Tavern Knowledge (III) - post your rumours and gossip here

Forum for in-character plots, actions, and discussion. All posts are considered to be in-character, unless otherwise stated.

Moderator: NWN2 - 03 DM

Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Tavern Knowledge (III) - post your rumours and gossip here

Post by Curmudgeon »

Please note: This thread is for "rumours and gossip" and is not necessarily limited to actual truths.

The old thread having reached a 20+ page size is now locked.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Re: Tavern Knowledge (III) - post your rumours and gossip he

Post by oldgrayrogue »

*A scruffy old member of the Watch looks up to a notice board scratching his beard* "Ere now Rob, didn't we put one a them warrants up here just yesterday?" *The young recruit blinks a few times* "I reckon we did Ned, ya think the wind got it?" *The old watchman scans the area eyes narrowed* "Lookee there *points* and there *points* they be gone from that old oak and that merchant's stall too! I'm thinkin we got a rascal afoot." *scowls* "What we gonna do Ned?" "You go on get some more a them warrants an a hammer an nails. Me, I'm gonna box the ears of any near-do-well I catch interferin with Tyr's right justice." *spits*
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

A farmhand was recently seen running into Rivermoor shouting, "Yipping Demons have ransacked the farm!" Once able to catch his breath and calm his nerve, he was able to provide more details of the attack. Coming down from the hills overlooking the plantation, they were luckily spotted before causing any loss of human life as all fled.

((Have fun, be very careful, dont die.))
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

Rumor has it that urgent legion patrol that was headed east from High Hold never made it to the keep. Another, much larger force that was sent to investigate the matter, did not return to High Hold or arrived to the keep as well.

Legion officials were quoted "We're considering our next steps, but in the meanwhile we advise travelers to be extra careful and avoid the road".

((OOC - Encounter and loot are placed, best fitted for a GROUP of high level characters 10+ ))
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

Meanwhile at Khelb:

A young silk merchant from Rivermoot mysteriously died in his folks house, no violence or burglary signs were noticed. Near the corpse of the dead fellow, a broken glass of wine and a stained love letter from his wife were found.

A young woman by the name of Maria, a local girl was questioned by the guards but was released few hours later.
puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

"'tis insane, ah tells ya! they talked by a band o' kobbies! o' tracks o' 'em! 'arrasin' a bloddy bear! twas only carcass left o' it, all fresh 'n stinky! *the ragged boys and girls giggles in their corners at the rumor*

"I could barely see their small pawed footsteps, but im convinced! it must have been atleast half a dozen of the small buggers... sneaking around the knights outpost." *A ranger, usually stationed in the outskirts of the Silverwood shakes his head and chuckles at the barmaidens disbelieving expression*

"I said i saw them, then they just disappeared, as if the night itself swallowed them, ran north i think...ran off with my damn'.. my damned ring!" *Scurson's cheeks are read with anger, the knuckles on his hand around the swordhilt white*

A wierd, somewhat amusing rumor travelles through the marches, claiming that a band of kobolds have taken up their residence in the silverwoods. The local rangers avoids them, the knights in their outpost takes extra precaution at night. If you believe in kobolds being able to scare off seasoned woodsmen, its up to you...

((static encounter set for a midlevel group of brave adventurers. Loot tokens spawned. thread carefully. with midlevel i mean: lvl5-10, those off higher level than that, please "find it beneath you" and leave the fun for those its ment for)))
puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

*a spreckled dove lands on the yard infront of the Argent Legion outpost in High Holds. It twitters, walks back and forth til' a young boy manges to call it close enough to catch it. around its thin wrists a little messege scroll is attached. The spreckled dove pecks at the boy and flutters its tired wings, but the end the boy manages to untie the scroll without harming the bird. 'ey! searg! I got i'...

*The seargent takes the rolled papper and unfolds it, reads it with a deeper and deeper frown. He shakes his head and gives the messege to his second in command to read* Ohboy! this aint no good... Kobolds sieging the clocktower... poor Brother Wima... and we doesnt have men enough...

*soon a poster is nailed up on by the roads leading to and from high hold, saying:
Brother Wima Duvabiddle of Gond. Trapped in the Clocktower by sieging KOBOLDS. Any and all with association to the Argent Legion, with no current formal position or standing order are here by strongly recommended to assert the situation. Freelancers accepted.

((Static encounter set. loottoken spawned. recommended a mixed group with the levelrange: 4 to 9-10ish. good luck))
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

The siege over the tower of gond has been lifted, posters at High Hold removed.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Discussion has sprung up rapidly across the cities bars and taverns regarding the advertised Knighting ceremony. One such conversation is related below

Retired Knight: Good to see another lass being honored, not enough of them I say
Local Merchant: Bah. The last thing this city needs, especially now, is to honor some out of town hired blade.
Bartender: I agree. There are alot of good, wholesome Silverymoon lads that deserve such an honor.
Retired Knight: They don't decide who gets Knighted based on where they come from. Service and Loyalty, that is what gets you honored like this.
Local Merchant: Rubbish, just last summer they Knighted that rich kid from Cormyr all because he waved a sword at a few cutthroats on the docks.
Bartender: I heard it was the cutthroats waving the swords, not him.
Retired Knight: You both sicken me. You should thank your stars you have people like this lass protecting your asses. Last time I drink in this dump!

At this point, the retired Knight slammed down his mug and stormed out of the bar. It appears feelings around the city are not entirely positive.
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

Travelers who will pass by the Hawks nest outpost on their way to Felbar will be warned by the Silver knight officers to reconsider their trip. A caravan carrying supplies from Felbar, was attacked by a large group of giants and trolls and was lost somewhere in the way up to the mountains. Efforts to try and look for some of the lost goods are now being considered.

((Loot and spawns are placed, recommended group is a balance party of high levels 10+ ))
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Knight in Silver would add that a legion man counted said Giants and pointed out...
Three Forst Giants, two huge Trolls and three Ogres, mayhap more.

They were last seen at the road just north of Sundabar, camping near the burned remains of the caravan.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
rorax
Otyugh

Post by rorax »

Priest Aaron Ra seeks the help of brave adventurers...

Disturbing information has arrived to the knowledge of the priest. It seems that a powerful Sharran group took residence somewhere around Wendover crypts, the priest believe they are there for a reason which he did not figure out yet.

Two powerful temple members were ordered to go and check the issue, they never returned. The priest offers 2000 gold reward to the heroes who will bring back a solid proof they killed the cultists and retrieve back the missing temple members, that is besides any equipment found on the cultists themselves.

((This is a tough encounter , it's best suited for GOOD BALANCED GROUP of high levels 10+ , the loot and spawns are placed! ))

More rumors....

Legion scouts reported large, barbed tailed flying lizards assaulting a small group of orcs somewhere in the hills north of Rivermoot. They advise adventurers to be careful when traveling in the hills.

((Loots and spawns are placed, best suited for medium level group level 6-8 ))
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Rumors around Rivermoot speak of a handful of elves who risked tremendous danger to recover and return the corpses of the two missing ones, while completely destroying the Sharrans and their foul undead creations. The guards stationed outside the gates claim that the same elves afterwards held an impromptu meeting within earshot; though the conversation was almost entirely in Elven and the topic unknown, the guards would have observed deep frowns from several elves whenever someone uttered a single word which sounded vaguely like 'khareyn'.

(( 'loot' tokens collected, Aglaril and Maeredhel have them, though ICly Aglaril likely would've suggested it be distributed or otherwise dealt with; hard to say since we have no idea what we found...))
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Rumors

A human tracker reported seeing orcs fleeing into the Moonwood. Upon further investigation the next morning, the man is reported to have discovered the bodies of two elves that had been stripped of all possessions. Not knowing the elven custom, the man buried the two in shallow graves in a small glade. The tracks of the orcs headed further into the wood.

Kobolds, a larger than normal group, has been sighted in the hills above Rivermoot. Thus far none have been injured, but due caution is advised.

Bandits were recently reported on the road near the Broken Tower.

A half elf known a Franzel has reported seeing a group of Ogres in the Silverwood. There were more than he could handle and was thus forced to flee. He seeks aid in defeating these vile beasts. Care should be taken as they have reportedly already taken one caravan.

Druids of the Great Oak mention howling and growls in the night. It wounds as those two great wolves have been battling for territory.

((Be careful, bring friends, have fun.))
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Heero wrote:Bandits were recently reported on the road near the Broken Tower.
Where bandits might have been, only charred bodies remain, strewn about the hillside by the road like discarded trash. Most died with their weapons still sheathed, as if caught by surprise by a tremendous explosion. The two with with empty sheaths have arrows in their chests. Wolves and other wildlife likely move to claim the bodies quickly. (( Whoops - sorry. I misjudged their CR. Obviously not an encounter for a CL 10 fireball! ))
Heero wrote:Druids of the Great Oak mention howling and growls in the night. It wounds as those two great wolves have been battling for territory.
The wolves might be seen feeding on huge humanoid limbs, as if they had taken down two monstrously large orcs. No orc torsos or bodies would be seen.
Heero wrote:A human tracker reported seeing orcs fleeing into the Moonwood. Upon further investigation the next morning, the man is reported to have discovered the bodies of two elves that had been stripped of all possessions. Not knowing the elven custom, the man buried the two in shallow graves in a small glade. The tracks of the orcs headed further into the wood.
A small elf in a foul mood is seen inquiring about the above incident in Quaervarr. After a brief conversation with a dwarven Legionnaire, he heads off into the woods, presumable to look for the orcs. He was not seen returning.
Last edited by Ronan on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.