NWN1 Hak Updates

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

NWN1 Hak Updates

Post by Zelknolf »

*clears throat* So, it's been forever and a half since there have been any hak updates for NWN1 that didn't involve an effort to run the hak updater. Sorry to say, the hak updater is dead, so we're doing it the old fashioned way, and I intend to use this post to let everyone know what's changed, so no one's in the dark when things start behaving differently in game.

New Hak Files and Updating
Only two hak files have been updated:
ahp_3.0_2da.hak (now 23,603,321 bytes)
ahp_3.0_items2.hak (now 213,293,167 bytes)

And there is a new talk table:
alfa_1_5.tlk (~278 k)

There are also four files that had difficulties with version control. Check these four hak files sizes to make sure you have the appropriate ones:
ahp_3.0_create.hak.(approx. 501,272k)
ahp_3.0_creat2.hak.(approx. 391,501k)
ahp_3.0_tile3.hak..(approx. 142,263k)
ahp_3.0_tile5.hak..(approx. 200,665k)

There seems to be rare cases of instability if you have the smaller, older versions of these haks, but it shouldn't be catastrophic.

Anyone seeking to update may do so in one of two ways:
1: Simply go to one of the mirrors and redownload the two haks.
2: If the haks being updated are ahp_3.0_2da.hak or ahp_3.0_items2.hak (this release), there is a compressed file on the mirrors named "ALFA Update, August 2007". It is a smaller download, and haks can be updated by downloading it, opening the haks above in nwhak.exe (in c:/Neverwinter Nights/NWN/utils/ on most machines), and simply selecting all of the resources in the folder with a name matching the hak, dragging them onto nwnhak.exe's window, and click "yes" for every resource it asks to overwrite.
---- (There should be no overwritten resources in ahp_3.0_items2.hak, and so many in ahp_3.0_2da.hak that you'd be best served just holding down the "Y" key until it stops asking.)

Also, while I would call it wise to download whenever you get the chance, be sure not to actually overwrite your current haks until after your server has updated.

Updating Server-Side
Once the mod is loaded in the toolset on a computer with the new haks...
Compile your module's OnClientEnter script.
Compile your module's OnPlayerDeath script.
Set alfa_1_5.tlk as the module's talk table.

Also, the "Additional Animations Added" lever is made obsolete with this update, and they may be removed at the builders' leisure.

Spanking New Radial Menu Option: Mobility Scripts

There is a new radial menu option added under class abilities: maneuvers, and four blank ones in the same spot. The currently-enabled option is a script to account for a PCs mobility in response to limitations of tiles.

Here's how it works:
You use the power on a piece of ground. (I would reccomend quickbar-ing the command, as right-clicking to a buried radial command is quite frustrating).
If your PC has the ability to fly (through, for example, a spell like fly), and he/she has room to (outdoors, or in an area with a waypoint tagged to mark the area as having enough room to fly in) he/she will fly to the new spot.
If your PC cannot fly for whatever reason, but it is within jumping range (determined by the PC's movement speed, current armor/encumberance, and ranks in jump) he/she will jump there.
If your PC cannot jump, but the difference on the Z axis is small and one could feasibly flop the distance onto the new ground, he/she will do so (gracelessly).
If your PC cannot jump and the difference on the Z axis is too large for a flopping, your PC will attempt to climb the distance, success determined by the PC's climb skill, and rate of travel by armor, encumberance, and movement speed.
If your PC cannot fly, jump, or climb the distance, you will be given a server message to the effect.

*note - in order to use this, you will need to re-use the "Additional Animations Added" lever.

Spell and Class Ability Changes

Additions
Alter Self - As a level 2 transmutation has been added to the haks, and has scripts, which are calibrated on the emote ball, to run the shapechanging.
Disguise Self - As a level 1 illusion has been appropriately renamed "Disguise Self" (it was "Alter Self"). It also grants a will save to anyone who approaches within conversational distance, sends messages to successful PCs/possessing DMs and alerts the DM channel if an unpossessed NPC notices. It goes without saying that expecting to fool more than a couple people with an illusion is silly, no matter how high the DC is.
--- It should be noted that this does not overturn the ALFA policy that disguises and fooling people with them are to be done with a DM. This spell facilitates such by streamlining saves and giving a visual representation of the duration of the spell. Casting the spell tells the PC as much in the server window, as well.

