In Glory to Sune

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 03 DM

orangetree
Dungeon Master

In Glory to Sune

Post by orangetree »

Within the temple, an unknown halfling would smile as she feels another inspiration.

"Those that live in this city often do not see the beauty before them. To this end, and to encourage the arts, I would like to invite anyone to provide a piece of poetry or art, on something in the city of silverymoon that has inspired them. Please bring it into the temple, and unleash your creativity knowing Sune will adore you with affection. You need not be a worshipper, but consider it an invitation to let our beautiful goddess into your heart for even a day."

"To start things, here is my contribution: A humble poem on the moonbridge that everyone uses, but often do not truly 'see'. Upon the hills, near the catacombs, a place of death, I was caught in a curious juxtaposition of seeing the most beautiful sight of this bridge. This is a poem in glory to Sune's ally, Selene, may she also help be a light in the night, and in the warmth of friendship with Abel standing next to me on hallowed earth."

Hands of stars that shine a bridge
glittering bow, a rain of moons
to make selene smile, from dusk to dawn
to let none fall, upon showers of silver.

Do you feel pressed upon by gentle feet.
As we transport our rock ice and sleet,
To move from north south west and East,
and always reaching the street

Take a pause and stand still
Upon the bow of the moon
Let your wings sore,
you can never fall.

((Any and all arts welcome in reply))
Last edited by orangetree on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Re: In Glory to Sune

Post by CloudDancing »

*a red hair resident, opens an ancient book, the guidebook to the Sunite Knighthood, and scribes this copy:*
Prayer to Sune
Sune, glorious and beautiful, I beg you!
Don't, my sweet Lady, with pains and harsh torments
Lay your silken lash upon my poor spirit,
But rather turn your radiant countenance
To me, and smile upon me.

If you ne'er again hear my pleadings, now
Come unto me! Hasten down bright ether's paths
Fly o'er the world's black bosom; banish night
To stand before me in sudden brilliance,
Goddess, O loving Goddess!

Glowing face alight with your smile, you ask me
What I suffer, who was the cause of anguish.
What hurt tears at your heart, my dear child? you ask.
What would ease the pain of my frantic mind, and
Why have I called you to my side.

I long to lay my weariness before you.
Come to me once more, and abate my torment;
Take the bitter care from my mind, and give me
All I long for; Lady, in all my battles
Fight as my comrade.[1]
1] Adapted from E. Vandiver's translation of Sappho's Hymn to Aphrodite (http://www.stoa.org/diotima/anthology/vandiver.shtml)
http://amiawiki.shatuga.com/index.php/S ... er_to_Sune
(I would note that TSM is rather slow lately, BG might be a better place to catch more RP with players. Also Moonshaes has a temple to Sune.)
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

The unknown halfling looks at the poem. There is a certain curiosity about it, and she appreciates the strength and flow of the words used.

"This poem epitomises the beauty in strength... it is a pity there is no name ascribed to it though, nor did it follow the actual stipulation of the goal... to find something specific in silverymoon to write of. However it is certainly worthy of study, to examine how Sune is perceived."

The curious halfling reads it over again a few times. "I am.. uncertain that the first few sentences can 'truly' be ascribed to Sune. I must research the theology more, however... would the pain and torments be the reaction to an unreachable or perceived unattainable goal? Or a concern that the goddess will not shine upon 'mere mortal'? Such presumptions can be self fulfilling.. there is no reason she would not, but fear is one of our mortal failings."

The halfling continues to read it. "I am uncertain how best to gauge how much effort has been placed into it. But let us keep it for further study."

((I appreciate letting me know, but I think until I get some companions I'm rather stuck here ;) ))
Last edited by orangetree on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Today I found beauty in the number 1, as I passed by the tower of balance. I asked myself... why a tower? Why not a simple walled building as others? Then it came to me... for balance must mean 'oneness', and the use of a tower made such complete sense! From a distance, it appears as the number one.

As a reward for such grand symbolism, I invoke this poetry to the Temple of Balance.

Whispered as many, yet all are whole
The facility of understanding,
can come from this behold.
Oh joy in this oneness.

What do I start from to seek this light
Why do you seem as powerful as a spike
To this tower I do aspire,
What do I reach, when I climb higher?

