A tale of adventure...the North

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 03 DM

Dorn
Haste Bear

A tale of adventure...the North

Post by Dorn »

(IC post for views and DM feedback for the http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... 57&t=51548 sessions if you'd like to meet up please feel free to post in the linked organisation thread - no level limits)
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Dorn
Haste Bear

Re: A tale of adventure...the North

Post by Dorn »

An arrival at settlestone:
dergon darkhelm wrote:A small party of adventures came up from Rivermoot to Settlestone at the behest of Marshall Kardallion.
Arizma, Brandr, Lili, and Bhaer arrived to find the place under construction.
Wynna wrote:The Faenor of Berronar of Settlestone greeted you with surprise and happiness. They've long felt that the Marches had forgotten them, once the wider threat to the region had been taken care of. "Aye, laddie, it's been so long that we've had outlanders or traders even up this way, we thought we'd dropped off the mortal plane o' existence. 'Tis good to know the old pass from the southern cities be open again. Ye're welcome in Settlestone. We're a quiet town now, and plan on keepin' it that way, but mayhap with the trade routes active again, we can be gettin' the buildin' supplies we need up this way. Who knows what we can build ourselves up to again after that? Or what opportunities come with it?"
Dorn wrote:The young Knights recruit Brand noted what the King said. His place was not to question the Knights or Legions strategy, but having a goodly dwarf lord rail against the poor support from the Marches put him ill at ease. He would relay the information to his sergeant.
maxcell wrote:Lili spent the days in their time of visit, speaking with the Faenor when time permitted to discuss the gods, faith, and offer what aid they would accept from her if it was only to lend a hand with any sick or linens needing washed.
dergon darkhelm wrote:"It could to make it 'ere, Faenor. These longleggers got command from some Legion feller or such. I just had a hankerin' to see kin and take in fer meself what I heard in rumors.

An' shards! It be fine work ye'r doing here.

We knew Mithril Hall sent axes to take the Fourth Peak fort when the longleggers got overrun. I wouldda figgered that they'd have sent sorties up this ways when the war settled.

I'll bring werd down to the Vale. And I'll be making up the Pass for Citadel Felbarr soon too, if there be any words need brought to Warcrown."
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Three tendays at Fourthpeak was about as much as Brandts fingers could stand. He desperately wanted to feel them again.

Hrafen chortled as he fumbled again with his backpack. "Go on then lad get back to yer warm river"

"I will. And I'll speak to the Legion on my way and the Knights when I return about aid. Now i've seen what the dogs and orcs across the valley are doing...and the King in Settlestone asks to reforge connection to the Marches, i'm sure they will listen"

He hoped..he was only a recruit after all and didn;t know if there were spare men or what the ability to send aid to every remote corner of the wild north was. He didn't know if Sgt Shatterstave would congratulate him for surpassing his mission of resilience and resourcefulness...or if he'd be sent packing from the knights for not returning to the Gem at once.

He looked across and smiled as Lili bent own to embrace one of the dwarves. Brand had done what he could to help on patrols and skirmishes. And of course with Lili, Dahr and the warrior Darius they had put a reasonable dent in the Gnolls forces, and the threat of undead, saving the dwarves from raids for a while.

But while the dwarves now waved and grinned to him rather than the initial steely glares, they were clearly fond of Lili. Most were. They didn't have a cleric at this time and her attentions to wounded and general good nature...even in the face of their gruff and sometimes rude persons....seems to have won them over a little.

Soon he and Lili were on the road under the light of her mistress. A warm fireplace at Rivermoot, and then the glow of dawns blessing at Rhyster Matins. Not an army of goblins on the pass would stop him from getting to that.
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

Selune's silvery glow was masked by a low, thick blanket of rain clouds this evening. In the distance, faint flashes in the sky indicated a storm was on it's way.
Lili looked from the distant lights back down to the road from her perch in the sturdy watchtower just inside Rivermoots outer wall.
As she had done for nearly two tendays now, she stared peering down the road leading out, searching for the twinkle of a torch or lantern. Her hands found a familiar spot on the railing, where nervousness had caused her to pick the edge clean of any loose splinters of wood to a near crescent shape.
Once again the voices of the two archers on duty near the road, calling back to the gates that "all's well" drew her eyes for but a moment, and once hearing the gates reply, quickly turned back down the road.
Brandt had left. To return to Silverguard Fortress in Silverymoon and report his actions and findings. To persuade, if he could, the guard to increase patrols and presence in Fourthpeak and it's surrounds. He felt beholden to since serving himself in the region, he had told her. "I'll return shortly, Lili and perhaps we can carry good news back up to the Dwarves"
That was more than 3 tendays ago, nearer to 4, and she was worried.
Once again the distance lights flashed in the sky, and some moments later, a low rumble reached her ears.
Biting her lip a final time for the night, Lili let out a long sigh, feeling that the night was closing on dawn and her tiredness finally outmatched the knot of anxiousness in her chest.
She knew what she had to do, to settle her mind. "They have assigned him another duty, I am sure of it" She thought to herself as she climbed down the tower's ladder to the ground with the help of Eldon, the night's guard posted at the base of the tower.
Before collapsing in her bed back inside the safety of the town and the inn istelf, she composed a short but concise note. She would leave it with Myrtle and his wife in the morning, before she bought passage on the ferry to Silverymoon. She would go directly to the Silverguard fortress and find out what had delayed Brandt.
Dear Brandt, if you are reading this then our travels have just missed....
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

"I am sorry. I know the two of you were friends of a sort."

Nathaniel knew of course. The loss of a person who took his mission to aid the Marches beyond the walls and into the wilds was not uncommon. But the failure of Brandt to return after so long, and the letter from the priestess of the Moonmaiden seeking news, confirmed within reason the fate of his sometime friend and room mate at Rhyster Matins. "Yes Sir. Brandt was a good man. We had...much in common both here and in our training for the Knights."

The Dawnspeaker looked at him closely, studying almost. "Indeed. There is something about the both of you..." he then waved it away. "Do not mourn Brandt, Nathaniel. Our Lord has embraced his soul. And From death...", he gestured Nathaniel, "..life. "

"I understand from Father Douglas that you still chafe to follow his path to a more...active prosecution of the Morninglords will beyond Silverymoon.

"Yes Lord." he said simply. "I feel it is my path to do our Lords work, and my duty to Silverymoon and the Marches." The dawnspeaker frowned ever so slightly slightly at Nathaniels talk of duty, he always did, but then smiled as he continued.

"It speaks well of your devotion that you have resisted that urge and given yourself the time to revel in dawns glory and inspiration. I both feel and see your love of our Lord plainly writ on your soul now., the Dawnspeaker continued, "You are truly become his soldier"

"I've spoken to the Knights, Nathaniel, and we are agreed. You are capable in both arms and in soul to now aid this grand new endeavour of the Silver Marches best by looking beyond the church and training ground and into the dangers facing good folk beyond. We both feel that the excellent reports from allies across the Marches from the small band Brandt had taken up with warrants continued support and that perhaps you are the person to do so at this time. Of course as a Knightly aspirant you will need to discuss with your commander in the Knights in Silver how a wider role will fit with your continued training, but you may take my blessing to leave your studies here at Rhysters for this gallant purpose."

Nathaniel nodded but said little. So pleased to be able to now do what he had felt ready for for so long.

"Go now with the Dawns blessing, and speak with your Commander, and then find this lady of the moon and her companions and embrace this new beginning for your life. Last word, she was in the town of Rivermoot....." he handed Nathaniel the letter.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

My Lords Dawnspeaker and Sergeant Shatterstave,

I have met with and delivered the sad news to the comrades of friend Brandt.

I am honoured that they then accepted my offer of assistance, on behalf of the Knights, as a poor replacement for Brant in their noted efforts to aid the western Marches.

We completed a thorough sweep of the Rivermoot foothills clearing nuisances to this outpost. We will continue to respond to needs here, or may venture to the east as word has come from High Hold of troubles.

An unusual company we made Sirs. But seemingly effective, and though their motivations vary a common commitment to assist the people rings true from them.

I believe the group would consider tasks that may address your own interests in areas where the coverage of the Knights is limited.

Marshalls at both Rivermoot and Highhold have agreed to relay any orders and/or requests from the city.

In dawns clear light,
Nathaniel
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Brokenbone wrote:An elderly fellow, looking out of place girded for battle and darker complected than the locals, makes claim in Rivermoot's square that the overwatch near Fourthpeak is without defenders. "This one is aware," he ventures, "that your Legion folk or other warriors ought sit sentry there. Yet in my own trekking, paths crossed with a warband of batiri-kin rather than men ready to share fire and food. They were not suffered to live, but what fate the original defenders, this one cannot say. That overwatch is anyone's for the taking right now, as I chose bear word back here rather than stand lone vigil."
dergon darkhelm wrote:"Aye. The Fourth Peak be o'errun. We came up wit' a a few blades an' were able to kill off the three score or so goblins an' shagshamans that held it.
We found one o' Bruenor's Mithril Hall guard felled by a number of arrows. As for the rest o' the Gutbusters an' Hrafen Jye an' that orcblood she seem so fond of?
*the dwarf shakes his head*
I be prayin' the All-Father found 'em safe to Mithril Hall or Dwarvendharrow. Ifn they be captured or stuck out in the wilds among the horde ....
*he shakes his head again and trails off with a frown*
*Nathaniel pats Bhaer on the shoulder recognising the dwarfs bond with kin, then looks about the table to Lili, Dahr and the others*

"If the goblins have retaken fourthpeak, even after Commander Ironbeard company pushed them back, then perhaps they're not just a roving band. They must be being fed from somewhere.

"I spent some time around a map at the temple of the Red Knight in Highold talking with the Knight-Quartermaster about this threat.

*unrolls a crude drawn map copy*

"It seems that there are only three passes into the Fourthpeak area. The path to Rivermoot, to Settlestone, and through the high glacier. Assuming Settlestone is still held, and they are not coming from rivermoot, that leaves the high glacier...or some tunnel underground..for a way in. The only ones I know of are the caverns under the waterfall to the north of the outpost where we fought the undead Lili and Dhar, and the strange dwarf-cut door at the base of the ravine in the pass from Rivermoot to fourthpeak..though someone has said there is another at the peak of the mountain to the north of the Outpost.

"Perhaps we try to flank them, avoiding frontal assault, to these places and see if we can find their source? I'm sure then Commander Ironbeard and others of greater skill than us, you excepted master Bhar, can focus a stronger assault on that place?

((OOC planning - http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/vie ... 68#p624168))