Planetouched for ALFA-NWN2

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Brimsar the Wanderer
Frost Giant

Post by Brimsar the Wanderer »

The_Phoenyxx wrote:Meh, if ALFA as a whole wants them, give it to them.

Have the PA poll the playerbase, the DMA poll the DMs.
I agree with this statement 100%. Let the people decide!

I obviously would vote against, just as many would vote for. Let the majority (Even if that is just a 51 / 49% split) decide.

I beg that we as a community do not make such broad strokes of ALFA based of a handful of peoples input, whether for or against them.
Late,

Brim
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Just out of curiousity, what happens if the DMs vote against their inclusion, and they players vote for it?

Also, there are plenty who wear both hats- should they be voting twice?
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Heh, those are small details to be worked out. I think what he is saying is simply that it should be put to a vote.
< Signature Free Zone >
Nyarlathotep
Owlbear

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Just out of curiousity, what happens if the DMs vote against their inclusion, and they players vote for it?
Thunderdome
Lurker at the Threshold

Huntin' humans ain't nothin' but nothin'. They all run like scared little rabbits. Run, rabbit, run. Run, rabbit. Run, rabbit. Run rabbit. Run, rabbit, run! RUN, RABBIT, RUN! ~

Otis Driftwood, House of a Thousand Corpses
Brimsar the Wanderer
Frost Giant

Post by Brimsar the Wanderer »

AcadiusLost wrote:Just out of curiousity, what happens if the DMs vote against their inclusion, and they players vote for it?

Also, there are plenty who wear both hats- should they be voting twice?
If someone gave me the responsibility of running the poll, each person, regardless of status, history, length of involvement would get one vote - the majority would win. Period. Status of DM or player would not matter. Majority wins. Tie = we do it again. ;)

But this, like many of our community issues, seems to be rather simply solved by a popular vote. Lets face it folks, this is a GAME, if something happens and you do not like it, you have two choices.

Stay and deal

or

Leave.

It is the cold hard fact. People will gravitate to and away from things that appeal to them.
Late,

Brim
Holy_Rage
Defender of Elven Values

Post by Holy_Rage »

dergon darkhelm wrote:Your half-orc walked up to the dwarven keep and was met with a hail of axes. You could do an extensive set of statics to make the dwarves tolerate your presence ( culminating in bringing the head of a duergar as a token of allegiance) or you could do DM run quests and have it altered that way.
It will be a SAD day indeed... :(

Poll please, ladies an' gents. Let the backbone of ALFA speak, da?
Current ALFA1 PC: Raldin Thunderbeard

Mourning the passing of:
ALFA NWN1: Tergrash Forgesnuffer, Duergar Lairdson (orc-savaged in Ammarindar), Dalia Kaeldan (Ilmateri), Nermeduk the Gray (Half-Orc wizard) and many others
fluffmonster
Haste Bear

Post by fluffmonster »

I'd say let the NWN2 DMs decide...they're the ones that have to run the game. If they decide to let the players vote too, well I suppose that would be a legitimate answer. Of course, we don't even really have any nwn2 DMs yet so a vote at this time would be premature.

On a technical note, Mik has established elsewhere that allowing the planetouched that ship with the game was existing policy which Rusty seems to have changed or wish to change. Rotku could simply veto that action.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

fluffmonster wrote:On a technical note, Mik has established elsewhere that allowing the planetouched that ship with the game was existing policy which Rusty seems to have changed or wish to change. Rotku could simply veto that action.
I much prefer this option over more polls. We poll for just about everything we try and do, and half the time ignore the results anyway.

Just stand up and make the decision.
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Well, I'd prefer a poll, so there :P
< Signature Free Zone >
FanaticusIncendi
Illithid

Post by FanaticusIncendi »

I would rather there be a poll as well.
Currently otherwise occupied.
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

Speaking as a player - poll the heads of each NWN2 server that is actively buildign, not the players, as if there is any extra work involved it will primarily be for them and the future NWN2 DMs.

After all, we could run a poll that says "Would you like 24/7 DM coverage on every server" and everyone will vote "yes" - that doesn't make it realistic. An extreme example, I know.

Votes from people, like me, who will have to do zero work for a percieved benefit are rather biased. Of course we want ALFA to include every last litle thing that will turn it into a perfect play-world - but it is the builders, scripters and DMs who face any work generated by our desire for perfection.

Now, some have argued that there will be no work in including plane-touched - in which case the Builders, Scripters, and future DMs will likely vote yes. But in case it does, I think the decision should be theirs.
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have
Lusipher
Talon of Tiamat

Post by Lusipher »

This is why ALFA can be such a clusteryouknowwhat....

All the DMs think ALFA is their big play ground and that the players are just a cog in their world. ALFA is for the players not the DMs. The Dms are there to just tell the stories and let the players take them some place. DMs should work with the players and in this case the players should have the final say so. Let the players vote and decide. The Dms should abide by what the playerbase says. Also, one main problem you have here is ALFA has and will never change the DM/player rule so your going to have Dms who also play voting against the idea if their not keen on seeing them on their servers.

Why does everything here have to be such a huge freaking deal? Poll the players. Dms just L2DM ;)
Currently Playing: World of Warcraft.

Follow me on Twitter as: Danubus
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

Given that the DMs are unpaid volunteers, I hardly see why they should be given additional work to do by folks whose only contribution to said work is to sit on their ass and demand it.

This place is supposed to be fun for players AND DMs, otherwise you get DM burnout.

Poll the people that would have to do the work, if any, to see if they think it is a good return on their effort compared to the other things they might like to be working on (like getting their NWN2 server out of beta, for example).
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

What additional work is there to do? Plane touched are already implemented in NWN2.

All that a DM needs to do is read up on what plane touched actually means. If that is considered to be extra 'work' then those who think so may want to consider whether DMing is right for them.

This really does go to show how terribly long we take to get even the simplist of things done. 8 months since it was first announced that plane touched were selectable characters in NWN2, and here we are, no further along then "Lets run a poll to see if we should have them".

No wonder people leave or never apply for ALFA in the first place.
psycho_leo
Rust Monster

Post by psycho_leo »

Swift wrote:What additional work is there to do? Plane touched are already implemented in NWN2.
The additional work that comes with planetouched is one of NPC reaction and actually accomodating them in the servers. But like it's been said that also applies to other races.
Swift wrote: This really does go to show how terribly long we take to get even the simplist of things done. 8 months since it was first announced that plane touched were selectable characters in NWN2, and here we are, no further along then "Lets run a poll to see if we should have them".
This would be funny if it wasn't true.
Current PC: Gareth Darkriver, errant knight of Kelemvor
Se'rie Arnimane: Time is of the essence!
Nawiel Di'malie: Shush! we're celebrating!