Fixes and Moves Toward 3.5 Rules
Dispel Magic - Is no longer hostile. You needn't worry about countering harmful spells for NPCs now. It will not bork factions.
Identify - It works now. It didn't before. It doesn't always look like it has worked immediately after casting, but examining the item should correct the display, and make the item look identified.
Neutralize Poison - Now provides immunity to poison for 10 minutes/level, and no longer removes ability score damage.
Protection From Alignment - Has a number of changes.
*The deflection bonus to AC and the saving throw bonuses are now alignment-specific (and, correctly, do not appear on the character sheet. They have been tested and they do work.
*The immunity to "mind-affecting effects" has been reduced, appropriately, to Enchantment (charm) and Enchantment (compulsion) effects. This means, and this is important, that Protection from Alignment will no longer protect against dazing, stunning, paralysis, or sleep created by non-enchantment spells. (color spray and ghoul touch, for example, are now effective against one protected from evil).
*The spell descriptors have been taken into account, and divine spellcasters will not be able to protect against their own alignment.
*While this cannot be effectively scripted, protection from alignment prevents possession by anything regardless of alignment, and prevents bodily contact with summoned creatures unless the warded person acts aggressively. Such effects are best handled bt DMs.
Note: Currently, this takes into account everything I found under a few key words and everything the game engine thinks is mind-fscking enchantment. If protection from evil doesn't stop something that is a kind of mind control or if it does stop something that isn't, make a post in the NWN1 tech forum.
Remove Disease - As both a spell and as a paladin's special ability no longer removes ability score damage.

Familiars
Wizards and sorcerers may now choose from a more normal list of familiars, and the script nw_s2_familiar has been modified to check for a master's familiar type, instead of the familiar's appearance, to determine which bonuses the master gets. (So a wizard who was not happy with the cute white kitty in the haks, a widget could be made to make said kitty into a calico without forsakeing the +3 move silently earned by the familiar's type.)
The list of added familiars is thus:
Cats, Hawks*, Owls, Rats, Snakes, Toads, Weasels, and Lizards
*As a note: yes, I know the hawk uses an eagle model/portrait. They have hawk stats and give hawk bonuses, because hawk was on the list of normal familiars by the 3.5 rules; we just didn't have a good hawk model.

Armor Parts Additions
These are by model number. They will not appear in the toolset in this order, but these are the numbers to use if you are writing a script that intends to use these models.

Bicep:
018 - coarsely stitched leather sleeve
032 - cross between a baggy sleeve and a spaulder
038 - combination between baggy maille sleeve and spaulder
098 - a poofy short dress sleeve*
099 - a poofy very short dress sleeve (that leaves the shoulder revealed)*

Forearm:
026 - outside half of a leather vambrace over cloth
027 - outside half of a metal vambrace over maille
028 - as 027, but with a visible grain etching in metal2
029 - the portion of a gauntlet that covers the wrist/forearm, with visible skin to the elbow
030 - coarsely stitched leather sleeve

Thighs:
099 - hose*

Shins:
099 - hose*

Feet:
017 - sabatons
018 - sabatons (in metal 2)
099 - booties*
113 - pointy-curly-toed shoes

Chest:
098 - a dress top that leaves the clavicle visible*
099 - a variation on 098*
210 - a decorated breastplate

Pelvis:
099 - hose*

Robe:
042 - a patterned cuirass with jazeraint/maille over the thighs (similar model to robe 029 in the current haks)
113 - a fancy (modest) Victorian-era-esque dress
182 - a maille hauberk (torso, belt, and portion that hangs to the thighs)
183 - patterned tunic
184 - (different) patterend tunic
185 - (different) patterned tunic
(the patterns are mimicings of heraldry - party per cross patterns with various charges - nothing specific to FR, though the lions and crowns on 183 might be associated vaguely with Siamorphe)
186 - a peasant dress (slop + bodice = coverage)*
187 - as 186, but with more chest coverage*
188 - a plain tunic
189 - a plain tunic (in cloth2!)
200 - a patterned robe with wide decorated collar/sleeves

* - these additions have no models for males. Sorry - the custom content community doesn't produce much in the way of men in dresses.

Technical Fixes
*Additional Animations are now added to a PC as part of the OnClientEnter script. No lever finding/pulling needed.
*Shuriken are now 1/10th of a pound a piece. (used to be weightless)
*PCs without a hide item will be given one approx. half a minute after they log into a module (as the new features above rely on the hide item to function properly.
*PCs with a hide item but without either the Additional Animations or the Maneuvers bonus feat on them will have the bonus feats added to the hide when logging into a module.
*The leather/metal dyes of custom colours that previously altered cloth colours now alter the appropriate materials -- however, this will not update dyes already in shops, only those on the palette and creator. There isn't a way for a hak update to restock shops for builders (sorry! ^^;). (Thanks go to Chamu on this one - I just pulled them out of his shop and fitzed with resrefs)
*Dead PCs will now cause a message to be sent to the DM channel with the amount of XP lost at the time of death
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Not sure if Jayde's download mirror has been updated, but Hialmar's should be:

http://bgalfa052.free.fr/Haks/3.0/

Also as a player, keep in mind to coordinate updating with your local server to avoid problems.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

I have added the "ALFA Update, August 2007" file to my mirror.

