they would not be affected by knowledge of their co-player also being a DM are people you would not want to put in that situation.
Beautifully stated. And yes, I know, I am engaging in thread necromancy, but geez, I've been gone a minute, 'k? :)
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Mikayla wrote:Beautifully stated. And yes, I know, I am engaging in thread necromancy, but geez, I've been gone a minute, 'k? :)
When I saw your name as the last post I thought "Charter discussion + Mikayla = :D" and I was so ready to hop into the thread and scream "YOU ALL GOT MIKAYLA'D, BITCHES!".

Imagine my disappointment. Welcome back too :P
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Ah…good old ALFA. May another old voice (polite nod to Wynner the Pooh) from another time offer a thought? I too had a hand in that charter, whatever that’s worth. It’s just a game, and one without opponents.

Back in the day when D&D involved books, dice, and basements littered with empty Mountain Dew cans, DM’s often purchased modules from book stores. They had great detail, maps, and were well thought out, saving DM’s lots of time in the creation process. As a player, I *could* have run down to the book store and sneaked a peek at the module to learn all the secrets, but I never did. Half the fun of D&D is the discovery process…finding the hidden treasure, avoiding the trap around the next corner, etc. When you buy a mystery novel do you skip to the last chapter to see who did it? Of course not, what would be the point of reading the book then?

If someone cheats at solitaire, who loses? Did you guys start handing out monetary prizes for fasting leveling PC when I wasn’t looking? If not, then if someone meta-games to their advantage, then they are robbing themselves of the chance to enjoy good adventure. Who cares enough about that happening to build in all kinds of rules to try to prevent someone from cheating themselves? You want to game? Game on, then! Don’t worry about what the next gamer is doing….it doesn’t really effect you.

Keep your eye on the big picture, folks. It’s just a game. Enjoy the ride.

*p.s. Wynna is a role playing purist. She loves the immersion, which is perhaps why she is good at her day job. I am an old school gamer who always argued that the facts kept getting in the way of a good story. On this issue we respectfully depart. However she is sharp as a tack, passionate, and full of good character. If you think you can get her to actually be involved again, God bless you, grab her while you can. However I suspect that she remains a victim of the same affliction I have: real life does not lend itself to a hobby this time consuming.

**p.p.s She still owes me a chapter to follow the kiss....never did get to hear how that all came out.

***p.p.p.s get her involved and you might get me.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Not a charter anything, but after the last line I must say...

There's a Wynna game tomorrow, don't know who you are but you'd be most welcomed to join in the fun! :D
Wynna wrote:The Lady's College session is currently scheduled for noon PST on Saturday, same as last week. Please post availability. New players welcome. Just make it IC.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Wynna
Dungeon Master

Post by Wynna »

Quack. I shall expect you ingame this weekend. Wear your best feathers. Shine your beak. I shall endeavor to avoid all puns on 'Dead Ducks' if RL gets in the way.
Enjoy the game
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

I will try to be there. Maybe they will let me take a break from all this work crap.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Duck One wrote:When you buy a mystery novel do you skip to the last chapter to see who did it? Of course not, what would be the point of reading the book then?
Total tangent, but I have a friend who reads a huge amount and the first thing she does when she gets a new book is read the last page.
***p.p.p.s get her involved and you might get me.
She is back and building/DMing on TSM.
Duck One
Orc Champion

Post by Duck One »

Quack. I shall expect you ingame this weekend. Wear your best feathers. Shine your beak. I shall endeavor to avoid all puns on 'Dead Ducks' if RL gets in the way.
Alas my best feathers are showing signs of gray. And since when did attending one of your sessions involve getting all dolled up? I seem to recall it was largely a come-as-you-are affair when I ran the show. Last weekend I was coaching a soccer team to defeat in an all day tournament. This weekend I shall be helping my oldest celebrate her graduation (she used to sit on my knee while DMing when Wynna the PC was doing her best to catch Melgoloso loose in the city.) Indeed the next 6 Saturdays see only one free day. Such is the life of a father/husband/coach/handiman. My gaming typically comes in 1-2 hour blocks in fits and starts, and needs to be low investment as a result.
Duck One

Some guy who used to do some work 'round here.