Once more into the Darkness...

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 03 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Once more into the Darkness...

Post by Ithildur »

((During DM Viigas' campaign with the elves in the Underdark about a year ago we started an IC thread that turned out to be quite fun for everyone involved and a good way to progress the story without having to have everyone logged on at the same time (especially difficult to do with half the folks being Euros). It also served as a way to ICly discuss details that might be better discussed via forum posts than ingame. So, I'd like to start this off again! We'll see how it turns out this time.

The scene would be in or around the cave we stopped to camp at this past sunday...

And yes, this is 'comic book time'd))

Finally...

Aglaril nodded with satisfaction as the last of the crimson stain on his armor and cloak was cleansed by the cantrip. This wasn't the first time he'd performed the ritual of course, but the amount of blood this time had been far greater than usual...

His own blood.

"Has it been so long, that I've forgotten?" thought the Elf to himself with a snort, even as he chided himself silently for miscalculating this day's turn of events. He had saved his spells and wards for the larger foes he'd expected to face in the heart of Frost Giant territory; he'd also underestimated the ferocity of the last two remaining orcs when he lowered his guard to go on the offensive, attempting to finish them off quickly... and sloppily. The result had been a grim reminder that, luck or no, elite members of Obould's scattered Horde were not to be trifled with.

The Elf looked out into the cold darkness. The nightsky in the North could be beautiful at times, especially when the moon and starlight shone dimly upon snow covered landscape like a silent song, and magical protection provided a degree of comfort against the bitter cold.

Aglaril took in the view and savored it in his mind, his chest rising and falling as he took in a deep breath quietly. He would hold on to this memory dearly, for he knew the sensation of being deprived of sun and sky for an extended period of time, the trading of moon and stars for hard stalactites and stalagmites, hope for darkness, dread, depths, and danger.

Protector, do not let it be like my previous trips below. Let the brother be found swiftly, and the task accomplished soon... not days upon days of wandering, searching, hiding, and fighting.

As he silently mouthed the prayer, Aglaril's hand moved to the scroll case where the parchments were kept. He then turned back towards the camp, watching the group; no less than nine, no, ten altogether, most resting or asleep at the moment. Many he did not know well, but he took comfort in the fact that a skilled elven scout was present in Gwindor, and Merry... the thought of Merry brought a smile to his face briefly.

The reality of the situation returned to his thoughts as he looked over the rest of the group, and he could not help wonder silently who among the ten might not be returning. Quite possibly himself, if he made mistakes like the ones he made this day...

They were soon venturing into the Underdark.

Aglaril took a few steps back towards the group and looked discretely to see whether Gwindor or Merry (or any others) were awake.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Once more into the Darkness...

Post by Ithildur »

((apparently everyone else is/was asleep!)) :?

Aglaril opened the case and examined the parchments, relying his innate ability to see even in dim light. After a few minutes, a small crease formed on his brow, he shook his head as if in doubt or uncertainty, and slipped them back into the container, which in turn disappeared into his slightly magical bag.

Quietly opening the latch of the tiny container attached to his belt, Aglaril slipped a minute piece of jerky inside as he quietly spoke coaxing commands in a language known only to himself and the hearer. The diminutive creature inside looked up at him sleepily at first, stretching his wings drowsily, then folding them several times while yawning. Finally looking at Aglaril with eager understanding, he chewed on the foodbit, and soon flew out with silent, agile flap of his wings. He seemed glad of the night and the opportunity to stretch his wings, glad for the shared spell which protected from the cold, as he took full flight and circled above the cave's entrance.

"Stretch your wings, Rayne, but do not go far,"

Aglaril relaxed somewhat and returned to the others, knowing the chance of being surprised by danger had decreased significantly.

[youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z0MyQUCcnY[/youtube]

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Settling into a somewhat comfortable location, Aglaril offers various pieces of bread and jerky to the group.

"We need to keep our strength up,"

Taking a sip from his waterskin, the Elf asks a question with keen interest.

"Did anyone recognize that large and shadowy ... thing we just fought?"

((before the fight rolled knowledge religion 10, if it was undead, figured it's not high enough. Aglaril very much would like to know what it was!))

wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

*looks at Aglaril, then speaks softly*

If you're interested cousin, we can fill you in on what we know of Norrick and his folk.
  • Currently NWN1 ALFA: Ryld Ky'bler
    Currently NWN2: Gwindor Faelivrin, still not actually dead!

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Merry told me a few things, but I'd be quite interested in that as well Gwindor," the Elf nodded as he chewed on a piece of dried apple. "Last thing we need is a potentially treacherous group that knows we're down here, while we deal with drow, undead, and the like."

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

((hoping this thread kills 2 birds with one stone; one of it's purposes is to have an IC way to make a few things move along a bit smoother OOC and IC, though we're doing decent so far! :) I expect things to get a bit hairier soon though... unless I'm mistaken we're not even in the Underdark yet. ))

The Dhaerow and the walking dead were slain, and it seemed as if there would be no reinforcements... for the time being at least. However, the end of the battle did not put Aglaril at ease as he looked about the chamber they found themselves in, with it's grisly contents in plain view: it was plainly a workshop for the purpose of creating more undead.

Forcing himself to ignore the humanoid remains, the Elf turned to the group, silently assessing as best as he could whether anyone was seriously injured. After a while he spoke quietly.

"The battle was well fought, all of you. We've a bit of respite perhaps... which I would like to take advantage of, to recap and make some recommendations."

"We cannot afford to pause for long debates before each battle down here; even if the enemy is unaware of us and we are aware of them, it is pressing our luck. We must have cool headed efficiency if we are to deal with the likes of the Drow and possibly worse. While we do not have time for tactical drills and must forge some tactics as we go along, I suggest we have default approaches to choose from, upon which we can improvise as needed."

"Dealing with melee oriented foes is simple enough; if possible seek a chokepoint, and attempt to divert and focus their attacks mostly on myself. Without boasting I can say plainly that they will find me more difficult to hit than any among us even without wards. This should help us conserve healing resources...

"The most dangerous groups.. with spellcasters... I would recommend stealthed or invisible (though enemy casters may see through Invisibility) archers target spellcasters, delaying their fire until Penrose and I are seen by the foes and attacked. Ideally, the result is that they can snipe and disrupt spells and take down their target quickly, while not being harried by the others who are too busy attacking us. This should also leave our own casters unbothered to operate, at least for a while... though I would prefer someone hanging back slightly in reserve in case foes break off to target them or anyone else gets in trouble.

"The risk is someone being spotted prematurely as we just saw, quite possible against creatures of the Underdark with keen senses; it may be that the archers have only seconds to position themselves. It may be that stealth will simply fail against some creatures, and the rest of us react quicky... though if at all possible under the effect of a Haste spell.

"As for scouting, it would help if the initial report is thorough while being concise... having one report what they see, then sending another back to the same location for fear the first missed important details, is far too risky with the likes of drow or fishmen that possess keen senses... Against such foes, I urge great discretion from the scouts... We may face a few creatures that have far keener senses than those on the surface, or magical means of detection. We'll need to constantly be ready for battle in case our scouts are discovered, more so than on the surface.

"Finally, post battle...I recommend we delegate specific tasks and carry them out quickly and efficiently whenever possible: Horatio and Gwindor to secure our perimeter and listen for foes while Merry searches or deals with traps, I'll walk by the walls in case of secret doors, Arizma or ... *somewhat hesitent* Biddle ... detect magic, and so forth. Noteworthy input from anyone on the foes we just faced, their observed tactics, spells could prove useful. Any thoughts?"

Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

"As for scouting, it would also be good if The Elf would also inform the group that he has been through this exact complex before we waste time wondering which way we should go and what might lie ahead." Arizma would be keen to know how much of this area he has seen specifically.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Be sensible, maiden," Aglaril replied calmly. "I've not been in this place in some time, and it was with a ranger who took charge of pathfinding. It was my first time venturing below, and I was... inexperienced, and too consumed with other matters to presume to impinge on someone else' skillset as we passed through this, and a myriad of other places beyond counting. I doubt anyone knows every detail of the places we ventured through, and as I've said early on, it's likely that many things have changed. There were no signs of Drow, for instance, during my previous passage through here.

"Nor will my previous visit here ensure I know where our path lies, especially if I have no idea where our destination is. However if Merry is in doubt of the way, I will take the opportunity to study her map in detail. For now I place my trust in the intrepid hin."

"If I need to make matters even clearer, let me put it this way. I did not have the luxury of exploring the area thoroughly at my leisure; it's likely Sywyn or Maeredhel had far more extensive knowledge of these places, but they are not with us."

More's the pity, thought Aglaril to himself.

((note, there's a couple of ooc reasons as well as IC reasons that Aglaril having been here before isn't going to mean he knows where everything is or where they need to go... wouldn't be fun if we knew everything anyway :) ))
Last edited by Ithildur on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stormbring3r
Owlbear

Post by Stormbring3r »

Merry looks around the room at the ones resting and lets out a quiet sigh. She wonder over to where Gwindor and Horatio are sitting. "Please.. from now on give me more room to scout and keep Biddle a bit quieter. If I get into trouble I will fall back if need be. I cannot scout when everyone enters a room just after I do." She smiles slightly and wonders back over to the door and sits against it with a sigh.
ALFA NWN1 Notable PC's
Jenna Steel (dead)
Marcus Agent of Mask (dead)
NWN2 PC's
Current PC.... Merin (Merry) Gwinkill
Will Menen (Dead)

DM MS
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"I recommend Penrose sit on Biddle's head from time to time, especially around sacred dwarven gems," Aglaril replies quietly with the slightest hint of a grin. "What? Pen wears heavy armor and is a big fellow, it should prove quite effective."

wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

*adjusts his hat as he looks up at Merry while she talks, then nods*
*softly* Aye ... that was troubling.
We'll have a chat with Biddle and the others. A firm chat.
On the surface I'd demand more, but do you think one hundred feet aught to be enough space to let us scout in peace?

Stormbring3r wrote:Merry looks around the room at the ones resting and lets out a quiet sigh. She wonder over to where Gwindor and Horatio are sitting. "Please.. from now on give me more room to scout and keep Biddle a bit quieter. If I get into trouble I will fall back if need be. I cannot scout when everyone enters a room just after I do." She smiles slightly and wonders back over to the door and sits against it with a sigh.

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Besides sound, light is an issue," Aglaril spoke again in more serious tone. "We'll need to be mindful of it; any obvious light sources that are carried by us will need to be a good distance away from the scouts."

"Possibly even quenched altogether at spots..." added the elf with a slight frown.

gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

wvincenti wrote:*adjusts his hat as he looks up at Merry while she talks, then nods*
*softly* Aye ... that was troubling.
We'll have a chat with Biddle and the others. A firm chat.
On the surface I'd demand more, but do you think one hundred feet aught to be enough space to let us scout in peace?

Stormbring3r wrote:Merry looks around the room at the ones resting and lets out a quiet sigh. She wonder over to where Gwindor and Horatio are sitting. "Please.. from now on give me more room to scout and keep Biddle a bit quieter. If I get into trouble I will fall back if need be. I cannot scout when everyone enters a room just after I do." She smiles slightly and wonders back over to the door and sits against it with a sigh.
"*Horatio shakes his had sadly* If ye need more space... I'll respect that and give it, but in the dark... I am more comfortable keeping you in sight... all of you. I'll keep further back. *he says resigned* And Gwindor will talk to Biddle... I don't think he would ever listen to me."
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

Ithildur wrote:"Merry told me a few things, but I'd be quite interested in that as well Gwindor," the Elf nodded as he chewed on a piece of dried apple. "Last thing we need is a potentially treacherous group that knows we're down here, while we deal with drow, undead, and the like."
*Gwindor replies in his usual quiet voice*
I'm not sure that I've much to add to whatever Merry told ye.
What little I know of Norrick is that he claims to be from Luskan and that the first time I met him was up in Fourthpeak. He dragged himself up into the Legion post there half dead from wounds. After we spent quite a lot of healing saving his life, Norrick claimed that he and his men were attacked while exploring a cave up in the hills to the North of the fort and talked us into trying to save them from whatever it was that attacked them.

When we neared the cave entrance (up above the old orc camp) an unnatural chill filled the air and a dozen undead descended upon us including a Shadow or two.
*frowns briefly and tips his hat up and out of the way a bit*

It seemed too odd to be a coincidence so some of us figured that Norrick had disturbed something that would have been better left alone. Hmph ... still, we'd agreed to see about saving his me, so we climbed ropes down into the cave. Here we were attacked by an earth elemental, I can't recall what sort, but it wasn't long after we'd entered the caves. Not far from that spot we encountered another three and got to see or hear a marvel. A dwarf we were traveling with, hmpf his name's slipping my mind, sang to them. Twas *pauses and grins slightly* like the first time I saw a druid speak to a tree. Precious and rare indeed as memories go.

The rock folk claimed that Norrick and his men had broken some holy seals.
That was enough to convince me to leave the men to their just reward. If it was an elven temple I'd have tossed them in irons myself and the rock folk seemed to have the matter well in hand. If I recall the matter aright, Arizma and I convinced the others to let them handle the dealing of justice in their own home and we left.

Norrick and his folk have no love for us to put it mildly.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

"Do you think they might've been trying to return the favor?" Aglaril asked. "I don't suppose any of you gave him any items that could be considered personal possessions? Strands of hair or such? If I were him I would try to scry on us and track our progress, wait until we were slaughtered down here, and come to scavenge our things. I might even simply wait for the right time to attack, if I were treacherous enough."

Aglaril paused a moment.

"That sounded rather ... ignoble I'm sure. Truthfully, there was a time, when I might've joined such men and their schemes if the price was right.

"... or at least considered them." Aglaril snorted softly, then allowed a dry chuckle. "An exemplary quessir I am, no? Though perhaps it sometimes helps when dealing with such men. Next time we meet them, if they allow us to pass once again without violence, we may want to attempt to lift a small item they will not miss, or..."

Aglaril's eyes turned to Arizma's exotic beauty for a moment, his mind recalling the half orc.

"Something even more subtle perhaps..." the elf's eyes turned back to Gwindor after a while. "Merry spoke of an item, a tome or even an artifact perhaps, that Norrick seeks?"