Marpenoth is here! (TSM info dump/planning, please add/comment))

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 03 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Marpenoth is here! (TSM info dump/planning, please add/comment))

Post by Ithildur »

Memo from Kythorn distributed to various people in Silverymoon (all the PCs that have dorms in the Lady's College, including Jhessi, plus the 2 priestesses in Everdusk receive the memos - T'lisa and Begor I think it's best if it's assumed the memos are handed to them directly, Nioniel as well if Silverymoon is a regular hangout for her) ... the penmanship is rather odd, at times fluid and elegant, at times looking almost like it's written by a young student, uneven and unpracticed:

With the passage of time I grow increasingly concerned. There is... much at stake. I believe especially after the most recent episode with the corpse interrogation, we'd benefit from reviewing and 'comparing notes' as it were, then plan based on what we collectively have learned.

Absolute certainties:

Orc raids on caravans have been increasing in the areas near the Silverymoon Pass for some time this year.

My wife, daughter, and I were part of a caravan that was attacked in such a raid. I was sent to get aid, and was overtaken by some sort of avalanche, then rescued by a mysterious benefactor who turned out to be the shapeshifter druid named Gray Fox. My wife and daughter were taken from danger by Gray Fox's son, most likely a Ranger, who had hired himself out as a guard to the fateful caravan. He has disappeared, gone into hiding, presumably while keeping my wife and daughter safe and out of sight of those who hunt them.

When I awoke from my injuries I had lost much of my memory. I found I was marked on the arm with the symbol of the 6th month, Kythorn (Time of Flowers).

Gray Fox's son is marked with the symbol of the eighth month, Eleasis (Highsun).

Someone (an orc, according to Gray Fox) called Marpenoth (10th month, Leaffall) is revered by the orcs, and his 'arrival' has been heralded for many tendays leading up to this moon cycle, the month of Marpenoth. This one bears a similar mark/symbol (for Marpenoth presumably) as well on his person.

Recently I received a message written on oak leaf recently from one who turned out to be Gray Fox: ""You are marked with the season of flowers and pure of blood. Your women are hunted in your stead. My son is hunted and marked with the season of the sun. The orc rages against his hunter... I hunt the hunter. The valley beyond the nest of the Hawk. Tonight."

The message led to meeting Gray Fox, who gave us much information, and invited us to join in hunting for the hunter - for the purpose of discovering information, to learn of Marpenoth, ultimately to find his son (and my wife and daughter). This took us into the cave near the Pass, which eventually led down into dwarven ruins which were once a temple of Dugmarin (ooc: one NPC at one point seemed to mention Dumathoin, may require clarification). Here we fought many orcs, and slew a half orc druid shapeshifter in bear form. We also fought several Xorn (which apparently were used for digging) and one hostile fey creature.

We discovered there was a white robed man (a human presumably) with the orcs. He fled before we could stop him into a portal. The portal was not accessible by us. We found prisoners in the place - 2 elves, a dwarf, a gnome, a hin, and rescued them through means of teleportation with the aid of Spellguard Silverlilly and faculty members of the Lady's College. The dwarf gave us more information:

-the prisoners were taken from caravans
-some would be 'chosen', taken away by druidess half orc, never seen again
-the white robed man bought prisoners from the orcs
-he would come and go promising to build the portal
-'stealing Dugmaren's artifice' was involved in making the portal active
-notable is the fact that the dwarf prisoner mentioned 'extra elves' were requested... and there were 2 of them among the prisoners
-this batch of prisoners was scheduled to be 'taken' next apparently, if we hadn't rescued them.

The portal: made of an unusual alloy of silver and steel and something more exotic, covered with etchings of hundreds of spiraling lines, crossing each other without seeming end, and forged in a style akin to elven high magic secured on dwarven stone, with hint of gnomish mechanism, and perhaps more. i.e. seems to be a blend of the arts of the races that composed the mix of prisoners we rescued in that place.

Upon a 2nd, brief expedition with the Avariel Spellguard Swanson to the ruins of Dugmarin we discovered a little more about the portal: it can be used only once per day, it does not seem to require a command word, and it is a one way portal. It is most certainly powered by the crystals behind it, but whether the crystals contain enough power to fuel another trip is unknown.

Gray Fox spoke of Gharfek'taaz - "Feast of the Bloodied Stones", the last day of Marpenoth - the day when the followers of the orc god initiate new shamans in a bloody orgy of violence. This day... will soon be upon us.

There may be other things Gray Fox spoke that I did not hear, due to the distance from where I was speaking with prisoners, while part of the group was studying the portal.

Kythorn
Last edited by Ithildur on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:53 am, edited 10 times in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Marpenoth is here! (TSM info dump/planning)

Post by Ithildur »

Less clear clues and information:

-Results of a casting of Speak with Dead performed by Mistress Ostelle upon the corpse of the half orc bear druid/shaman - the words are extremely vague, cryptic, and some of the words may need to be confirmed by others.

4 questions were asked and answered, some chosen by scholars, some by the Spellguard.
1. Marpenoth's whereabouts: "Over Far"
2. Purpose of caravan attacks: "Feast of Bloodied Stones" - also something about 'the pure' for combat, 'the half' for 'joining'
3. ((ooc here I will need clarification from others/wynna as it was spoken over discord chat rather than typed ingame))
4. ((likewise))
Seemed to be a question about 'who are allies of Marpenoth', with answer along the lines of "Marpenoth is the Bridge between the orcs and the others, and some more words that I did not catch.

Theories that are undoubtedly, or at least almost certainly true:

Someone, or something, is marking individuals from the region for unknown purposes
There are other parties involved other than the orcs; indeed, the orcs, even Marpenoth himself, may simply be a tool this other(s) party is using.
This other party/parties have access to sophisticated lore and magic, far beyond that of ordinary orcs.

Less certain theories:

-'The pure' and 'the half' refers to pure blooded elves and half elves. 'combat' may mean elves are to be used for lethal intent, and 'joining' may mean half elves are used for reproductive purposes.
-The portal can be used as is, if we wish to take it. It simply required a day to recharge.
If not, then possible elements that may be required to recharge the portal are: 'Dugmaren's artifice', the presence or touch (hopefully not the blood or lives, etc) of a dwarf, a gnome, a hin, and one or two elves.
-With the end of Marpenoth/Feat of Bloodied Stones approaching, orc raids/activities may increase - it may be wise to send word to Hawk's Nest and other protectors near the Pass and warnings about travel in general through the Pass.

Possible plans:

-Return to study the portal with the wand of Analyze Portal Spellguard Swanson allowed us to use. Perhaps further information can be gleaned such as where it leads - Indeed, I sensed that a little more knowledge might be gathered if someone more powerful in the Art than myself were present to cast the spell.

-Attempt to use the portal, with guile and subtlety, such as invisibility and disguise spells, illusions, to buy us time and get oriented upon arrival, perhaps scout around, listen, observe, with combat as a last resort. We may do well to remember from time to time the counsel of Gray Fox which he gave just before we entered the cave that led to the dwarven ruins - "When a hunter hunts an unknown prey, he learns first, what he can, before striking at it. He scouts the lair, follows the scent, learns the paths and tracks."

-Alternately, attempt to use portal, fully prepared for combat against whatever awaits on the other side. I would not recommend this method presently.

If we can manage to contact and find Gray Fox, or he finds us, we should most certainly seek to ask him to accompany us.

Seldarine help us all.

