TA DMing

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Re: TA DMing

Post by Twin Axes »

Postponed due to cavalry actions in the western provinces. I will try for a repeat occasion tomorrow around the same time.
"[T]he dwarvern people, are machine-like, and it is impossible to reason with a machine." - Susana
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Twin Axes wrote:You are welcome to join, as long as it doesn't violate any rules about DMing a PC that I might later play with as player myself (on TSM). It might be hard to get everyone's time zones to fit together though, atm we have one player on PST, but what else is new.
This has never been illegal even back when we had large populations afaik. With current numbers, these kinds of restrictions would be utterly silly.

4 simple rules for ALFA currently I recommend:

1. communicate, talk through problems/issues
2. be forthright and honest if you have concerns or are annoyed/take offense to something
3. make good attempt to be more patient and understanding
4. communicate, talk through problems/issues

i.e. treat people more like this is a tabletop group with people you play with on a regular basis face to face, rather than silly internetz anonymous pixels.

I am toying with the idea of rolling up a pureclass wizzie on BG if there's room for one.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Sounds fun. Go for it.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

I think the rule Twin Axes is referencing is this one:
Mikayla wrote:Policy Decision:

It is the policy of the Player Admin to ask DM/Players to refrain from playing PCs in factions they DM, and/or vice versa - DMing PCs who belong to the same faction as the PC of the DM/Player, or directly hostile factions. There is a clear conflict of interest, and even if not directly acted on, it is inappropriate.

For example, if DM Able DMs the “Death Guild” faction, then DM Able should not have a PC in the Death Guild. If the DM wants his or her PC to join the Death Guild, or that PC is already in the Death Guild, then I would like DM Able to refrain from directly DMing any other PC member of the “Death Guild” faction, or any PC in direct conflict with the Death Guild. Now, say the Death Guild is a Cyric worshipping bunch of blokes; DM Able could still DM other Cyric worshippers, just not those who were part of the Death Guild, actively opposing it, or had some other special relationship with DM Able’s PC, Ablesman.

[Addition by Rotku]
Further note on this ruling, see the following link.
http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 25#p506225
I'm not sure any factions apply anymore, but that's for PA/DMA to hash out if there is a doubt. I think we are more laid back now, so I'd go with Ith's interpretation - that you are aware of the possible conflict of interest, and act accordingly, is probably all that is required today.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

Ithildur wrote:
1. communicate, talk through problems/issues
2. be forthright and honest if you have concerns or are annoyed/take offense to something
3. make good attempt to be more patient and understanding
4. communicate, talk through problems/issues

i.e. treat people more like this is a tabletop group with people you play with on a regular basis face to face, rather than silly internetz anonymous pixels.
The challenge with all commnication over the internet...interpretation of tone suffers especially.
Ithildur wrote:I am toying with the idea of rolling up a pureclass wizzie on BG if there's room for one.
We only have two regular players at the time of writing, so there's plenty of room! We could use you :)
Veilan wrote:I think the rule Twin Axes is referencing is this one:
I'm referencing the forbidding voice of the Alfa God that echoes in my head saying "Thou Shalt Not..." (fill in the blank with action of choice), plus vague memories of the quoted rulings.
"[T]he dwarvern people, are machine-like, and it is impossible to reason with a machine." - Susana
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

Ok, update: I will continue on my path to ultimate DM-hood tonight at 10 pm Euro. Those interested in being my guinea pigs are welcome to join. We cater to levels 1-4, and we start in Nashkel.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Twin Axes wrote:I'm referencing the forbidding voice of the Alfa God that echoes in my head saying "Thou Shalt Not..." (fill in the blank with action of choice), plus vague memories of the quoted rulings.
It's the voice of sanity, and another reason why I'm sure everybody trusts you with this :).
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

Veilan wrote:
It's the voice of sanity, and another reason why I'm sure everybody trusts you with this :).
Anyone trusting my sanity does so at their own risk.

Thanks all for the attendance and the RP. Everyone lived (once we sorted out some technical issues) and yet again, I learned a lot about the inner workings of this madman called Alfa (j/k, it's pretty amazing what it lets you do). Thanks also for the tech help on IRC. It's a steep curve.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Was a great time TA, thanks for the fun! And a nemesis left for us to track down (and instantly behead), is a dorf player's dream. w00t!

~Matt
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

All the tropes were there. What I'm shooting for is classic D&D, so this is as it should be.

Good news, everyone! We are getting our own forum. What shall we call our group? I was thinking "Eowane's boyfriends", but she has sadly passed, so feel free to come up with suggestions.
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

• Axe-bitten (twice shy)
  • Axes and allies
  • The Axe effect
  • Axoholics Anonymous
  • Axe me no questions...
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

***THE CHOICE IS MADE***
Twin Axes
Dungeon Master

Post by Twin Axes »

We have our own forum. It will be open to all until we start planning the revolution. http://www.alandfaraway.info/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=405