It is compressed with 7zip which you can download for free here:
http://www.7-zip.org/
Winrar uncompresses that as well so if you have it, no need to download 7zip.
FanaticusIncendi
Illithid

Post by FanaticusIncendi »

Yup, Jayde's site is updated with the new haks.

http://dannyyun.com/ALFAHAK/
Currently otherwise occupied.
JaydeMoon
Fionn In Disguise

Post by JaydeMoon »

Up on my mirror in .rar format.

I think winRAR uncompresses .7z files just fine.
<Burt>: two dudes are better than one.

DMG v.3.5 p.6, 8, and 14

BEATZ
Misty
Proletarian Librarian

Post by Misty »

awesome work!

and thanks for this most important update: pointy-curly-toed shoes :jester:
Last PC: Laurelin ~ dancer, trickster and professional pain-in-the-backside

Currently living like Rip van Winkle.
Mizbiz
Dancing Queen

Post by Mizbiz »

Thanks Zelk
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.~~Groucho Marx
RangerDeWood
Ogre

Post by RangerDeWood »

wow, and here i thought everyone had forgotten about us few who haven't switched over to NWN2 yet :)

I'm a bit confused by the new radial description, but it sounds cool and i want to try it out. Really want to try out the new armor pieces too. Some of those robes sounds really neat.
"...a smile that Judas in Hell might be proud of."

Check out my YouTube channel, all you lovely people:
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

RangerDeWood wrote:I'm a bit confused by the new radial description, but it sounds cool and i want to try it out. Really want to try out the new armor pieces too. Some of those robes sounds really neat.
In game, it's much simpler: quickslot the radial command, press the appropriate F-key, and click where you want to go. Your PC will try to use the appropriate skills/abilities to get there, and if he can't, it'll tell you. (but be careful! One "level" of height difference is 21', and the big grey cliffs are 42'. If you're an untrained climber without climbing gear, you've a 50/50 chance of failing/falling on that first check [with 1d6 damage/10' of fall, by 3.5 rules], a 1 in 4 chance of being frozen in place going "Holy crap I don't know how to climb and I can't find a foothold!" and about a 1 in 4 chance of actually making some progress... unless you're climbing in a city, in which case untrained climbers will fail to find good footholds if they get lucky, and fall if they don't.)

wow, and here i thought everyone had forgotten about us few who haven't switched over to NWN2 yet
Not everyone plans to move on to NWN2. Some ALFAns have lower end computers; some have dialup (and either can't get or can't afford something faster); some have to wrestle with both. (and I've been hearing talk of servers not planning on going to NWN2, or at least saying they'll be there as long as there're players.) No reason to not try to improve the game for those people.
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Thanks for putting so much effort into keeping NWN1 alive Zel - it's people like you working behind the scenes that allow things to tick over so smoothly!
< Signature Free Zone >
viigas
Dungeon Master

Post by viigas »

Rotku wrote:Thanks for putting so much effort into keeping NWN1 alive Zel - it's people like you working behind the scenes that allow things to tick over so smoothly!
+1

=) a nice surprise
DM viigas (TSM)
Retired toon: Faenor Bital
-----------------------------------------------------
when online: GMT thursday 2130-0230 + when RL allow me
-----------------------------------------------------
granite stonejaw:
- damn, I didnt mean to drink
JaydeMoon
Fionn In Disguise

Post by JaydeMoon »

Meddlesome meddling meddler!
<Burt>: two dudes are better than one.

DMG v.3.5 p.6, 8, and 14

BEATZ
Reddfox321
Shambling Zombie

:eek:

Post by Reddfox321 »

friggin awesome :D
current char: Isiavel Viluisurr
Formerly: Omabe Nelon, Vilmar Durothil

Server: Shadowdale

Will RP for XP

Its all about the Hamiltons, baby
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Rusty has asked for a more pervasive on/off switch on the mobility scripts - it will be included with the next haks, but any HDM who wishes to update his/her server now without enabling the mobility scripts can PM me, and the additional resources/instructions to disable will be on their way. Players don't need to worry about this -- the script runs server-side, so a server wanting to change need only update the haks on the server for now.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

All sounds great!

If you're in a position to publish "on/off" mobility instructions to the NWN1 tech forum, that'd be good. For some reason I'm envisioning cliff edges ALFAwide littered with corpses in the near future, may need to have a little testing period for the playerbase (and DMs) to get used to this.

I'll probably see once I'm updated whether these radials are open to possessed NPCs as well, possibly only those who've yanked a lever? Not that mobility is a problem for possessed NPCs, obviously (i.e., DM can fudge and jump them to any walkable spot anyplace, sans animation).
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff