Ranger Favored Enemies

If you have any technical question about how to run NWN2, this is the forum you need.
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Ranger Favored Enemies

Post by wvincenti »

When I read the Feat description in game for Favored Enemies it often mentions a bonus language.
If Fey is your choice, your PC gets Sylvan.
If Elves are your choice, your PC learns Elven.

Is this something we can use in game?

The new language isn't showing up in my menu when I try to change languages.
Do we need a DM to set the language up?

-Bill
  • Currently NWN1 ALFA: Ryld Ky'bler
    Currently NWN2: Gwindor Faelivrin, still not actually dead!

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Ranger Favored Enemies

Post by Zelknolf »

Sounds like an error in the text to me.

That doesn't have any basis in canon.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/range ... voredEnemy
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

What it allows Ranger to do, at least in ALFA, is be able to select that language as a bonus language.

It doesn't grant it to you automatically, but rather adds to the list of languages you can select.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Yeah, it isnt automatic. You have access to the language, but youll need to spend a skill point in Speak Language then select it to be able to speak it.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

Heero wrote:Yeah, it isnt automatic. You have access to the language, but youll need to spend a skill point in Speak Language then select it to be able to speak it.
Thanks.

I'll think about committing the points if my lad makes it to the next level.

-Bill

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I just want the +2 to bluff, SM, spot, listen and surv... yum.

Impossible to implement I would assume?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Favored Enemy

At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature as his favored enemy. The ranger gains a +1 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Spot, and Taunt checks, and also a +1 bonus on weapon damage rolls against their favored enemy. At 5th level, and every five levels after that, the ranger can choose an additional favored enemy and gains +1 to all favored enemy bonuses.
You already get the BLuff, Listen, Spot bonuses. They replaced Survival for Taunt...and Taunt is not a skill in ALFA. So I should say they add Survival.

The bonus is also halved, but good luck getting that changed.
Current PCs:
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

+1 or +2, I can live with either. (Of course +2 every five levels would be twice as wonderful as plus one. :-) )

The Bonus Languages showing up in the Feat Description in game surprised me and some folks who've RP'd Rangers for years. It was something we hadn't noticed it before. Now to go see if my lad wants to study up on Giantspeak, Trollish or whatever it's called.

-Bill
SwordSaintMusashi wrote:
Favored Enemy

At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature as his favored enemy. The ranger gains a +1 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Spot, and Taunt checks, and also a +1 bonus on weapon damage rolls against their favored enemy. At 5th level, and every five levels after that, the ranger can choose an additional favored enemy and gains +1 to all favored enemy bonuses.
You already get the BLuff, Listen, Spot bonuses. They replaced Survival for Taunt...and Taunt is not a skill in ALFA. So I should say they add Survival.

The bonus is also halved, but good luck getting that changed.

Stormseeker
Orc Champion

Post by Stormseeker »

easy enough to implement the pluses, just give every ranger a item that adds them thats worth nothing and they cant give or drop it.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Unfortunately, it is not that easy. These sorts of implementations using un-droppable items bug out often causing double or even triple bonuses to be applied upon log in. The Mind of Body token, for instance, will grant the possessor +2 AC rather than +1 almost as often as not.

SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

I also do not believe there is an item property that grants a skill bonus vs. enemy type.
Current PCs:
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

As a rule, if you have a proposal that reads "Just give every X an item that does Y" the answer will be an emphatic no. And I may or may not release the houds.
wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

Zelk,
What is currently implemented in ALFA regarding Favored Enemy? Is it the +1 mentioned in NWN2wiki or the +2 mentioned at d20srd?

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Favored_Enemy
At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature as his favored enemy. The ranger gains a +1 bonus on bluff, listen, spot, and taunt checks, and also a +1 bonus on weapon damage rolls against their favored enemy. At 5th level and every five levels after that, the ranger can choose an additional favored enemy and gains +1 to all favored enemy bonuses.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm#favoredEnemy
At 1st level, a ranger may select a type of creature from among those given on Table: Ranger Favored Enemies. The ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against creatures of this type. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures.

At 5th level and every five levels thereafter (10th, 15th, and 20th level), the ranger may select an additional favored enemy from those given on the table. In addition, at each such interval, the bonus against any one favored enemy (including the one just selected, if so desired) increases by 2.

If the ranger chooses humanoids or outsiders as a favored enemy, he must also choose an associated subtype, as indicated on the table. If a specific creature falls into more than one category of favored enemy, the ranger’s bonuses do not stack; he simply uses whichever bonus is higher.

Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

It is the +1 listed in NWN2wiki.

wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

Thanks.
Heero wrote:It is the +1 listed in NWN2wiki.