Tavern Tales and Rumours

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Re: Tavern Tales and Rumours

Post by orangetree »

shad0wfax wrote:Rumors are flying wildly in Baldur's Gate that the wizard known as Toby Menzer is not only a foul necromancer but also a perverted defiler of the dead. A credible witness has gone to Duke Eltan with the serious allegation of necrophilia committed over several tendays within Toby's apartment. The corpse is that of his dead girlfriend, Kata, a barbaric fighter of some small repute among adventuring circles.

Further speculation among the populace suggests that he may be responsible for the death himself, though the Flaming Fist is not answering. All that any Flaming Fist mercenary will say is that Toby is wanted for unclean relations with a corpse.
A young halfling knight in armor looks aghast at the rumours. "I knew this man, he would not do such things..." She glances with some quiet rage at the thought of it and ill at the rumour itself. She talks a little more of his general character having known Toby a year ago or so. She speaks of their journey to the Candlekeep and his devotion to Oghma back then. He was a 'Little human boy mage'. When the subject of necromancy comes up though she reminds: "The study of Necromancy in of itself is not a crime. I knew of several that used their knowledge to slay the undead.". When pressed upon the vile acts she looks aghast. However she does offer this: "A man can not be responsible for his actions under a curse placed by another... a curse that could have come to any of us. Praise that it was not you... before you damn him. Let the full facts be investigated before judgement."
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

orangetree wrote:
shad0wfax wrote:Rumors are flying wildly in Baldur's Gate that the wizard known as Toby Menzer is not only a foul necromancer but also a perverted defiler of the dead. A credible witness has gone to Duke Eltan with the serious allegation of necrophilia committed over several tendays within Toby's apartment. The corpse is that of his dead girlfriend, Kata, a barbaric fighter of some small repute among adventuring circles.

Further speculation among the populace suggests that he may be responsible for the death himself, though the Flaming Fist is not answering. All that any Flaming Fist mercenary will say is that Toby is wanted for unclean relations with a corpse.
A young halfling knight in armor looks aghast at the rumours. "I knew this man, he would not do such things..." She glances with some quiet rage at the thought of it and ill at the rumour itself. She talks a little more of his general character having known Toby a year ago or so. She speaks of their journey to the Candlekeep and his devotion to Oghma back then. He was a 'Little human boy mage'. When the subject of necromancy comes up though she reminds: "The study of Necromancy in of itself is not a crime. I knew of several that used their knowledge to slay the undead.". When pressed upon the vile acts she looks aghast. However she does offer this: "A man can not be responsible for his actions under a curse placed by another... a curse that could have come to any of us. Praise that it was not you... before you damn him. Let the full facts be investigated before judgement."
Although the sensational rumors of a murderous necrophile spread like wildfire through the city of Baldur's Gate and by now have reached as far south as Nashkel and as far north as the tiny settlement of Tempus' Tears, the news of what the necromancer and necrophile's fate was are slower to spread inside the city and have not spread far outside of the city at all.

The mage known as Toby is now known by Baldur's Gate's nobility as Toby the Necrophile. The nobility and the upper class within the city speak more factually about the trial, where Toby the Necrophile admitted having sexual relations with the dead corpse of his last woman companion, Kata, multiple times. The upper class and nobility further state that Toby the Necrophile admitted to being present for Kata's death and the death of a woman named Vila.

The nobility and wealthy are stating that Toby the Necrophile was found guilty of necrophilia, issuing a death threat to a citizen of Baldur's Gate and is still suspected of killing the same citizen, although the latter is unproven. Toby the Necrophile was cleared of the direct murder of Kata, and incidentally of Vila, though some of the dukes, especially Duke Belt and Duke Entar Silvershield are rumored to have said to their close friends that Toby is likely responsible for their deaths, even if it was a bear and wyvern respectively that did them in.

