Griefer - guess will keep disconnecting from server ?

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Griefer - guess will keep disconnecting from server ?

Post by Brokenbone »

Heyo.

I guess the server will be getting littered with NPC corpses and in cases (at least one), PC corpses due to the "log in with jacked attributes PC" type haks, same thing as yesterday. Guess each of me and CD did web based "disconnect from server" things (neither of a BG DM but it's kind of a who cares if it's 40 STR guys running around), over to BG team, tech team, whatever, to figure your plans. Of course GSIDs and keys can be changed every minute... re-passwording fine (and with threats of DDOS in chat), so again, over to y'all.

I'll semi-monitor chat for more "tales of crazy" and do more disconnects if needed I guess.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Re: Griefer - guess will keep disconnecting from server ?

Post by Zelknolf »

Welp, not a whole lot we can do there except ban a bunch of CD keys and clean up the server. Passwords don't stop DoS attacks.

Could use the GSIDs of the folk doing it, so as to make that all more expedient.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Same folk, 1st GSID dc'd by cloud, "as123a"
2nd GSID dc'd by me, "guy"

Again though a GSID can be made in what, a minute? So yeah, in the "welp not much to do..." category.

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

The GSID will be linked to a lot of other information which one actually uses to carry out a ban, and can increase the overhead he'll require to successfully carry out a DoS attack.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Ten four, isn't hard to keep track of I guess!

DMA Staff
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

I know nothing about this stuff but can we get the IP address?

I assume this person is breaking state and federal law if in the us?

I'm probably stupid to think we could deal with it this way but just curious...

If we see this happening even rarely, I'd say we need to go back to the pass...
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

We already have his IP address, yes, but we need either the cooperation of the ISP or an (also illegal) attack on the ISP or his own machine to translate that into personally-identifiable information.

That said, yes, intentionally disabling or accessing a computer without permission from the system's owner is illegal. It tends to go on rather commonly because it's difficult to get a government to enforce the small-time stuff ("This kid took down my internet video game for two hours! He should go to jail for that!!!one!1!")-- though if they persist over time, it starts turning into the sort of thing that we could expect outside help with, which tends to be a judge saying "Don't be a douche. No internet for you for <duration>."
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

I mentioned adding a script that checks the Point Buy upon login to Zelknolf. Seems a lot easier than to try to chase the guy, banning CD-keys and GSID's.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

What about adding a new area to the mod called "The Padded Room" where all new PCs are sent for a time to be observed by ALFA Members in good standing before being allowed amongst the general populace? It can be an OOC area with a square in the middle made of walls that the new PCs cannot leave. Characters in good standing can enter this area and stand outside the square room to observe these new player's behavior while asking them questions such as, "Do you think its nice to hit people who havent provoked you?", and, "Which do you prefer, delivering mail or hitting NPCs?". Once the player of the PC shows that he/she has the ability to contribute toward a decent society, they can be let free to go on with their business.

I feel this idea has merit and could be used as a counseling technique here on the forums and in chat, as well. For instance, instead of banning our most recent ban-y, we could have removed his access from every other ALFA forum and given him access solely to a new forum called 'The Padded Room' where he could post for a time to be observed by the rest of us upstanding citizens until it was deemed he is fit for reentry.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Awesome idea. I strongly recommend that any and every PC Heero rolls up be automatically sent by script to said padded room for period of observation.

Then we'd release his PC to inevitably get killed 2 days later ofc.
Last edited by Ithildur on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Darkmystic
Owlbear

Post by Darkmystic »

Uhm, whats up?
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Guy rolling up characters with 40 or 50 in every stat, running around killing NPCs and as the case may be, PCs (in cases succeeding). Yesterday and today. So... be wary I guess.

DMA Staff
Darkmystic
Owlbear

Post by Darkmystic »

Ouch.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

script that checks the Point Buy
That's just a higher overhead version of the same chase. We write code to block the bad toons; he makes a different sort of bad toon that also needs blocking and is harder to detect. Plus I have to write, test, and release code to do it.

Might be worth it if this was a more common thing-- clear out the poorly-designed trainer usage and only make us handle the complex stuff and such. But at current rates of occurance, it's not likely to be a net benefit. And it doesn't solve the DoS attacks (which, to be clear, we have very few tools to prevent. At best, we make them dedicate more processing power and bandwidth to their attacks).
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

We can add the password back for a week or two until they forget about us.