So... (coordination/guage interest thread)

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Rumple C
Bard

Re: So... (coordination/guage interest thread)

Post by Rumple C »

It shall drown in our blood.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Rumple C wrote:My lvl 1 has a good feeling about this.
That's the spirit. The rest of you are cowards I say.

On a more serious note, zelk is right obviously that a dragon shouldn't be taken lightly. I've intentionally not posted details (yet) so as to try to gauge some initial interest without too many spoilers, while hoping it generates/drives some RP beyond 'yay, let's kill it' (or 'let's get Teresa to kill it'); half the fun imo is not always knowing just how old/powerful the dragon might be and dealing with that.

There are some clues however.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

Half the fun IMO is planning out the attack once we scout as much as we can.

If the dragon isn't ancient or something godlike, Zyrus would certainly be curious, at least.

You call it cowardice, I call it prudence, and it's why Zyrus has managed to stay alive for years as a tank/bruiser.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Sheesh people, it's a joke, the coward bit. ;)

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Ithildur wrote:
Rumple C wrote:My lvl 1 has a good feeling about this.
That's the spirit. The rest of you are cowards I say.

On a more serious note, zelk is right obviously that a dragon shouldn't be taken lightly. I've intentionally not posted details (yet) so as to try to gauge some initial interest without too many spoilers, while hoping it generates/drives some RP beyond 'yay, let's kill it' (or 'let's get Teresa to kill it'); half the fun imo is not always knowing just how old/powerful the dragon might be and dealing with that.

There are some clues however.
I'm not a coward. I dealt with worse and lost :(

I would love to see a dragon but I know i wouldn't be able to fight it. Obviously if that's the goal My char can't do anything besides be a cheerleader. Sure it's fun sometimes to do that but ICly she's been warning towns preparing defended etc... That's the most realistic thing a low PC can do.

Though obviously there are time zone issues for me to also consider. I stayed up today as long as I could today but without a scheduled event I can't really risk my health on a no show. (Obviously I can try to make it easier on myself if things are scheduled you would just see me start later rather then attempt 8 hours gaming)

Edit: just to add if alfa has taught me anything... Things are as they are. If the DM says there is a dragon there is a freakin' dragon. Don't expect plot convienence for the sake of level or ignorance or even story. You will die.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Ithildur wrote:Sheesh people, it's a joke, the coward bit. ;)
I will say this, if you are not prepared to possibly lose your PC (and not complain incessantly for months/years afterwards) you probably should not participate. I can't believe I'm saying this in ALFA, especially with a freaking dragon involved, but there it is.

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Can I complain when other people don't lose their pcs while sitting in the sidelines and eating popcorn?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

im trying to be realistic here... Please don't be mean about it. :(

My PC isnt suicidle.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I you mean me, I wasn't mean, I just enjoy pointless banter.
Not all characters are crazy adventure type of characters, that's fine.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I did not mean you, Kid, though I am taking your last sentence as not so subtle criticism on avoiding risky plots for my current level though.

Frankly, this whole thread has felt like a dig at low level characters, and it's no longer funny. "Oh you want to reach a (relatively) high level? You should not be playing alfa! No, you are a low power, and will always be so and must be happy to remain as such." :evil: This is elitism at it's worse. The permadeath rules were made to enhance and force gravity on the situations we find ourselves in ICly. It makes those who achieved higher levels as something truly earned. Taunting OOCly with it is not cool, and bringing up past failures on a player a kick in the teeth.

This adventure is not 'crazy' for your characters, because you are high level characters and have a near 100% chance of survival because of how established you are and have a strong understanding of all the rules and mechanics. Furthermore, I'm not convinced this scenario would be played with the same seriousness and respect I would give it. To contrast, I did once do something once with a 'sleepy dragon', even a very 'young dragon'. I nerfed their power intentionally for the situation, because a fully grown full blown "dragon dragon" is not to be trifled with... and that must be respected ICly, even if you laugh OOCly about it. If it's a serious adventure, good luck. If it isn't, keep the dragon on a leash when you make it your pet.

Sorry to have blown a little up here
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

The dragon can be pursued in game via shadowfax or myself.

I reserve the right to delete any comment after this post that continues to go off topic. Take it to PMs folks.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

I don't think there's real attempts to burn anyone (except with dragon fire). Just attempts at humor and text-based communication being weird.

So back on topic, do we actually have a roll call?

I see for sures on me (w/ Persephone), Ithildur (w/ Aglaril), and it sounded like a probable yes from Xanthea (w/ Nioniel? w/ Rani?). Sounded pretty squishy from the others.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

*sigh*

I'm thinking I should have kept this strictly IC and not posted an ooc thread. As far as I know the PCs that have expressed interest in game/in character in helping out somehow (regardless of whether they were willing to actually engage the dragon in combat or not) are Nioniel, Bozwell, and Tess. Rumors have gone around likely enough that others could jump in on relatively short notice if need be.

Many of the most enjoyable ALFA sessions I've taken part in involved mixed levels vs a mob that was tough enough to make even the highest levels retreat. The fact that I was playing low level PCs that would've died in one or two hits and contributed little offensively did not take away from the enjoyment of RPing participating in terrifying, grand battles. It's my belief that in a dynamic, living world sometimes there's defeat, death, retreat, and even battles where you're simply in way over your head, not everything neatly scaled for PCs' convenience every single time. Sometimes we play the role of Superman; sometimes we play the role of Lois Lane or Perry White while Metropolis is being blown up around you. Lois Lane does not have to be able to take out Zod to be relevant to the story.

Based on my (and many others') similar experiences I wanted to put out an ooc thread because I simply wanted folks to have an opportunity to participate in possibly dealing with an iconic DnD creature, without obsessing over levels or whether their PC might die. No one is being strong armed to participate or kill off their PC; if you wish to have your PC participate by all means but please, let's keep complaints about levels, PC deaths, etc to a minimum. It is what it is, high risk is high risk, etc etc etc (and honestly, if Tess shows up it's probably not even all that high risk, and if her presence pushes up the CR sufficiently, the people at high risk of death will not be lowbies).

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

The odds of me joining are slim to none but would love to have some notice and might make it.
Will try to log and chat if I see anyone online.
Adanu
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Adanu »

If you hadn't posted about it, I wouldn't have found out about it for a while.
First Character: Zyrus Meynolt, the serene Water Genasi berserker. "I am the embodiment of the oceans; serene until you summon the storm." Zyrus: http://tinyurl.com/9emdbnd

Second Character: Damien Collins, the atypical druid. "What? Being a stick in the mud is boring. No pun intended grins"

Western Heartlands HDM: On break. PM for emergencies