Faction group

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

boombrakh
Githyanki

Faction group

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Re: Faction group

Post by Adanu »

I've been looking to get the Grey Fangs started on BG or MS, but have yet to find a DM for it. I'd be willing to incorporate your new PCs into the trade war on WHL as your own group if you can't find someone on BG.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Not sure there are enough people for factions...

From what I see everyone tends to RP with everyone as much as possible.

Could be nice to make something adversarial, but not sure to what or whom exactly.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
Audark
Owlbear

Post by Audark »

I think the stumbling block would be on getting DM attention for opposing factions. As it stands right now Mick is doing a good job keeping things very inclusive and I think everyone in game has really been trying to do the same.

I know I've been stretching my RP a bit in order to include as many as want to play in the DMing we get.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

I might make the suggestion of--
http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Ruqel
http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Guardians_of_Light

High-level patrons, established home base, player housing, active build and associated quests, other lowbies. It would mean playing good guys, though I've seen all of the Swedes except Boom play good guys and seem happy for it.

Not suggested ironically-- I call you an adversary strictly politically; that's enough to make me uncomfortable with wielding DM power over your characters, but not enough to turn PCs away when I'm also a PC (especially if we're on the same side; much less potential for things to turn south there-- and might even be a healthy reminder that we only have beef about Game B™).

And, 'course, we don't have enough players to not cooperate. Splitting and factioning effectively halves the player base when we're counting whether we have the critical mass for persistent-style play.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

boombrakh wrote:
kid wrote:Could be nice to make something adversarial, but not sure to what or whom exactly.
we did that once, with team emo aka the sharrans. but now that alfa outlawed any confrontation ending with dead pcs, maybe it is time to try again? and it would be with team sweden, so we'd be at least four-five people doing something. and random adventurers is so 2014.
That can work, but that was my concern in choosing against what or who.

Can't think of a good idea (yet) to do something interesting that doesn't have to be against other players.
Or maybe the against, but in a way that's less than likely to get someone killed.

No ideas though.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Zelknolf wrote:And, 'course, we don't have enough players to not cooperate. Splitting and factioning effectively halves the player base when we're counting whether we have the critical mass for persistent-style play.
Yes, that's a concern too.

But adversarial stuff add spice to things.
Just need to think if possible not to be too hot.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

*whispers* Roll Malarites Boom!

*eyes Zelk* :P

On a serious note, agree with above statements. a fracturing of the playerbase into distinct "groups" whom play mainly insularly is likely not a very great choice at this point in time.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

:( I believe there are ways to play subtle adversaries/antagonists or at least anti heroes without breaking ALFA currently, but yeah, an entire faction of such people might be difficult to work with as things are.

Though I would give kudos to anyone that managed to pull it off well. I mean, a well played evil group could happily cooperate with everyone and work for the cause of goodness on a surface level, for YEARS...

... just stay away from high level divine casters/paladins at least until you gain some tricks of your own, and keep meta information so watertight that people won't even be tempted to metagame that you're not nice even by accident. :)

Maybe I'm being too idealistic... although I've great memories of Misty's toon terrorizing all of SD for months with nary a single unpleasant combat CvC incident; requires DM support, but it is possible.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt