A Guardian of Justice, Ptolem Graysin

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Galadorn
Haste Bear

A Guardian of Justice, Ptolem Graysin

Post by Galadorn »

"Sacrifice of oneself, be it of time, flesh or blood, in the name of something greater, is the calling I have taken. Forever."

~Ptolem Graysin
Paladin of Bahamut
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Re: A Guardian of Justice, Ptolem Graysin

Post by Galadorn »

Ptolem is tall and handsome. His bodily proportions are in perfect symmetry. He walks gracefully and smooth. His hair is dark toned with a very subtle bluish tinge. His hands and hair are scar free and perfectly groomed respectively. His eyes are clear light blue like a summer sky and speckled with tiny gold flakes that twinkle in the moonlight. His voice is clear and calm. He has a warm smile and calming look about him. He never speaks out of turn nor interrupts.

His armor and weapons are taken care of and oiled, with numerous etched or embroidered symbols depicting his open faith to Bahamut, hatred and/or respect to dragons of all kinds, protection, justice and religious devotions. His common clothing is usually fine quality linens and wools as he enjoys a calm and less violent existence compared to most adventurers. He is a crackshot with a bow and a formidable scout and hunter. He does not kill anything unless it is necessary, although he will eat meats already gathered for sustenance. He drinks wines and smooth spirits straight but rarely ever seems intoxicated.

Ptolem considers himself an explorer. He is trained in martial combat arts as most adventurers are. He has a serious deep hatred for the undead and of course evil dragonkind. He is stealthy and able in the wilds when such is called for. His faith is strong and he travels the roads and wilds in search of enlightenment.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Ptolem was born at the crack of dawn. His mother raised him to be a happy, true, caring protector of the weak. She was never questioned by anyone of who his father was. The subject just did not seem to ever come up. He trained himself in the wilds, and spent time at the church where he learned to defend the honor of all who deserve it, to protect good, stop the pain of innocents, and humbly aid those who deserve grace and justice.

Ptolem is older than he looks. He knows he is different. But it was many years ago that his mother passed away so it seems as if the recent past is some kind of strange dream. He moves around a lot and tries to help out wherever he next rests his feet.

Ptolem’s dreams are very livid. A warming and deep voice often times speaks to him of truth, justice and goodness, yet when he awakes it becomes a distant memory as if heard some time very long ago like something ‘half’-forgotten. Sometimes these dreams do leave within him a yearning to go somewhere, or might guide him on certain paths in days or weeks to come. It is only after these callings or acts are completed, or when the destinations of these paths finally found, do they actually reveal to him that he was guided from that earlier dream.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Ptolem’s most vivid memory, one that helped guide him even until today, was that he was once captured by a black dragon named Xiththanos the Pained. Xiththanos would normally eat beautiful men she’d capture and to this day she still does not know why she did not eat this one. Xiththanos kept Ptolem captive for many years like some sort of curiosity and plaything for her hatchlings. He was never badly hurt and shows no scars as proof. He longed for his freedom always. While captive he did learn much about dragons and secretly kept his faith in daily silent prayers to Bahamut.

It was during these years he learned what evil truly is and vowed to survive, to help those against evil dragonkind. One day when he awoke, Xiththanos and her brood simply were not there and his bondage was loose. Resting near his niche where he slept lay a beautiful longbow and a quiver of arrows. He does not know how it happened or why. He fled the cave and has never since heard of the dragon’s fate.

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Masters Aron and Anon (arcanist and monk) recruited me and a scout named Daphne for an investigation into a mysterious crypt. Their “employer” will pay well for artifacts recovered, should we return successful. Our lives will be in danger, as initial delving met with resistance from beasts not only from this realm, but a realm where the dead still walk. We must be ever wary. I am charged it appears to defend the group for their skills while formidable do not include much in the defensive combat arts. Luckily, mine do.

My ranger and paladin training goes very well. The Great Scaled Wyrm has tested me before, but I feel as if this mission will challenge me beyond any other. I vowed to protect with all I have, these brave travelers, when we descend. Perhaps this mission, if we return, might reward me with enlightenments to advance in His church. We will see.