Kythorn

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mick
Beholder

Re: Marpenoth is here! (TSM info dump/planning, please add/comment))

Post by Mick »

While T'lisa was waiting for her turn to be conjured back to the city, she spoke briefly with the Xothor. She specifically asked him if he knew if the name Far meant anything to his people. Owing to a sharp mind and good INT roll, she is able to relate, if not understand, his response almost verbatim:

"Far? Far? Yer accent is a bastard t'follow, surfacer, and nae sure I'm hearin ye right in ael this argie-bargie, but if yer askin' aboot 'far', I ken only the Frozen Far, which be far indeed but mebbe hae' a clan or two o' the Inugaakalikurit. O' aye abodie ken that dwarven history has us stonerooted in ancient Semphar. But I nae ken atweel trowth in ael this. Ye ken?"

T'lisa suggests that both the Frozen Far and Semphar be researched.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Perle
Player Admin

Post by Perle »

Jhessi considers T'lisa's suggestions and hits the books, first heading to the College library and checking with Oakroot, and perhaps the Map House afterward. She spares no effort, using spells to aid her focus and intellect as she bends her will to the task of researching: Frozen Far and Semphar.

// PM sent to Wynna via Discord.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Wyverns.
Nether Mountains.
Gray Fox go home.

Search for trail in/around/near Nether Mountains, possible reports of wyvern activity.

Possibly undo whatever ails Gray Fox.

Little Fox, Aewyn, Amny still out there somewhere... hopefully. I must hold on to hope.

I hear there are regions that sell high quality ... substances ... for calming one's nerves and emotions.
(... today after a restless night filled with nightmares I briefly contemplated doing unsavory things - including activities that potentially might necessitate getting rid of a body - to that bald elf that keeps engaging in unsavory activities with the dead...)
I may need to make a trip soon in search of these ... substances, else find a more local buyer.

Kythorn

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

(from the end of last week's CBT'ed session - partly in response to Jhessi's question, but Kythorn speaks loud enough for everyone nearby to hear)

Kythorn's eyes widened as the results of his Detect Magic enhanced examination of the battlefield registered in his mind.

"Illusions... one after another... none of these wyverns are what they seem,"

Kythorn's eyes returned to the one that had tried to carry Begor off.

"Except that one, the one that had an aura of some manner of Enchantment upon it's head. That's a full sized wyvern. The rest are... either barely hatch-lings, glamered to look much larger, or not wyverns at all, but ... bats! Bats made to look like far off wyverns by the use of figment illusions!"

Kythorn also points out that the bundle of weapon Begor carries should be examined, as there were some interesting aura's emanating from some of them. He also notes an item around the neck of the dead orc shaman glowed with magic, along with various potion vials on many of the orcs, and finally seems to eye something else in Begor's possession with an odd look.

As the spell begins to fade, Kythorn stops and looks towards the direction of the spur of rocks that the orcs seemed to be coming from. A crease forms on his forehead as he takes a few steps towards it, muttering half to himself.

"Conjuration... strong. It goes several feet into the ground... I wonder..."

With those words the Elf comes to a sudden stop, then slowly backs up.

Perle
Player Admin

Post by Perle »

As Kythorn finishes casting Detect Magic, her gaze fixes on the lights superimposed over many of the wyverns. She asks Kythorn what he sees (read above).

One wyvern thrashes at her feet, the one that stung her and which Bae'ithra seems to have mortally wounded. It hisses and snaps in Draconic.

Jhessi cocks her head and listens carefully: "It says: "....kill...kill....kill..." "

It exhales its final breath and collapses, The form shifts from a 16-foot-long terrifying wyvern. It is revealed as no more than a hatchling, and a scrawny one missing scales in patches and with a twisted horn that looks congenital rather than due to trauma. It has a blunt snout and a tail with only an unformed barb. One of its feet is withered, and the missing claws smell of rot.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Kythorn's notes written in script that appears notably less erratic than before (copies left in Saerela and Ashera's rooms at Everdusk for now, to be distributed as they see fit until Kythorn decides eventually to leave his wife's bedside):

Aewyn had been afflicted by a Feeblemind spell, a powerful arcane spell that almost completely destroys the mental faculties of it's victim, when we'd found her. Thanks be to the Seldarine and the grace of Corellon Larethian - high priest Waterstill was able to undo the effects, and Aewyn is recovering with much needed rest from her ordeals.