The nobility and the commoners of Baldur's Gate are speaking of the result of the trial. Toby the Necrophile was fined a considerable amount of gold, forfeited his apartment, crafting table, and the contents of his locker in his apartment and is exiled from Baldur's Gate on pain of death. Duke Eltan himself issued the proclamation, and fairly accurate charcoal sketches of Toby's face are posted all over the city, with the caption, "EXILED ON PAIN OF DEATH."
Lokan
Dungeon Master

Post by Lokan »

A traveler from Candlekeep has been spreading the word, on his way to "the Gate", to all that he passes about an INFESTATION of rats near an fresh opening in the ground near a rock outcropping just north of The way of the Lion. Some, he stated, were very large!
Current PC: IS NOT Dent Jars
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Whispers of a blue dragon begin to circulate about the city of Baldur's gate.

In unrelated news, the darkened woman known as Zova was seen to be dragging an enormous bug-like creature past the outer gates, and into Darfleet!
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Lokan wrote:....an INFESTATION of rats....
((now, i wonder what he's getting at here :chin: ))
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Lokan
Dungeon Master

Post by Lokan »

Dorn wrote:
Lokan wrote:....an INFESTATION of rats....
((now, i wonder what he's getting at here :chin: ))
Indeed 8)
Current PC: IS NOT Dent Jars
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

*A shady Baldurian accosts Orrh in the dead of night. Though minding his own business, Orrh scoffs at the man's feeble attempt to relieve him of his coin purse. Calling upon the arcane arts, Orrh howls in fury and burns the man alive with a steady stream of magical flame jetting from his hands. Watching with maniacal glee, and a crazed look in his eye, Orrh condemns the man to eternal torment in the deepest layer of hell for all eternity as the last of life escapes the wretched fool who dared to cross paths with a superior being.*
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

There are many happenings in Darfleet. The Greatworm has been seen to bury yet more comrades under the Tree of Greatworm. He is often to be seen talking, sitting by the three mansized, and one childsized mound upon which many stones from the fields of Darfleet have been placed. The names Red Tiger, Tiggal, and Rook have been heard from The Greatworm as he speaks, along with the now familiar name of Qasim.

Two suns past, small fires were seen to erupt from across the river, near the Greatworm's camp. Sounds of fighting lasted mere moments. Some few minutes later, a man scrambled over the bridge at Darfleet, running as fast as his feet would carry him toward the city. Not long after, a purple robed man crossed in persuit. Whispers among the farmers tell of the Greatworm, as well as his companions Blond Cousin and the experienced swordsman Shank as well as an elf stopping three men and a woman from robbing the purple robbed man upon the road on the outskirts of Darfleet. There is speculation that the man running toward the city may have been on of the four robbers, as only three bodies were put into the earth after the battle. One eyewitness swears the Greatworm himself not only spared the mans life, but even went as far as to heal the injured man's wounds taken in the battle.

Among the women of Darfleet, different whispers are to be heard. A woman the Greatworm calls Skyheart has taken to camping with the Greatworm, it is said. Though they have separate tents, there is wild speculation of the goings on when the sun departs from the sky.

After leaving with a new elven companion, Saltblood, The Greatworm was seen entering Darfleet this past sun some time later, bearing an enormous bear paw the size of his own shield. He made his way into camp, where he stripped off his filigreed plate, and climbed, however ungracefully, to the top of the Greatworm Tree, to tie off the paw to the very tip top of the tree, claws pointed to the sky like so many daggers.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Two children have gone missing.
The two, a brother and sister, were playing in the outskirts of Beregost during morning, though come midday there were gone.
And when night fell and the next morn followed, most of the hope that they will be found alive was lost.

However the desperate mother have been crying for help in the streets of Beregost. The temple have told her that they have scouted the near by area and found no clues, and there is nothing they could do.

The mother was heard to offer two horses and a milking cow for whoever could bring her her children back.

A vagabond on the outskirts of town claims he saw the pair running north along the road, towards the Lion's Crossing, but that was a day ago.

