Tavern Tales and Rumours

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Audark
Owlbear

Re: Tavern Tales and Rumours

Post by Audark »

gonz.0 wrote:A masked and hooded woodsman, reported by Bentley to be a trusted scout left a message deep in the night with the gnome who then proceeded to post a notice in the bar, and at the gate.
= BEWARE =
A large construct has been sighted in the Cloakwood.
The immense beast is under control of Goblins.
Do not tarry and do not approach it on fear of death.
... Several hours later, just inside the east gate, at a tavern with no door...

The bartender listens attentively, as do some of the patrons who are still conscious and able to listen though some the next day won't remember due to drink and such.

The haggard looking fellow, several days whiskers and dark smudges of dirt making his face appear darker and older than he sounded, told a story. Perhaps he would not have had an audience, but for the fancy bow, and sword at his hip, and the armor he wore.
I tell you Aundy, when Calil told me she heard something large crashing through the brush and trees, much bigger than orcs and worgs... I thought she was just warning me of the goblins perhaps capturing a dire wolf to set to guard outside of their warren. If only... I admit, I am not fearless facing a pack of their mounts and hounds... the goblins train them and raise them to be fearsome critters. And they can smell you if you don't take care... get your sent and then they are on you. Best to be wary. If she had not said it was near the warrens.. I might have stumbled onto what she was warning me of instead of approaching cautiously.

I crept up on the warrens, and then as I was masking my scent, I noticed... that wasn't just a puddle, but a huge footprint... and deep. I'd wager either the thing that was making the steps was massive, or carrying a large warhorse under each arm, and a cord of firewood on it's back. That's how deep the print was. Then I saw the other prints and knew it's direction... so I crept up, then I saw it, it was stone colored, and stood stock still, till a stag came by with it's doe in tow. The thing, by the distance I was at it was difficult to tell it's height, but it's head was about twice the height of the stag's antlers from the ground. It lashed out with it's massive arms. as the thing was shaped like a man... and snapped the necks of both of the deer *he snaps his fingers* like that. Then it picks up the deer and walks off with them.

I followed, and damned if it wasn't delivering the meat back to the goblins... like they was... like they were controlling it somehow. I've only seen something that big once before, a golem made of clay, made by one of them wizards from the enclave... but this one looked like it was clay turned color of stone... like a huge man, twice as wide, twice as tall, and ungodly strong, and when it walked... the ground shook, like a full team of horses stomping in unison might make it shake.

I say... stay out of them woods... the goblins have a new pet, or ally... and damn thing looks like it could rip your arm off while shaking your hand, by accident, if it had a mind to try such a thing. Them goblins with their worgs are dangerous enough, you add this thing, and I'd wager a well armed squad of the fist, would fall to them.
He continued drinking heavily throughout, not slowing, as if he was very disturbed by what he saw, or perhaps it was something bothering him before... none could tell, but he stayed at the bar for hours, looking in need of sleep, but not leaving. Even though he did switch to tea after an hour or two... at the bartender's behest.
An elf in green was overheard at the Blade and Stars speaking by the fire of running into a 'Grey Render' in the cloakwood and that the encounter had resulted in the death of the beast. The elf seemed surprised that folks had heard of the beast roaming the woods already and seemed relieved that no one had come to harm in setting eyes upon it before.
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

A little boy by the name of Yurian comes sprinting to the guards standing at the Black Dragon Gate. Between heaving breaths he relates that a pack of wild dogs and what look to be wolves descended from the hills above Darfleet and fell upon the farm across the road. It appeared that the farmer got his family inside, but much of his livestock was lost. Yurian knew their farm might be next and so he took off down the road to try and get help.

Yurian thinks he saw some of the dogs foaming at the mouth and may have even been turning on their own in their frenzy.

The guards catch any passersby to see if any are interested in helping the small farming community. Clearly they are too busy to be bothered.

Encounter set. CR 2(ish) The farmer offers what reward he can if the dogs are put down.

Highbies let the lowbies handle this one, please.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

The Farmers tell of a large, heavily armored Half-orc cutting down the Wild Dogs and Wolves. The battle raged quickly and seemed to be over until a Wolf the size of a small horse came charging out of the hills, foaming at the mouth and intent on bloodshed. The beast met a quick and brutal end by the sword of the Half-breed fellow. Oddly enough some of the farmers were heard to be remarking on the fact that a large wolf was trailing the Warrior; seemingly intent on guarding his back...
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Recent reports to the captain and over heard in the Blade are stories of a raiding party of lizards men being thwarted by a Half orc , a mage and a warrior woman along the river between the Gate and the Utgards Beard, though not before they had devastated a few merchant caravans
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Rumors swirl and spread throughout the Market District that something is wrong in the Elfsong Tavern. Folk speak of the mysterious deaths of patrons. Those who frequent the tavern regularly can confirm that, over the last moon, two bodies were found upstairs in the place. Most people who speak of it attribute the deaths to business deals gone bad, as is bound to happen with the manner of clientele the which the Elfsong caters.

However, last evening another death occurred. A young woman from a foreign land was seen drinking at the bar in the main taproom. The story goes that she became agitated during the Ghostly singer's nightly serenade. After a few moments, she screamed and then dropped dead to the floor. Xavier and Lady Elendara asked patrons to leave and the guard was summoned. It is unknown what came of their investigation, as they are all hesitant to speak on it. Of course, that fact has done nothing to slow the rumor mill.

Some maintain the woman's death was just another deal gone bad. A few suggest that Xavier's signature dark ale is tainted. One or two of the more brazen gossips intimate that the spirit of the singing elf has turned murderous.

Today the Elfsong reopened, but business seems to have dropped off slightly. Returning regulars ply Xavier with questions about what happened, but he is offering no answers. If pressed, he indicates that he has been ordered by management to not speak of it with customers.
Talk less. Listen more.

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

The Captain of the Guard has issued an order that the city sewers are off limits to all individuals, except with expressed permission of the Guard or the Dukes.

People seeking such permissions are to speak with the Captain of the Guard.

The official statement is that there is structural work being done and it is unsafe for folk not of the plumber's guild.

While some backages have been noted, particularly in the Market District, there are more than a few folk suggesting that the official story is dubious. Many murmurings in the taprooms of the city suggest there is a much more serious problem in the sewers.
Talk less. Listen more.

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Gellana Mirrorshade at the temple at the Friendly Arms Inn has a concern and she would like someone to look into it.

She has heard from a little bird (and other messengers of nature) that a cete of particularly aggresive badgers have been seen in the valley east of the Lion's Way crossroad, near the Wood of Sharp Teeth. The descriptions of the creatures suggest to Gellana that they may soon impinge on the Coast Way and cause trouble for travelers. Further, the rapidity of their appearance worries her that they may be under the influence of some force.

The gnome priestess offers a modest sum of coin and some elixirs as reward for pushing back this threat and reporting on any associated suspicious activity.

Encounter set for several PCs of levels 4-5.
Talk less. Listen more.

Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

. . . . after a quick exchange with a local . .. . a few set off from the Blade seeking to check out rumors of Necromancers, that may have connections to the recent trouble in the Elfsong, hiding in a house in the nearby village of Darfleet.

. . . . . they returned through the Black Dragon gate, bloody and tired, an extra person with them, many hours later.

. . . . . tidbits floating here and there after they were seen reporting to the Captain , indicate that one of the farmers in Darfleet had been killed, there had indeed been some necromancers using his home, and they had rescued some poor sot that had been mugged on the road before the necromancers could use him for a sinister purpose.

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Grave Events At The Elfsong!

The city is abuzz with tales of a vengeful spirit that manifested upstairs in the Elfsong early last evening. It is being circulated that a negotiation meeting between some city merchants and some representatives from one of the larger shipping companies was terribly and lethally interrupted by the spirit of a woman that arose from the floor.

Patrons reported hearing the most terrible scream reverberating through the structure from the second floor. Many say they had never experienced anything like it and that it filled them with a dread they never thought possible. Several admitted later to soiling themselves. All who could fled the tavern onto the street.

A group of adventurers braved the establishment and they briefly encountered the spirit.

The group investigated and reported finding eight dead men in an upstairs meeting room. One survivor is thought to have been found as well, although his condition is unknown at present.

After meeting with the guard and the owner of the establishment, city officials have ruled the Elfsong to be off limits until the Dukes can confer and decide what should be done. The doors of the tavern have been locked and guards posted, albeit not very closely, as many fear the spirit may move beyond the walls of the place. Anyone who tries to enter the Elfsong actually meets little resistance from most of the rank and file guards, but they most certainly do so at their own peril.

Oddly, folk have noticed that the grass and other plant life surrounding the Elfsong has turned brown and withered in the last 24 hours.
Talk less. Listen more.

Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Mick wrote:Gellana Mirrorshade at the temple at the Friendly Arms Inn has a concern and she would like someone to look into it.

She has heard from a little bird (and other messengers of nature) that a cete of particularly aggresive badgers have been seen in the valley east of the Lion's Way crossroad, near the Wood of Sharp Teeth. The descriptions of the creatures suggest to Gellana that they may soon impinge on the Coast Way and cause trouble for travelers. Further, the rapidity of their appearance worries her that they may be under the influence of some force.

The gnome priestess offers a modest sum of coin and some elixirs as reward for pushing back this threat and reporting on any associated suspicious activity.
A motley group of adventurers led by a dwarf, set forth from the Friendly Arm to investigate the issue with the badgers. They return several hours later to report that the threat has been dealt with. But their findings indicate that the badgers had been incited by a group of Malarites. Many of the badgers had to be put down as they were too blood crazed to scare off, but a few of the pups were said to still be alive.

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

"Beshaba's black tits!" Zash cursed loudly out as he kicked the dead goblin again; this time hard enough to hurt his foot. He glared to the ridges surrounding the small valley; challenging anymore of its foul brethren to come out of their hiding. He could hear them alright, muttering to themselves; plotting, planning; but sometimes the sneaky little bastards were more intelligent than most cared to admit.
He looked back to the corpse; the platinum hair still clung to the details of her face. He knelt down and brushed the hair from her eyes with a sigh; he was right... It was Zul. He gently picked her up and began the voyage to Ruqel, and to the temple of her recently acquired Goddess...
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

ImStrokerAce wrote:"Beshaba's black tits!" Zash cursed loudly out as he kicked the dead goblin again; this time hard enough to hurt his foot. He glared to the ridges surrounding the small valley; challenging anymore of its foul brethren to come out of their hiding. He could hear them alright, muttering to themselves; plotting, planning; but sometimes the sneaky little bastards were more intelligent than most cared to admit.
He looked back to the corpse; the platinum hair still clung to the details of her face. He knelt down and brushed the hair from her eyes with a sigh; he was right... It was Zul. He gently picked her up and began the voyage to Ruqel, and to the temple of her recently acquired Goddess...

:(

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

A grizzled woodsman stops into the Friendly Arm Inn and orders a tankard of Bentley's cheapest ale...and then another...and probably some others.

Tell yah, Bent...sompin' has the ogre in the Sharp Teeth skirred. Damnedest thing. Spied a few of 'em outside that cave they like ta call home, 'cludin' least one o' them magey ones. Damnedest thing...half were 'bout to piss theyself, half already had. They all were arguin' though. Dinnae catch all 'o it, but 's clear sompin' chased 'em out of that cave.

Damnedest thing...must'a been sompin' right frightnin'. Not bein' much can skirr so many o' 'em.

Encounter set. CR 12-14ish. Take not this one lightly.
Talk less. Listen more.

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Notices are posted in prominent locations throughout the city of Baldur's Gate, including on the signs that have been posted outside the doors of the Elfsong Tavern:

Be it known that the Dukes are prepared to offer a reward to any group or individual able to cleanse the Elfsong Tavern of the malevolent spirit that has come to dwell within.

Proof of the deed shall be rewarded with a sum of 25,000 coins of gold. His Lordship Entar Silvershield should be sought when the task is complete.
Talk less. Listen more.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Twenty five thousand..." muttered the Elf in astonishment as he contemplated the words on the notice.

"Things must be getting desperate; perhaps it's time to give this matter serious and immediate attention, before a grim and dark shadow spoils the approaching festive days for the region..."
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt