A Note On Mick's DMing

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Mick
Beholder

A Note On Mick's DMing

Post by Mick »

As might be relevant in some upcoming sessions, everyone should know that if a death magic effect drops your PC to the -6 hp floor while I am DMing the session, then your PC is DEAD. Death magic works against NPCs and monsters and turnabout is fair play.

This means that if you are not comfortable with possibly losing a PC, then you should opt out of these adventures. In addition, if you see a partymate drop due to a death effect, do not waste time trying to heal them. It will not work.

Plan your participation accordingly.
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Rumple C
Bard

Re: A Note On Mick's DMing

Post by Rumple C »

:007:

I approve.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
ImStrokerAce
Orc Champion

Post by ImStrokerAce »

How ambiguously terrifying; I like it!
Current PC:
Mephis the Awkward Mage
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I was actually wondering about just that, and assumed that's how you'll treat that.

Thumbs up.
(Said the person playing a toon that walks about with deathward 24/7)

Sadly i'll probably miss most of the fun due to lateness.

There's one more thing you might want to consider regarding spectral stuff (another thing that came to mind while I was thinking about your game):
I'm uncertain, but I think the engine nulls the 50% miss chance if you've see invisibility of any kind.
Not sure if so, and also not sure how it should go in proper PnP, but maybe something to look into if you care.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

kid wrote:I'm uncertain, but I think the engine nulls the 50% miss chance if you've see invisibility of any kind.
Ignoring miss chance is its own property, which usually comes with True Seeing.

But we also don't have Ghost Touch as a property, so generally worth prodding about and testing the unique implementations of incorporeal undead when planning their use-- ours is closer to PnP than NWN2's, but there's still a pretty wide gap.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Mmmm, not sure, but I think that when I had blindsight on,
my heal attack had no miss chance vs a nightwalker, will test with DM if anyone wants to.
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

I believe it only shows the miss chance if you miss.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

It only shows the miss chance in your server window if you missed because of the miss chance, yes.

But blindsight totally lets you attack concealed creatures without penalty-- it's supposed to be for like... blur... or displacement, but NWN2 considers those things the same effect as the incorporeal miss chance. So, yay limitations.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

So not cast blindsight vs spectral stuff unless i'm in the mood for being a little engine cheater?
(Not going for the debate on engine vs pnp, i sometimes use what the engine give me, just curious I got it right: Shouldn't work in PnP, works in engine?)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

kid wrote:So not cast blindsight vs spectral stuff unless i'm in the mood for being a little engine cheater?
(Not going for the debate on engine vs pnp, i sometimes use what the engine give me, just curious I got it right: Shouldn't work in PnP, works in engine?)
So, to the direct question:
Blindsight does not help you hit incorporeal undead in PnP.
It does help you hit incorporeal undead in NWN2.

As to whether that's cheating? Ask Mikayla; I will advise that ALFA's incorporeal undead, and our provided options to combat them, don't really resemble PnP's once you get at that level of detail. I'm not aware of any existing ruling. As to whether it's welcome in any given session? Barring some hard "cheating/ not cheating" ruling from the PA, ask the DM; incorporeal CRs are freakin' busted regardless, and their assumptions about how you'll fight them will probably determine how they stage encounters.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

yes, that's the debate I was (very poorly) trying to avoid :D
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Blindsight spell in NWN2 according to the NWN2 wiki (which I consider a work in progress that has long ago ceased to progress for the most part, i.e. more than a few known inaccuracies) does not grant the target any bonuses against concealment.

Whether this is true or not as well as whether if it does help vs incorporeal targets = cheating or not is debatable; there's a ton of silly or at least less than ideal implementations of spells in NWN2 (lvl 6 Bigby anyone?) that we tend to hem and haw around without reaching consensus as a general pattern. :)

More relevant to this thread, probably simplest to let the game engine do it's thing unless DM says otherwise.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Mick
Beholder

Post by Mick »

Even though a juicy reward has been announced for putting down the Banshee in the Elfsong, that encounter is not completely ready to be faced yet. I am waiting for a mod update for everything to be ready for the conclusion of this plot.

Do not attempt to enter the Elfsong or do anything related to it without me being present, please.

Thanks for your cooperation!
Talk less. Listen more.

Current PCs: ?
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Nooblin statics foisted on new PCs by a ship captain NPC pretty much nudge such PCs into that location mighty fast... though locks on the doors help. Not all people finding non-passworded BG might see this warning, then again, I don't know how much or little casual first time visitor traffic we get at all.

(Sounds like a cool rumor and such though)
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

There are locks and signs outside the door.
Nice how model updates work in BG.

Note: Sounds like I was critizing others... Not meant to.
Just kudos to whoever's doing it (SF I assume?)