'Little Fox' I suspect might have more helpful information, and is likely found someplace like the Grove of Mielikki if he is still in the Gem.

My daughter Amnestria ... remains missing. She was carried off by a wyvern according to Aewyn. By means of a scroll and mirror provided by Spellguard Swansong, the aid of Saerela's blessings, and virtue of my personal connection to my daughter, I was able to scry upon my daughter, and together with Saerela managed to observe her and her surroundings for some time before the scrying senser was detected (and likely dispelled).

Amny was lying unconscious in a place that seemed underground, after having just been deposited from the mouth of a Xorn onto an unworked floor of rock and dirt. The area seemed to be some sort of ruins with crumbling cylinder shaped structures (or a ruined mine - we observed piles of what appeared to be some variant of iron ingots). Amny lay at the feet of a massive, green skinned orc covered with tatoos: Marpenoth. His identity seems unmistakable, as I cleared heard this brute addressed by name by 2 other orcs.

There was a dead dwarf nearby, appearing to be fairly recently dead (at the very least unconscious and rapidly bleeding to his death), leaning against a wall covered with elven characters ((ooc: seeking clarification about the writing from DM))

The orcs laughed and spoke of a 'laughing human' who delivered Amnestria to Marpenoth as 'tribute' for service rendered by the orcs. Marpenoth intends for Amny to be used... as a 'centerpiece' for his 'ascension'.He addressed the Xorn to return to it's master and convey his satisfaction at the tribute, whereupon the Xorn vanished back into the floor of the place. After this Marpenoth picked up an iron ingot and dropped it down a hole, shortly after which a Xorn (the same one that had just left I presume) reappeared from the floor, and indicated that 'the bargain had been struck' and seemed to ask for further instructions.

At that point one of the other orcs discovered the presence of the scrying sensor and cried out a warning. Within moments the spell came to an end.

What I know so far: wyverns and xorns are being commanded to carry out tasks and attacks above and underground. Someone has command of rather powerful (or at least effective) illusionary magic. There is someone that can cast spells as powerful as Feeblemind (notably from the Enchantment school). What is not clear to me is whether these are all the same individual, or several working together closely.

The 'laughing human' - this name is a mystery to me at the moment. He obviously is commanding the Xorns; it may be the same as the escaped robed man, or someone else entirely. All of the above may be one single individual extremely skilled in the arcane art. Saerela has questioned whether it might be a human at all, and suggested possible ties to the 'Circus' - which is a subject that I know almost nothing about.

The tossing of the sizeable ingot of iron down into the hole is another mystery - clearly it served some nefarious purpose and perhaps conjures to mind images of creatures worse than wyverns and orcs being involved, though it may simply be that the master of the xorns has set up shop deep underground and requires the ingots.

Most importantly, time grows short. Within the tenday the Feast of Bloodied Stones will be upon us, which I expect may coincide with Marpenoth's 'ascension' - which will spell certain and unthinkable doom for my daughter... and likely many, many other innocents.

It has come to this. We must find the ruins where they are holding Amestria. The presence of the dead dwarf may be a vital clue. It may be productive to inquire among the Stout Folk, perhaps the priest of Dugmarin we recently met within the ruins with the portal, or perhaps other contacts with ties to Felbarr, or even Felbarr itself, especially since the wyverns seemed to be coming from further north.

Or it may be that it is finally time to attempt the portal.

There is one more possible option which I will inquire about.

One last note... my name, my real, given name, has been confirmed. I remember now, and my wife has confirmed it.

