Greengrass 2015

This is a general open discussion for all ALFA, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeons & Dragons topics.

Moderator: ALFA Administrators

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Greengrass 2015

Post by Zelknolf »

To be fair, it's also what I'd say if I was just putting on an event and wanted people to enjoy themselves at it.

And, 'course, if Layla's spending all of her time on TSM, I believe that there's a Mikayla-alt who could show up to eat pies and spar strangers for prizes?
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

Hmm, there IS a Mikayla-alt just sitting about. But she's not evil ... or even neutral. She's like .. nice .. and brave .. and good. And stuff.

Ye know, boring.

Which is why after having played her for 7 real life years off and on, she is still just 7th level. But, I suppose that makes her excellent fodder for pie-eating and such, though she is not into sparring.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Mikayla wrote:But, I suppose that makes her excellent fodder for pie-eating
A moment on the lips, forever on the hips.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Rumple C wrote:
Mikayla wrote:But, I suppose that makes her excellent fodder for pie-eating
A moment on the lips, forever on the hips.

*reports a Rumple sighting, but is disbelieved by most*
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Ithildur wrote:*reports a Rumple sighting, but is disbelieved by most*
A moment on the eyes, forever on the thighs.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

A thought, if you're in the mood for tooling (or coding, I don't even know the term)...

How about some jousting with some ride checks?
Stay in saddle, guide with knees, maybe even have spur as an option to do something in combat (Add AB/Damage/- to opponent's ride check to stay in the saddle if there's a hit, don't know just something as a special jousting rule)

No idea how hard it is or how fun it sounds for you to do, but thought i'd suggest it.
I suppose high levels would have the edge in AC/AB but not necessarily in riding checks.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Do people actually have ride and/or want to joust anyway?

I'm sure it's another "Why acquire the skill when nothing calls it?" vs. "Why make special things for the skill when no one has it?" -- I had assumed that we'd struggle to have a turnout for regular sparring, let alone jousting.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Most people don't have it. I always put in a few points, but it would be mostly a dex competition I think?
Anyways, just thought it would be a cool use of new horses and a good show.
The idea of basing it (even more than regular AC/AB is possible) on riding was exactly because of the fact that higher levels would have a similar chance to land on their asses (because no one took it).

Also, maybe if we start using the skill it might give people reason to put point in it (other than just for PR reasons because I bloody ride a horse and I wanna RP myself as skilled at it).

Personally I think jousting is cool, but sense i'm not going to make it I think it mostly requires that you (or someone able) would think it's cool too :)
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

In 3.5, trying to knock someone off of a horse is a trip attack, and a clause in the ride skill says that you can use it instead of your strength or dex check to resist being tripped. So if no one has ranks, it's strength check vs. either a strength check or a dex check +2 (assuming that jousting would involve military saddles).

Whether or not it's worth adding in would depend a lot on how interested people are in it.