BG Campaign Beginning

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Re: BG Campaign Beginning

Post by ImStrokerAce »

I'll be likely be quite late to the game on Sat. I should be around 15:00 PST
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Because the MS box requires immediate server maintenance and because the BG box also needs to be migrated to another box, I can't run the session this weekend.

BG will remain operational but MS is down hard right now. Sorry folks.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Will we be making the next attempt on 10/10? 10/17?
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

Im unable to make 10/10 due it being Canadian Thanksgiving; just a forewarning.
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

my wife will be gone most of the day, so i might actually get to play during the day if we are still on for this saturday.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

hmm, i'm also thinking about a last minute switch to a bard. will see if i have enough time after lunch to reroll.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

I am unable to make it, on account of Apple being the worst software company in recent memory.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Word about is that some dark, black, heavily spiked creatures have done battle with undead on the Trade Way, though the varieties of this story come with many significant exaggerations. The party, as it somewhat-haphazardly gathered, came to track the eventual fate of this fight and recovered a body of one of the spiked creatures, later identifying it was a Bladeling.

Teresa is to use her membership at Candlekeep to try to gather information about Bladelings and their home plane.

No other plans are public to the party.

Is next session 10/17 or 10/24? I recall an iffy statement that these might have to be every two weeks.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Zelknolf wrote:Word about is that some dark, black, heavily spiked creatures have done battle with undead on the Trade Way, though the varieties of this story come with many significant exaggerations. The party, as it somewhat-haphazardly gathered, came to track the eventual fate of this fight and recovered a body of one of the spiked creatures, later identifying it was a Bladeling.

Teresa is to use her membership at Candlekeep to try to gather information about Bladelings and their home plane.

No other plans are public to the party.

Is next session 10/17 or 10/24? I recall an iffy statement that these might have to be every two weeks.
The creatures known as Bladelings are rumored to be tieflings, the result of a union between fiends and humanoids but this rumor is all but debunked at this point. For all intents and purposes, Bladelings are a race unto their own as they display far more homogeneity within their kind than the diverse forms of tieflings that inhabit the known planes.

The creatures are human-shaped, standing roughly six feet tall with eyes that glow like translucent chips of glacial ice tinged with purple. Thick leathery skin and bones protrude in the form of sharp blades of wood, ice, and steel jutting out from all angles of the bladelings body. Bladelings have no soft flesh and as such are considerably heavier than a human of their size. Their blood is the color and consistency of oil.

Little is known about Bladeling society or ecology, for the race discourages any investigation into their existence harshly. What is known is that the creatures live in Ocanthus, the fourth layer of the plane of Acheron. Bladelings seem to originate from one location in Ocanthus, known as the Blood Forest and they defend that territory vigilantly and violently.

Some Bladelings are known to cast divine spells, though what deities they revere remains a mystery. Some Bladelings are known to speak Infernal and the Tradecommon of the planes and there is evidence that the creatures speak a native tongue as well. The few reports of Bladeling encounters outside of the Blood Forest suggest that the creatures are courteous.

The Blood Forest is a pulpy mass of wood and other less savory and unidentifiable organic material that offers some degree of shelter from the whirling blades of ice and iron which are the main feature of Ocanthus.

Ocanthus itself is spatially infinite, mostly formless, and the razor sharp shards of black ice and iron fly about in a perpetual maelstrom called the Bladestorm.

Acheron is also spatially infinite and is a battlefield of perpetual conflict between huge armies with no observable chance of victory or cease-fire. Each of the four layers of Acheron consist of a huge number of iron "cubes" of varying size, from continent-sized to small islands. Although not all of these are actually cube-shaped, they are referred to as cubes nonetheless; these cubes float in an air-filled, infinite space and occasionally collide with each other. Every cube face is habitable, with gravity always being directed towards the cube's center and the cubes are filled with caverns and tunnels.

The light on Acheron varies between that similar to bright moonlight to that of a dark and cloudy day. The sound of battle resonates around the plane and can always be heard in the distance. Acheron's first layer, Avalas, shares borders with the neighboring planes of the Nine Hells of Baator and the Clockwork Nirvana of Mechanus; travel is possible between Acheron and these planes at certain locations.

Acheron has four known layers:

The first layer of Acheron, Avalas, is also called The Battlefield. It contains the highest density of metal cubes and is thus host to the most fighting on the plane. The cubes are dotted with fortresses and covered with battlefields. Collisions between the cubes causes them to break apart in to smaller cubes, hence the smallest cubes are the oldest on the layer.

The realm of Nishrek, home to the orc deity Gruumsh and the other deities of the orc pantheon including Bahgtru, Ilneval, and Luthic is located in Avalas. Clangor, the realm of goblin deities Maglubiyet, Khurgorbaeyag, and Nomog-Geaya. Avalas also contains the Black Bastion a massive fortress-castle which serves as Bane's seat of power.

Thuldanin is the second layer of Acheron and has a relatively small population when compared to Avalas. The cubes of Thuldanin are enormous and plentiful, but scarred and pitted by battle. Many pits lead to labyrinths containing the offal and refuse of the endless battles of Acheron; broken war machines and other martial devices can be found in the rubble and the occasional well-crafted weapon an be scavenged by those brave and skilled enough to do so. The duergar god, Laduguer makes his lair in Thuldanin in a realm known as Hammergrim. Thuldanin is home to many incredibly lifelike statues of creatures.

The third layer of Acheron is known as Tintibulus and rather than six-sided cubes, the plane contains four, five, eight, and infrequently other regular and irregular polyhedrons, excepting cubes. A thick layer of dust coats the surface of the polyhedrons here, which are comprised of grey volcanic stone. Curiously, the libraries of mages, living and dead, are scattered about the plane and it is one of the best locations in the known planes to conduct magical research.

Acheron is home to Achaierai, Chronotyryns, Rust dragons, Steel Predators, Justicators, Siege Beetles, Bladelings, Bonespears, Rakshasa, and Maugs.

(( I have resolved my scheduling issues and we can play weekly on Saturdays at 11:00 Pacific / 14:00 Eastern / 18:00 GMT for 3-5 hours. ))
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Any chance of a Friday night time still, or will it be primarily Sat during the day only?

I'd be happy with non-campaign specific stuff on Fri nights, it is just unlikely I will be able to play during the day on Saturday very often.

I know you mentioned Fri nights and Sun on the first post, so wondering if either of those still on the table.

Had a lot of fun last Saturday catching the intro to the story that is unfolding.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

The party continued its investigation into the bladeling troubles, finding that they wander far from their apparent source, in Durlag's tower, while the undead remain relatively near their apparent source, in caves in the Sharp Teeth. Through investigation the party found a portal used by the undead to travel and, upon exploring it, learned it the lair of several liches-- likely those of the whispered-of Twisted Rune. Though all escaped with their lives, some just barely, no meaningful gain was had against the coven of liches, and no real investigation was done on the source of the bladelings. What was learned is that half of this battle is liches.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

On the bright side, there are puppies now involved. Dire wolf puppies -- but still, puppies!
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

IRC wrote:10:13 PM <Foam> We have a campaign event tomorrow?
10:14 PM <shad0wfax> oh, I actually need to cancel it and move it to Sunday if that's okay with folks.
10:14 PM <shad0wfax> I should post that.
10:14 PM <shad0wfax> It would be 10am to 2pm I'd say.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

FoamBats4All wrote:On the bright side, there are puppies now involved. Dire wolf puppies -- but still, puppies!
Winter is coming
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

Today's event is delayed until tomorrow, 10AM PST to 2PM PST (Sunday).

Sorry for the short notice.