My name is Kyrie of House Neirdre.
I will find my daughter, and reunite her with her mother. This I swear, upon Corellon's name.
I ask for the help of my friends.

formerly,
Kythorn

erisa
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by erisa »

Ash reads the note and has it copied and goes about having the note delivered to Bae, Bert, Jhessie, Tlisa, Nio, Begor and Hully.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Mick wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:11 pm

"Far? Far? Yer accent is a bastard t'follow, surfacer, and nae sure I'm hearin ye right in ael this argie-bargie, but if yer askin' aboot 'far', I ken only the Frozen Far, which be far indeed but mebbe hae' a clan or two o' the Inugaakalikurit. O' aye abodie ken that dwarven history has us stonerooted in ancient Semphar. But I nae ken atweel trowth in ael this. Ye ken?"

T'lisa suggests that both the Frozen Far and Semphar be researched.
((I'm sure there is an absolutely vital clue that will make or break the entire plot in here somewhere... if only I could understand what in the nine hells was conveyed...))

Kythorn has left an unsealed message to T'lisa and Bae'ithra at the Golden Oak.

"Friends,
If you are able to make contact with the priest of Dugmarin - or other stout folk near the Nether Mountains and surrounds you have ties to - would you inquire of them whether any of their kin have gone missing in the past few days?"

Perle
Player Admin

Post by Perle »

Jhessi spends several days at the Wayward House examining their literature of geography, reading with relish the treatises on regional cultures, and using magic to decipher texts beyond her current linguistic skills.

She includes the results of her research in a letter, addressed to T'lisa.

"My dancing friend, I have completed a rather exhaustive look at the Frozen Far and Semphar, per your suggestions. The entirety of my research is included here, in hopes that we can stay the bloodbath that Marpenoth seems to promise. Share this with whomever you feel it is most appropriate.

Scholar Jhessi Kross, assistant to Master Gasen

Frozenfar

The Frozenfar was the coldest, most remote region of the North. It comprised the Spine of the World mountains;[2][3] the frigid lands to the north and west; including Icewind Dale, the Cold Run, the icebergs of the Sea of Moving Ice, and the northeasternmost part of the Trackless Sea.

Usage

The Frozenfar did not have definable boundaries. The term "Frozenfar" was used by people across Faerûn to include various areas. For example in Amn and the Inner Sea, the term "Frozenfar" referred to the city of Mirabar and everything north, including the Spine of the World mountains.[6] Sometimes the term "Frozenfar" also included the island of Ruathym.[7]

However in the North, the term "Frozenfar" referred only to the lands north of the Spine of the World.[6] That was among the most commonly accepted usage.[3][8]

Yet others used "Frozenfar" to refer to all the lands of the North within which individuals could literally freeze to death during their travels.[4]

Geography

The Frozenfar reached the northern peaks of the Spine of the World and extended northwest through the Sea of Moving Ice.[9] It stretched as far east as the Reghed Glacier.[10]

Geographical features
Cold Run

The Cold Run encompassed the icy tundras west of the Iron Trail and extended all the way to the Sword Coast. It was bordered to the south by the Iceflow river, and to the north by the Shaengarne.[5]

Landmarks

Fireshear Vale: Comprising a deep chasm and its adjoining crater, the origin of this landmark was debated by the sages of Faerûn.[5]
Ironmaster Vale: The dwarves of this valley barred any but their kind entrance within.[5]

Settlements

Auckney: This impoverished town of farmers received few visitors and even fewer ships from the other towns of the North.[11]
Fireshear: The port city was run by a trio of merchants that had financial holdings in the cities of Mirabar, Neverwinter and Waterdeep.[5]
Ironmaster: Founded and run by dwarves, this mining city had tunnels that went deep beneath the Frozenfar.[12][5]

Icewind Dale

The tundra of Icewind Dale was named after the freezing winds and snowstorms that blew down from the mountain of Kelvin's Cairn.[13]