Oneness seems infinite, when seem from bellow
A number that returns unto itself.
To strike the balance,
Of heart body and soul

The tower of Silverymoon.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

At the Golden Oak inn a young bardess has been preforming, most times withotu pay.
She has been drawing the attention of young noble suiters who often visit the inn.
One of her favorite song's is named "Lady of Love and Beauty".
the repeating chorus (that changes from time to time) is romoured to be go along those lines:

"In the flow of a king's cloak
upon the smile of the poorest chield
under the falling yellow and brown of autumn
and with the softness of a lover's touch

in the gentle hum of rain drops
in the mighty roar of a river
in the warmth of cozy homes
and in the chill of a snowy night

in the soft sound of meldoy's song
in the thunder of a dragon's roar
in the the cry of a yearning baby
and in the groan of lovers sigh

there's no place in which she's absent
there's no place she could not be
all you need is to see her presence
and even sorrow would taste sweet"
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

The unknown halfling smiles at the song as she listens from her room. Unable to to restrain herself, she quickly dresses (Forgetting to style her hair this one time) and quickly goes to hear the rest of it in person. once over she claps.

"Eloquent, and masterful. Your words are honey upon this city. They not only capture the city's geography, but the mindset of her people, and the embrace of the Goddess. Please, take this coin as an appreciation from the temple of sune, oh beautiful muse."

*she gives the bardess 50 coins*
Last edited by orangetree on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

The Secret Garden of the South

As I wondered around silverymoon, I found a most interesting sight. A garden kept hidden from too many prying eyes, with a pond that glistened as star fire. It lies to the furthest south of the Jewel. Guarding this area, was an imposing statue of one of the Gods, of the Selderine perhaps? However the marker on it had faded, and I could not be sure who it represented. So It has become a nameless guardian...

One of the things I like about this city is that one can take reclusive paths and be rewarded by such sights, without fear of attack for humble curiosity. This poem is dedicated to the beauty of this ever watchful statue, and the place of beauty she has placed her gaze upon. I hope it will inspire skilled statue repairs for generations.

To walk the treaded path my eyes do wonder,
and perchance a trip away without blunder
In this I do seek the journey,
without breaking my body.

Oh guardian of the garden,
thank you for this sight
You have protected beauty,
And humbled this sunite.

as I gaze upon waters of fire,
Glistening as tree without pyre,
The warmth of your shadow,
as I touch your crumbling dust,

Let me clense you with renewal,
Beautiful watcher of the glen,
So that others might see,
the role you have played.

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

The Temple in silverymoon, on looking at their coffers will realise someone has donated a total of 820 gold coins single handedly.

If approached on why she has made such grand donations she would say:

"My poetry is not exactly well prosed, much as I do try in Her name. I can not complete the trials desired, as I am not built for battle... but I was fortunate to gain coin in following Sune's trail of beauty in my travels. Weapons and Items will not protect me in this world, only Sune and her followers showed me any love in my life... what is coin compared to that?" She would then look confused, wondering if she had done something wrong. All temples needed money in Amn, the richer the more powerful they were...

... had she sinned in some way? Was the temple going to.. reject her, after acknowledging her lack of skill?
Last edited by orangetree on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Following her interaction with the priestess, the unknown halfling realises she had erred on this. In Amn, it was expected for one to pay money into a temple when praying. A god's blessing was paid for and it was a natural thing there. But she was not in Amn, and this was simply not the way here. The feelings of guilt for previous transgressions had also increased her donations of late, and distracted her from the true calling of Sune- to simply spread beauty.

She apologises, hoping she did not insult the church in some way, and felt very foolish. She insists that she just wants to serve Sune, but not being a warrior, or priest, nor good at poetry she doesn't know how else to serve aside from providing gold...

The priestess sends her to the Hammer and Helm, to try and help the patrons there discover beauty again. She goes there, and upon seeing the inn, and the bones scattered about, the harsh language in the air...

... she wonders just how and where to start.
Last edited by orangetree on Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

The question to know what said,
The answer to questions asked,
What is my nature to the stars
The Element I am made from.

Fire Fire, Burning so hot.
My skin Blisters and peels
The touch of you would kill,
But I find you oh so beautiful

Fire I am not.

Water water, you quinch my thirst.
Too much of you and I would drown
I can not swim so deep,
as I can not breathe your scent

Water I am not.

Earth Earth, I was born from so am I not you?
But to dust I scatter, and into tombs.
Urogalon's embrace, Earth can be hollow
But true Earth, is a coffin of sorrows.

Earth I am not.

Wind Wind, I breathe your form
Jealously I wish, to climb your currents
To be as a bird and fly in your embrace
But I can only fall, fall, and fall...

Wind I am not.

What is my Element I wonder so,
If there is none in this world
That from which I be formed