/// I may have further clues for you if you have high Gather Info - feel free to poke I'll be in game - as a toon or DM - or on IRC
Encounter set if you can find it, full party of levels 6-5ish.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Audark
Owlbear

Post by Audark »

Tales of a bloody battle at Gullykin trickle into Beregost and beyond. Malarites most foul descended on the Hin settlement in great numbers but were halted by the combined forces of the Gullykin Militia and Crossbowmen from Ruqel. The stories also tell of two elves who stood outside the gate, raining arrows on the black bloods as they rushed in their frenzy. Two great waves were laid down and the number of malarite dead continue to rise by the telling, fifty, one hundred, two hundred!

What is known is that the settlement is safe and the walls were not breached.

http://i.imgur.com/kKZTbOf.jpg

((congrats zelk on some really cool static content, even if not meant for for my level, it kept us busy literally all day yesterday and led to some great RP. I bugged it out by leaving the defend zone so we did the battle twice, hence the prodigious number of dead haha))
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Those travelling past or living around the Silver Spires may, if they have keen eyes, taken note of a small rough camp at the edge of the city.

A fire with a but few embers and a small lean-to propped up with a longbow are all that marked the camp, making it difficult to see the from the road.

The wood elf who makes camp there is also difficult to see. However, over recent days he has become easy to hear ... and smell.

The sounds of a vicious wracking cough, so severe one might think it would break ribs, has been incessant over the last few nights.

But even worse, just in the last day is the smell. A deep scent of rotting flesh is beginning to waft towards the inn. It seems to be strong enough to have drawn the attention of carrion birds that have made perch in the branches above the small encampment.
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

A merchant traveling the Tradeway reported seeing a, "Giant fleshy slug, sucking the marrow out of the bones of a deer."

As the merchant was drunk and is rumored to have recently lost his infamously rotund wife to another merchant's attentions, this rumor was dismissed as nothing more than jealous slander.

However, word has come from Gullykin that the dangerous region known now as the ruins of Firewine Bridge have been inhabited by strange flesh-beasts. Though none have been bold enough to approach Gullykin, the Halflings in the militia patrols have sighted the beasts twice now.

Although the merchant was vindicated by the truth of his tale coming to light, it was too late for him to salvage his reputation after he became known as the man who called his ex-wife a giant flesh-eating slug.

(( UPDATE ))

The rumors are confirmed by many merchants traveling the Tradeway in the vicinity of Nashkell and slightly farther north; fleshy beasts that seem to attack mindlessly and fight to the death have been reported on the road by the Flaming Fist and the Merchant League Mercenaries. The soldiers from Amn seem to be notably absent in these reports.
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

As the sun rose over the Spires a familiar red head was seen struggling to carry a body up the steps.

Once inside she spoke quietly with Hanna, arranging and paying for funeral expenses before taking the body down to the Cathedra and cleaning and tending to it herself.

"Rest well my friend , may you find pleasure and joy in the afterlife." *kisses the body on the Forehead before covering the face in fresh linens*

**Dharros would be remembered in her prayers for many years to come**
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Toraedhien Starspire made his way to Ruqel after news of Dharros' falling reached him Beregost.

Finding the body washed and tended, ready for final ceremony he laid a small bundle of sweet-smelling amberfel leaves and sprigs of winterroot atop his friend's chest.

In elvish he spoke lightly. "I always enjoyed our travels friend. I will miss you. I pray that this last journey brings you safely to your final home."
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

DANGEROUS STAG BEETLE AT LIONS PATH

A hin knight of yondalla returns from a patrol to requel. She is bleeding very badly with terrible wounds, but was able to heal herself. Her icy eyes look angered a moment before she provides a notice at the feathered touch.

"Beware the lions path! There is a large beetle there. My attempts to slay it showed its true nature to be as vicious as an ogre. Armor will not help you, neither will blade. It will slay the inexperienced mercilessly. I emphasize do not engage this beast alone. I ask any able group out there to slay this thing before it harms anyone. Commoners please avoid this path for at least a few hours. "