Sidhe, My thoughts on DMing

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Sidhe

Sidhe, My thoughts on DMing

Post by Sidhe »

Hi Everyone

As a few of you found out someone was kind enough to give me the keys to the cookie jar and I will be distributing cookies to everyone!

On a serious note, unlike TT we don't know each other (something I would like to change) so I will list everything about my GMing style so you can make an informed decision on if it is for you or not.

The Good
  • > I don't care about level, everyone is welcome
  • > Your alignment does not matter
  • > You will never come off financially worse for being in one of my sessions or campaigns
  • > The harder the situation you face, the more experience you will get
  • > I believe in rolls, you will be asked to use the skills you have invested in
  • > I believe in "Heroic Moments"*
  • > I create the story, you decide how to play it - there will be no railroading
  • > You will always be rewarded well for RPing, this includes anything you do outside of a session that enhances the community
  • > Its about the journey, not the destination
  • > I am happy to accept things that are not actually in the game (spells and such)
  • > I will scale the event to be a challenge to the hero's in the group
  • > I am happy to give you an after session download if you like
The Bad
  • > You may die. I give every opportunity to hero's but sometimes it will happen
  • > While you will never be worse off financially, this does not mean you will be an instant Duke
  • > I will use things that I have either made up or are not represented in game (spells, monsters etc)
  • > Events will be scaled to present challenge. Cake walks and uber hard situtations will not be a regular event
  • > I will try to always leave you in a position to play with everyone else after a session, on the rare occasion this may not be possible though
  • > Loot such as gear may not always be divisable. A +1 Holy Longsword cant be divided, you could sell it but consider the paladin in the group - he would be grateful and probably help you get your own next time
The Ugly
  • > No rules lawyers - I am the DM and I believe in rule 0
  • > If at any time you feel uncomfortable, let me know and I can remove you from the session
  • > I rate my sessions as 18+ as they may contain themes I would not be comfortable exposing a young person to. If you are not comfortable with adult themes please do not join, or, see above
  • > I am not interested in your take on how my session should run, if you want something where you are in charge play a single player game
  • > While I don't shun ERP, I would ask that you not RP in that way in my sessions. If an event would lead to that I ask we fade to black
So this may sound a bit OTT but I have been doing this long enough to know that its best to be upfront to avoid as much confrontation as possible.

I hope to see you all in game soon.

~Sid~

*Heroic Moments (tm): We all know a lvl 8 will dominate a lvl 1, but that is no fun when we work in a group dynamic - you always end up feeling like a sidekick. Booo! But when we roll the dice the lvl 1 can shine. An example:

In a recent session a lvl 1 and a much higher were confronted by a hostile. It came to fisticuffs, now both PC's rolled str to knock him out. The higher level rolled poorly, while the lvl 1 rolled a nat 20 and emoted knocking him out like a boss. The lvl 1 is the hero and gets to feel like it.
kid
Dungeon Master

Re: Sidhe, My thoughts on DMing

Post by kid »

I don't know who you are, but I approve this message.

(I would approve this massage too, but you said no ERP)
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I concur with my colleague above. Very sensible and very clearly guidelines Sidhe.

May your sessions be enjoyable for all involved.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Thank you Sidhe, I look forward to seeing you in game. It's great you're DMing! Way to take the ALFA by the horns.

Cheers,

-Galadorn
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Good stuff! Welcome aboard Sidhe! :)

What is TT/OTT? :?
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Welcome, have fun.

(Table Top as in PnP, and Over The Top as in that movie where Sly Stallone puts his hat on backwards a lot.)
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Sidhe Rocks, log in and find out for yourself.

Thanks for the clear and direct guidelines all of which rock as well.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Sounds like Old School DMing to me!

I like it! (because I am old :) )
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

By the by, server is BG, time zone is somewhere in America?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea