OK, how in the abyss does this work again?

If you have any technical question about how to run NWN2, this is the forum you need.
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

OK, how in the abyss does this work again?

Post by Mikayla »

Hi folks,

I DL'd NWN2/MotB/SoZ from GOG and I hit "multiplayer" and I got to the server selection screen, where there are no servers, and ... I've no clue what to do next. Do I need to download stuff? I vaguely remember the ACR, but someone mentioned installation of that is automated now, and I saw something in the forums about a Client Extension, but I've no idea what that is.

So, how do I get back on a server? I have new CD keys, thanks to GOG, so I made a new GSID, but I might be able to dig up the old CD Keys and use the old GSID if that would be better (maybe anyway - its been years since I played, but I don't throw game stuff out either - its a matter of finding it).

M.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Re: OK, how in the abyss does this work again?

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

Mikayla wrote:Hi folks,

I DL'd NWN2/MotB/SoZ from GOG and I hit "multiplayer" and I got to the server selection screen, where there are no servers, and ... I've no clue what to do next. Do I need to download stuff? I vaguely remember the ACR, but someone mentioned installation of that is automated now, and I saw something in the forums about a Client Extension, but I've no idea what that is.

So, how do I get back on a server? I have new CD keys, thanks to GOG, so I made a new GSID, but I might be able to dig up the old CD Keys and use the old GSID if that would be better (maybe anyway - its been years since I played, but I don't throw game stuff out either - its a matter of finding it).

M.
Gamespy stopped supporting the server list. You have to direct connect now.

http://www.alandfaraway.org/servers

That has all of the direct connect info :)
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Sooooooo.... yeah.

The Master Server is down. Forever. All support for NWN2 has been cut, and we've got me working with Skywing to produce some server lists. So you've got options--
You can grab this application here which, when run, will put a little icon on your task bar that you can double click to bring up a list of all of the servers, who all is on them, what their IP addresses are, etc. All of the stuff that you used to use the multiplayer windows for-- and then you have to direct connect to servers to get them to go.

You can also grab the Client Extension here which will run as a wrapper to NWN2 (that is, you start it when you want NWN2, and it will make NWN2 behave in less-buggy ways) and it will replace the old unsupported multiplayer screens with stuff that connect to the new, supported server lists that the above application uses. Same lists; just different format.

Or you can grab both-- if you have both, you can use the first application, double click a row on its lists, and it will launch NWN2 and connect to the server you'd clicked on while skipping the other screens.

//edit
And fie on SSM for not showing off our swag. Fie!
Last edited by Zelknolf on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

I thoroughly recommend Skywing's Client Extension as linked by silk. Log into alfa IRC chat and join #alfa-tech. They will walk you through making everything work right play by play.
Witchdoctor
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Witchdoctor »

By the way even if you do not have lots of time to play..................WELCOME BACK!
Stormbring3r
Owlbear

Post by Stormbring3r »

WOOT !!! welcome back
ALFA NWN1 Notable PC's
Jenna Steel (dead)
Marcus Agent of Mask (dead)
NWN2 PC's
Current PC.... Merin (Merry) Gwinkill
Will Menen (Dead)

DM MS
Stormseeker
Orc Champion

Post by Stormseeker »

As was said, welcome back. *grins*
Mikayla
Valsharess of ALFA
Location: Qu'ellar Faen Tlabbar, Noble Room 7, Menzoberranzan, NorthUnderdark

Post by Mikayla »

*bows* Thank you, thank you. Remember to tip your waitresses. I'll be here all week ...

Seriously though, thanks for the tech help and the warm welcome. I used the direct connect info and was able to connect to the server and it DL'd a ton of stuff (thank the gods ALFA has added heads/hair - I forgot how damn fugly the NWN2 characters were). I will DL the CE and the ... I dunno, those tech thingies y'all mentioned above. And then I am sure I will screw it up and be back in here asking for help, or on chat, or whatever. Thanks folks.

M.
ALFA1-NWN1: Sheyreiza Valakahsa
NWN2: Layla (aka Aliyah, Amira, Snake and others) and Vellya
NWN1-WD: Shein'n Valakasha
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

Go Skywing, just follow Zelknolfs links and instructions

You get the list, plus stability, logging, and many other benefits.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

+1 Skywing. You'll want it for when you start DMing, which will be in exactly 17 days and 11 hours, 45 minutes.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Hyme
Brown Bear

Post by Hyme »

Welcome