Our mission began from the Blade and Stars tavern, where we traveled by caravan far south along the Tradeway to the Cloud Peak mountains near Amn. Breaking eastward on foot, we traveled deep within the wilds, encountering a Gnoll warparty and a creature I had only previously heard of from wild eyed storytellers, few of which I could trust… a Werewolf. A cursed man half man half wolf, but full of hate and hunger. Luckily I carried an alchemically silvered woodsman’s axe, thus greatly aiding in its demise as its flesh seemed to reform if normal steel broke it.

We reached the deep ravine where our map had led, and eventually into the crypt. Daphne led the way within the winding and dismal circuitous halls of the crypt, scouting our progress carefully, and disarming devices only a great evil power could devise to thwart us… or… were we the invaders upon hallways we dared never enter in the first place? Several creatures of undeath accosted our progress along the way, which helped my mind rest easier in our pursuit. I would not disturb the resting place of those who in life had proven just. My vows would hold. Some great fortune for our team came to light when we found a powerful wand of healing.

The crypt itself, seemed desecrated. Once perhaps a proud place of devotion to a long lost deity of the ‘Harvest’. As we furthered on, statues and tapestries depicting scenes of undeath further desecrating the just and goodness of the realm fueled our search until a final tomb we found ourselves within. Seven sarcophagi, and a great chill to our bones accompanying. Six in two rows, and one more resting morbidly in the center. Undisturbed we decided their fate. At first, my initiate teachings within my holy sect held me back from their desecration. Great prayers I spoke, baiting whatever horrors might rest here to be gone or perhaps present themselves, to decide their and our final fates. At last I chose to open one.

A great chill washed over us. Bones clattered around us. Stone upon stone scraped and squeaked sending further chills down our backs as seven coffin lids slid open. To our horror the creatures that rested within, rested no more.

Six skeletal warriors, with rusting scythes creaked their ancient cackling and rotting limbs towards us, muscles long rotted away, but an evil force pushing them forward stronger than any living man or woman. The seventh coffin, delayed in its opening from which appeared an unforgettable sight. Nothing I’ve dreamt of could prepare me for it. An undeath so terrible, a dark, deep evil horror and wielder of the arcane. A skeletal sorcerer arose.

The seven dead of some horrific harvest god, tainted and hungry, lunged. We dove backwards into the halls we had first came for the best defensive chance, if I could only stand between them and my comrades - I would take the onslaught to give them a chance. At one point, with only one creature down, I held the other five scythe wielding skeletal alone while the sorcerer blasted me with arcane missiles… this was my test. Would I hold or would I die here? I held.

My comrades and I smashed the beasts and granted them final rest. Searching the tombs our stalwart band retrieved many artifacts to bring back to our employer for just rewards. Armor, staves, weapons, gloves, rings, potions, gems and scrolls of divine and arcane writings, some of which carry enchantments upon them of great power. Perhaps our employer may reimburse us well when we finally meet.

Finally, when my prayers that night I gave, my patron and Lord granted me great new enlightenments and boons to carry with me on future missions.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

I traveled with Lessa again. She knows her way around the wilds and is a good support with a bow and her divinities. She spoke of the source of her powers, that being that she does not beg or pray for boons, but alas ‘deals’ with the spirits who she can contact, and based upon her strength of faith (and sometimes deeds), in exchange for her abilities. She remains very cold, but in these times, with undeath that walk and unnatural beasts that roam the wilds it is not an unwelcome chill at the very least. Her chill helps keep me focused.

I met her accompanied by a northerner and new comrade in arms; Britt. I was headed to Candlekeep with packages to deliver, the road east of the Tradeway towards the Keep is a dangerous one indeed, but not one I worry about much anymore since my recent training. Britt is a young and unseasoned shield maiden from the north, but one to watch in the coming years as she has already proven her salt against the orcs among the settlements south of Ruqel. She speaks a strange accent, strong and firm, not one I’ve never heard but rare in these parts. Nearly fearless, she did not hesitate when the numerous orc, defending their encroached lands towards the human settlement, engaged us on our scouting mission.

We have been charged to quell a large host of orc in the caverns under the earth where their crude settlements are, south and west of Ruqel. It is for lack of a better word a small orc city. Briefly surveying the threat, it will be a very dangerous mission we all agree greater support must be conscripted before its attempt. The temple has requested we do not kill ‘innocents’ we encounter below. Only those who take arms against our invasion. But who are the innocents here, especially if it is we who attack them first? Don’t the orc deserve to defend themselves? I have not witnessed attacks upon Ruqel from orcish axes, only those provoked by adventures (like us) who delve into their settlements. I will need more answers before I lead a slaughter fest below.

-=-=-=-

Lessa and I saved a human child named Westa from kobolds. Now these bastards I hesitate not to cleanse. A little female child to suffer beatings upon beatings. When she saw Lessa, and Lessa reached for her, her confusion and terror broke into muffled sobs of pure relief. We carried her back, for her lashings and beatings were so heavy she could not walk herself. We were warned to keep civil our talks with their negotiator… to hold our blades, and pay heavy sums of gold for her return for we feared not act diplomatic nor try to force them with threat. I agreed then, only to get her back to Ruqel, into the beds of the hospital below. But only then. I vow upon my own life, I will return very soon and Bahamut’s greatice Justice will rain down upon them through me for this.

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

My heart sank today.

I try to patrol the docks of the Gate often. I want those who prey upon others to know there are some who defend the people here – perhaps they will try to better themselves and find work instead of terrorizing the good people here. I encounter the poor souls, the men who risk their lives to steal from the dock workers and citizens who walk through the district. They must truly be desperate to approach me of all those ‘available’. Upon the back of my massive warhorse, fully armed and armored, they approach demanding crowns. I always pity them; beg them even, to turn around. They never listen. I will not pass my gold to them, so they can move to the next victim. If they attack me, I must respond. I cannot allow these men to do the same to innocents who will surely fall to their blades. Oftentimes His graces and boons I possess are enough to save them from death, but not always.

It is never easy to find an innocent butchered on the street. But today, I found a friend.

A friend fallen to these men. Britt Eisherz. A warrior shield maiden from the North. Stout and brave, I can sadly imagine how the encounter transpired. I did not know her long, but I am sure she tried to reason with the scoundrel. Perhaps, her bravery and confidence got the best of her, and she ordered his retreat… but she was unseasoned.

Her wounds were jagged and pained. I found her bled out near The Lucky Sword. I brought her lifeless body to the Sharpened Axe where the Priests there will set her soul properly in Tempus’ name. I am sure she will join the eternal battle by His side. Farewell Britt.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

*Ptolem copies notes into his journal regarding the new threat upon Rivermoot, and plans to gather forces as a Militia member to quell the insurgence.*

A bounty is now on offer in Rivermoot. A rash of kobold attacks now plagues the mountainous regions north of Rivermoot. This tribe of blue-scaled kobolds has a singular tusk or horn-like projection (rumored to be akin to blue dragons). This has led to local denizens referring to the vermin tribe as "Tuskers" of late. Interested parties are to seek out the Knights in Silver in Rivermoot and report for duty, or turn in a severed horn as proof of action against this new menace. Speculations abound about what has caused the latest population increase.

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Following up on the Tusker situation, I found myself among quite the diverse group of adventurers, warriors, rangers, healers, and a curious and talkative arcanist. Together we struck the northern path of Rivermoot to investigate and quell this new blue skinned Kobold threat. 5 gold per tusk Sergeant Longarm said. We provisioned and headed out. Soon we came upon a wounded and near death Militiaman. I saved him with divine draughts of health, along with the blessings of a beautiful Elven healer in our band named Maija.

‘My last memory of a brave healer name Maija…’

The wounded Militiaman revealed to us our path will lead to much more than mere kobolds. He told us he’d escaped the clutches of Giantkin just north, and after fleeing, his wounds so great he collapsed…thankful the monsters decided they had caught enough of his companions for a few full gullets.

Half way up the mountain our band came upon a rare sight so close to the settlement.

A small war party of Ice giants preparing a gruesome meal of their fresh caught prey. Some of our group unseasoned, we decided against it at first… but thoughts of the closeness of such a formidable enemy to Rivermoot changed our minds. We planned strategies to attack, Torae supplied us all with enchanted flaming arrows and we struck from higher ground. We took one of the great monstrous giants down before they reached us, climbing up the mountain pass great giant sized axes and clubs in huge icy hands closing fast.

When the second and third giant reached us, I dropped my bow, hefted my shield and charged. Perhaps this was my time was all I thought, but the lives of the men and women behind me might not be lost if I head them off and give them more time. It did not take long for my fall. Three swings of the massive axe from the first Giant and I was down. When I awoke, Maija had perished, cleaved in half by one swing, she’d ran too far down the hill, to continue her shooting and misjudged the gait of the giants. I was told Dane’s prayers to the War God Tempus were heard, and he felled another with assistance from Torae’s insane bow shots from behind with support from Xiu Li. I do not remember Azikar on the line… but perhaps it was he who saved my life? Not being as seasoned it would have been suicide if he’d braved any closer, none blamed him for it. It was not revealed who brought me back before death’s door I breached. The rest were victorious although one giant fled from his burning wounds. I fear we may meet him again.

We carried Maija back to Rivermoot. Laid her remains to rest with the Militia clergy, collected our bounty, and rested.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

My travels have brought me back to Baldur's Gate often, and for good measure. I have met another warrior priest who has helped me more than once along the way. An elf devoted to Mystra. Ruasar he is called, and only that. Perhaps my tongue be turned beyond my ability to speak his family name, I dared not ask.

A brave warrior and one who holds faith as strong as I, a rare thing these days. I hope to seek him out again as his hatred for and desire to rid the realm of undeath rivals even my own. A strong and adept arm in the fray, together we can make a difference...for now, there are many in anxious wait for their...mail.

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

An occurrence... one that has affected my very soul, even shaken my granted resolve against darkness, evil... even fear...has happened. It has only happened once before... and even then it was over 40 years ago, and that was said to have been such a unique experience most still do not even believe me.

Traveling north along the Trade Way, somewhere near the great oak of the marches I was headed... a great shape shadowed the entire area from above. My gaze reflexively shifted upward and nearly knocked me off my horse. A dark, shaded, colossal winged figure soared over me only what could have been a hundred yards above...yet settled gently, as if light as a feather upon a ridge ahead.

A dragon.

It was unlike anything even I had dreamt of. It's movements so deliberate, so smooth, like a mixture of the most graceful cat and serpent. The darkness of the night clouding my vision, I continued my path forward, should this have been the Great Platinum Wyrm's design, my final test, my end, i'd gratefully charge ahead with only prayer as my weapon, surely the primitive and mundane weapons I held in my hands would never help...

But... my end was not to be. For as I closed slowly forward... the moonlight catching the scales of this magnificent creation of greatness... I saw it for what it was... it's gleaming hide... of gold.

A Gold dragon.

My heart in my throat I continued. I dared not interrupt its moment of rest, so I stopped, stared, and soaked in the feeling of completeness it gave me. For a moment we were the only creatures in the universe. Quietly listening to the realm's time pass.

Within only a few moments, it spread it's great wings, and with but a single flap, it was nearly out of sight.

If I meet it again, I will speak to it. For I'll never forget it as long as I live.

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Ptolem starts once again to put out the rumours at the Blade and Stars, Elfstone, and at the Docks, to lead a gathering of swordarms and axes to venture into the Wood of Sharp Teeth.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Ptolem sighs, and starts once again...and again... to put out the rumours at the Blade and Stars, Elfstone, and at the Docks, to lead a gathering of swordarms and axes to venture into the Wood of Sharp Teeth.