Features

Dwarven Valley: This great valley was home to the dwarves of Clan Battlehammer.[14]
Kelvin's Cairn: Legend stated that this lonely mountain was made of stones piled atop the resting place of the frost giant Kelvin.[9][15]
Lac Dinneshere: These tranquil waters allowed locals to glean insight about upcoming lulls and storms.[16][17]
Maer Dualdon: The was the largest and deepest of the dale's three lakes[16][17][18]
Shaengarne: This icy river flowed down from Maer Dualdon into the Sea of Moving Ice.[16][19]
Redwaters: The smallest lake earned its name from a bloody battle that erupted between two of the nearby towns.[20][16]

Settlements

Ten Towns: The confederacy of Ten Towns comprised nine settlements situated around the dale's three lakes, along with the mercantile hub of Bryn Shander.[21]

Northeast Trackless Sea

The northeast of the Trackless Sea bordered the Sea of Moving Ice. This was immediately west of the Cold Run was considered to be part of the Frozenfar.[21]

Landmarks

Ice Peak Island: This frozen isle, located just off the coast of the Cold Run,[21] southwest of the Sea of Moving Ice, housed the settlements of Aurilssbarg,[22] Bjorn's Hold,[22] and Icewolf.[23]

Sea of Moving Ice

The waters north of the Cold Run and west of Icewind Dale were densely filled with hundreds of shifting icebergs and a number of frozen isles. It was sparsely populated and accommodated only a handful of landmarks and few inhabitants, like ice trolls and tribes of Ice Hunters.[24][25]

Landmarks

Tower of the Ice Witch: The sanctuary of the Ice Witch of Auril was constructed from black ice that held residual magic from the Crenshinibon.[26]

Settlements

Svardborg: This old frost giant village was abandoned for many years before being reclaimed by Jarl Storvald.[27]

Spine of the World

By most accounts, the Spine of the World mountains encompassed the southern reaches of the Frozenfar.[2] These massive peaks seperated the Frozenfar from the warmer lands to the south.[5]

Landmarks

Frost Hills: These rugged hills were found on the southern stretch of the Spine of the World.[28]

Settlements

Hundelstone: This community of dwarves and gnomes was located in the mountains on the Ten Trail.[5]
Kuldahar: Formed around the Great Oak, the mountain village was associated with the deity Silvanus.[29]
Mithral Hall: The famous dwarfhold was located deep beneath Fourthpeak in the Frost Hills.[30]

Semphar

Semphar was the mightiest nation in the Hordelands.[1] It was a satrap of the Tuigan Khahan.

Semphar strove to be independent but was subjugated by four different realms in its history, specifically the Imaskari, Mulhorand, the Shou Lung and most recently the Tuigan. This subjugation though, guaranteed that Semphar gained several beneficial cultural aspects.

History

The first dwarves in Faerûn settled beneath Semphar.[2]

Geography

Semphar was known for its ruins, lost tombs, and strange monsters. Bordering it were the ruins of Raudor and Bhaluin, the dark forest of the Shalhoond, and the monsters of the Howling Gap. Perhaps there are even more wonders to be found throughout the land.

Trade

Trade in Semphar was based mostly around the caravans that passed through the nation along the Silk Road, as well as the rich agriculture of its lands.[1]

Notable Inhabitants:
(Empty)
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Kythorn leaves a note with Ansha at her dorm requesting the commissioning of 2 scrolls of Dimension Door, in preparation for the upcoming plans to crash the Feast of Bloodied Bones.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Additional notes/update from Kythorn (this memo seems to have been written in haste):

Little Fox is gone, having departed the region most likely for his homelands. He left bearing a great burden of regret and remorse, feeling that he failed his duty to protect my spouse and daughter, though he paid a great price in the loss of one of his hands.

He spoke of himself and I both being marked - presumable with markings like the one I found on my arm representing different seasons/cycles of the year (along with Marpenoth). His words were that we were marked 'for battle' and 'taken away from our ancestors'. It's unclear to me exactly what either of these mean at the moment. Nevertheless I intend to be prepared for the worst if need be.

Before departing, he gave some vital information regarding the pair that abducted my daughter Amnestria - a beautiful, blue eyed woman who wore a veil, and a man who laughed frequently (which seems to fit the description of the 'laughing man' Marpenoth mentioned in my scrying attempt). Both rode away with my daughter on wyverns, in a clearly northern direction. Based on the earlier scrying, it seems clear that at some point the man delivered my daughter - to Marpenoth.

Expect one or both of them (unless they have other allies with arcane talents) to be effective with illusions and enchantments, capable of putting to sleep the unsuspecting (non elves most likely). They also have wyverns and xorn under their command.

Shortly after the departure of Little Fox a meeting took place with the Dean of Lady's College and the Avariel Spellguard Swanson. In summary:

1. many of us have been recognized (and will be rewarded) by the grateful town of Auvandell, in spite of politics-based tensions between Sundabar (which seems to have oversight of Auvandell) and Felbarr against Silverymoon.

2. the threat of the Feast of Bloodied Bones is now recognized as a wider threat to the denizens of the entire Marches. This event seems to be much bigger in scope than perhaps we'd anticipated, with lives from all over the region potentially at risk.

3. the location of the place Saerela and I saw during the scrying is now known. It is apparently part of the remains of an ancient Elven kingdom called Occidian, and the location is known to the Spellguard and the Dean (it was apparently the subject of a previous Dean's quest to find remains of said kingdom).

4. to meet this threat of the Feast and a large scale massacre (or worse) there will be a complex multi pronged campaign planned for the anticipated day. We will play a part in this day as an 'unofficial', non military detachment due to the political tensions between the cities - the details of which are to be discussed shortly.

dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

After the long meeting at the Lady's College, Hully Tosscobble purchased a heavy parchment and ink set. With T'Lisa looking over his shoulder in the back booth in a quiet tavern, the halfling attempted to sketch a map using the best of his recollections for his travels in the "Deep Unders" beneath the mountains many years ago.

He nodded, slightly disappointed, looking over the final product.

"Well. More holes than I might've thunk... but seven or eight years gets behind ye and the mind goes foggy. I don't know anything 'bout no Occidian or no archeology dig. But mayhaps we can find some folks who know the lore a bit better to fill it in."
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Perle
Player Admin

Post by Perle »

After receiving a copy of the map from T'lisa, Jhessi Kross pores over it, looking for any inkling of detail she recognizes from her trip months ago to the Occidian ruin in search of a Xorn's essence. Her dorm room at the College is sparse compared to some of the wealthier students. Having arrived here with Bertilak with nothing but the clothes on their back, she has risen far indeed. The cost of attending the Lady's College has nearly bankrupted her and Bertilak. His faith in her ability, and his investment in her education weigh heavily on her as she studies.

An odd assemblage of trinkets are arranged on a corner of her desk, but a closer inspection by any student who has advanced their studies realizes they display the success of her hard work. A broken shard of a mirror is arranged to best display a beautifully crafted wand of twisted metals and glowing gems, which lightly hums with illusion magic. The refraction of light illuminates other items on the table: A bar of transmuted steel, a humanoid skull, a toy drum. A shard of black obsidian is within arm's reach. Now and again she reaches for it and touches the slick stone. It is warm to the touch, and from the corner of her eye she sees a smiling Master Clarvue. She smiles back and brushes a lock of auburn hair behind an ear as she again bends to the task.

A lump of twisted metal slag is the centerpiece of her desk — a position of honor and evidence of her failure at one of her lessons. The honored placement of this trinket suggests a deliberate philosophical choice, one that values the lessons of failure over the triumph of success as a motivator for higher learning.

She gathers the results of her research so far from their previous venture to Occidian and approaches Registrar Serapheena to ask a question, as she was instructed to do rather than disturning Master Gasen or Spellguard Swanson.

Her query: Where are the ruins of Occidian compared to the rest of the locations on this map? She asks if a previous adventuring group had left a map of the ruins that she can refer to during her upcoming trip to aid the upcoming assault against Marpenoth. If necessary she approaches Librarian Oakroot with the same questions.